• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MrSnert

First Lieutenant
23 Badges
Aug 30, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
Week 1: Welcome to West Africa

Hello and welcome to this weeks Fan Dev Diary, the first in a series where we’ll be looking at the (suggested) changes that will happen in the proposed upcoming West Africa update. Proposed by whom, you say? Well, by me! Obviously. I’m doing it right now.

I’ll be using the lull in dev diary activity, to churn out some ‘dev’ diaries of my own, and hopefully keep you guys entertained and interested throughout. These are not necessarily concrete gameplay suggestions as such, more of an inspiration and a gateway to further exploration of the region. What I hope to illustrate is that there is a whole lot more to African history than you’d think, and maybe inspire people to google a term or two. :)

West Africa is rather underrepresented and underdeveloped in the current game, considering the strength and wealth of its nations in the time period. Huge empires spanned the savannahs and rich trading opportunities attracted European explorers and merchants to defy the often fatal conditions of its tropical shores, where gold, ivory and fine African cloth were on offer. Early European arrivals stood in awe of the splendor of native cities and kingdoms, bowed down to powerful African kings and had to negotiate fiercely and on equal footing with savvy local merchants.

It was only later, as the extraction of raw materials and labour in exchange for manufactured goods increased economic disparities between Europe and Africa, that these relations began to shift. Cowry beads, highly prized by Africans for its use as currency and in rituals, were imported en masse from the Indian Ocean as mere ballast on European vessels, and cheap European and Indian textiles supplanted locally produced African cloth.
As rich mineral deposits were discovered in the Americas the African gold trade was gradually overtaken by slave trade. The extraction of labour, as well as the carrying off of vast amounts of locally grown food that was needed to transport the enslaved across the ocean, left Africa economically stunted.
The increase in wars and raids to meet the growing European appetite for slaves further scarred the region. Finally, powerful jihadi states grew in the interior, with many flocking to its cause as Islam’s tenets protected believers from slavery. Ancient empires fell and entire ethnic groups were uprooted as centuries of tolerance towards traditional practices ended. All of West Africa was destabilized, and left ripe for outside interference and dominion.

In short: EU4’s time period saw many developments in West Africa, and saw it go from being relatively on equal terms with early European contacts to wildly unequal relations.
None of this, not the initial wealth and power of West African states, nor the countless dynamic developments that took place throughout the centuries, is well represented in the current version of the game. This suggested update seeks to remedy that, at least to a small extent.

Now, without further ado, let’s have a look at the regions new map:

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 16.17.59.png

A lot of provinces have been added. Areas that were particularly well developed at the game’s timeframe: the banks of the Niger, the coast of the Bight of Benin, Hausaland and Senegambia have gotten special attention.

This has also allowed for many more nations to be added. ‘Empires’ that were closer to confederacies, like the Jolof and Mossi empires now have their constituent states as playable tags. Most of the Hausa city states are also playable now.

Furthermore, some nations have been added in what was previously unsettled land: particularly around the Bight of Benin and its hinterland. These are mostly small, OPM fetishist nations that will have to contend with greater powers such as Nupe, Oyo and Benin to survive, representing the countless native kingdoms that existed in these areas throughout the game’s timeframe. They also offer a way for fetishist players in the region to build up strength before confronting the more powerful muslims states of the Sahel.

Many uncolonized provinces have been added, particularly on the Gold/Slave Coast, which will allow for a better representation of the string of forts that countless European nations build along these shores, establishing small trading posts and slave entrepôts. We’ll be taking a closer look at all of these as we zoom in on the particular region.

Coastal Gateway: Senegambia

As a little appetizer, today we’ll be taking a closer look at the Senegambia region, that region of Sub-saharan Africa that would make first contact with European explorers coming down the coast from Iberia.

The westernmost provinces of the Mali empire lay here, as well as its smaller rival: the powerful empire of Jolof. Settlements are clustered however around the great rivers that give the region its name: the Gambia and Senegal. Other areas are largely devoid of organised states and can be easily settled by newcomers.

Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 16.20.55.png

Of particular interest to potential colonizers will be the provinces of N’dar (St. Louis), Banjul and Cacheu, as well as Lebu, better known as Cape Vert, which a wealthy nation might be able to charter. Wherever one settles along these shores, however, be mindful to pay proper respect to the powerful Bur, ruler of the Empire of Jolof.
The Empire of Jolof was a confederacy of states; a string of coastal realms dominated by the inland kingdom of Jolof itself. Five kingdoms are traditionally mentioned as vassals to Jolof: Waalu, Cayor, Baol, Sine and Seyoum, four of which are now represented in game. The coastal kingdoms share Serer culture, and are fetishist, whereas their overlord is of the Wolof culture and was Islamic.

It was through their access to horses and thus powerful cavalry, that the rulers of Jolof were able to dominate their neighbours and keep them paying tribute. With the arrival of European traders on the shores of Senegambia however, the Serer states too gained access to horses and became increasingly independent. Horses were in such high demand here that the Portuguese started breeding them on the Cape Verde islands for this reason specifically. Though initially textiles from the region were traded, cheap European cloth increasingly flooded the market, and slaves became the dominant commodity offered in return.

The mission tree for Jolof consists of two seperate branches. One is focused on keeping its coastal vassals in line and integrating them. Securing the coast and moving the capital there, as the historical prince Bemoi did, will lead Jolof to become an Atlantic trade power. The other branch focuses on securing the borders against looming threats; the Mali Empire, the increasing strenght of Kaabu, and the rising power of Fulo. Doing so will lead to eventual expansion into the former heartland of Ghana, and eventually the Mandinge core territories.

Wolof Ideas:*
Traditions:​
-Liberty desire in subjects​
+Cavalry combat ability​
Legacy of Ndiadiane Ndiaye: +diplomatic reputation​
Early adherents of Islam: +religious unity​
Tribute of the Five Kingdoms: +income from vassals​
Ambassadors abroad: +diplomat​
Qadi tribunals: -national unrest​
Wolof Griots: +yearly legitimacy​
Paying the Waref: +tax modifier​
Ambition:​
+ Provincial trade power​

*because I am a historian and not a game designer, I’m merely suggesting bonuses based on historical features of the nation and am leaving particular percentages to the professionals.

Serer Ideas:
+Diplomatic relations​
-national unrest​
Descendents of Jamboon & Againe: +light ship trade power​
Worship of the Pangool: -stability cost modifier​
laamb wrestling: +discipline​
Wassu Stone Circles: +yearly prestige​
The Sacred Point of Sangomar: +naval tradition​
Jola brethren: +max accepted culture​
Settlers of Sayoum: +settler increase​
-shock damage recieved​

To the east of Jolof lays the fertile lands of Futa Tooro along the Senegal river. Here and in surrounding regions the Fulani tribes make their home. They look increasingly set to organise into a powerful kingdom of their own, and their realm of Fulo will spawn here not too far from the start date of the game. Fiercely islamic, these herdsman are driven to expansion by a continuous search for new grazing grounds and the fickle climatic conditions of the region. Fulo spawns with cores on the former heartland of the Ghana empire, now part of Mali, around Wagadu and stretching towards Baghana. Conflict with the Mali empire therefor seems inevitable.

Fulani Ideas:
+Looting speed​
+Cavalry combat ability​
Followers of Tenguella: +morale of armies​
Early adopters of the Faith: +missionary strength​
Code of Munyal: +discipline​
Code of Gacce: +diplomatic reputation​
Code of Hakkile: -aggressive expansion impact​
Code of Sagata: +production efficiency​
The Fula Diaspora: -culture conversion cost​
-advisor cost​

To simulate the diffusion of Fulani around the region, and their employ as herdsman throughout the many states of the Sahel, there will be dynamic events that can happen after 1450. Any savannah provinces (and ones that produce livestock or wool in particular) in the region will have a chance of having their culture changed to Fulani. This might seem destabilizing, but could actually prove an asset to a player, as West African sunni nations that have Fulani as an accepted culture can later form one of the powerful Fulani Jihadi states, Macina for nations in the Mande-culture group and Sokoto for Hausa-states.

That is all for now, next week we’ll have a look at Jolof and Fulo’s big, scary neighbor: the regional powerhouse of Mali as well as its rival, the up and coming empire of Songhai.

See you then!

• 46Like
  • 8Love
Reactions:
I'm very much against adding new provinces and tags, and in favour to decreasing their numbers.

Decrease the numbers elsewhere. The region is lacking because there are too many provinces in the other areas, setting it behind. This much is necessary, especially when you consider the actual wealth and army sizes of the region during this time.

That absolutely has no purpose (decreasing province numbers). Paradox games are clearly going towards adding many provinces (such as in Imperator). EU4 will follow this trend, nothing will change that.

It absolutely has purpose. Province count affect development, the relative power of each node, dev count, size of cultures, strategic bottlenecks and a whole host of other things. Therefore I think that province count is one of the most important aspects of the game that are given very little attention aside from more = better. That also means that I think some areas should have less provinces rather than more (namely Europe, India, China).

About The games moving in the direction of more tags, I know. I've been following the development of CK III and I:R and, while I adore the map, I disapprove of tag density and province count of those games.

Decrease the numbers elsewhere. The region is lacking because there are too many provinces in the other areas, setting it behind. This much is necessary, especially when you consider the actual wealth and army sizes of the region during this time.

Again, I'm not sure that province count and tag density is to blame here. west African nations, in general, suffer from weak ideas, bad trade node, poor starting institutions and institution spread, strong rivals (Colonizers), being prone to lose territory from Charter TC, lack of events and unique mechanics, low RU.

The argument that so and so is poorly represented if taken into account their IRL wealth and troop count can be applied to many places in the game and you would most likely be right. However, the way to remedy this isn't by inflating dev or creating more provinces, no. There are other tools available for the devs to strengthen countries that do not involve putting a bigger burden on the game performance.

west African nations, in general, suffer from weak ideas,

Agreed. Small portion of the issue.

bad trade node

Directly tied to province development.

poor starting institutions and institution spread,

Tied to a lack of province dev.

strong rivals (Colonizers)

Caused by the development disparity.

being prone to lose territory from Charter TC,

Not much, in my experience.

lack of events and unique mechanics, low RU.

I agree with the first two, but RU isn't an issue for Sunni nations. All of them can get and maintain at least a +4 Tolerance of Heathens bonus. The issue is with Fetishists, who have nothing beyond their initial +2 Tolerance bonus, and a bunch of weak bonuses to choose between.

There are other tools available for the devs to strengthen countries that do not involve putting a bigger burden on the game performance.

Again, my point is that, if game performance is really a concern, they should siphon provinces and dev from overburdened regions, such as the American midwest or Siberia.

• 1Like
Reactions:
It absolutely has purpose. Province count affect development, the relative power of each node, dev count, size of cultures, strategic bottlenecks and a whole host of other things. Therefore I think that province count is one of the most important aspects of the game that are given very little attention aside from more = better. That also means that I think some areas should have less provinces rather than more (namely Europe, India, China).

About The games moving in the direction of more tags, I know. I've been following the development of CK III and I:R and, while I adore the map, I disapprove of tag density and province count of those games.

Again, I'm not sure that province count and tag density is to blame here. west African nations, in general, suffer from weak ideas, bad trade node, poor starting institutions and institution spread, strong rivals (Colonizers), being prone to lose territory from Charter TC, lack of events and unique mechanics, low RU.

The argument that so and so is poorly represented if taken into account their IRL wealth and troop count can be applied to many places in the game and you would most likely be right. However, the way to remedy this isn't by inflating dev or creating more provinces, no. There are other tools available for the devs to strengthen countries that do not involve putting a bigger burden on the game performance.
There is no purpose in arguing that West Africa should have less provinces if WE KNOW that Paradox's plan is to add more. What is important is considering what to add; what's important in the area, accurate historical representation, and balanced gameplay. There will NOT be a reduction in provinces, that is for certain.

There is no purpose in arguing that West Africa should have less provinces if WE KNOW that Paradox's plan is to add more. What is important is considering what to add; what's important in the area, accurate historical representation, and balanced gameplay. There will NOT be a reduction in provinces, that is for certain.

I wasn't calling for a reduction on the number of provinces in West Africa. Instead, I pointed out how I disliked that this rework of West Africa would add many more provinces.

Again, I think arguing that there should be less provinces overall is valid and a discussion that doesn't really happen in this forum. I also don't see how this can be negated by knowing that they intend to add more provinces.

Also, don't you think that you saying that there is no point in arguing for less provinces if we know that they will add more, if it was a good point, would invalidates almost every single discussion? If one cannot argue for something when knowing that the devs intend on doing the opposite, how do you expect the community to have a true discussion instead of just going with whatever the devs are doing?

I would like to add that you can add three new countries on the Ghana coast and these are Mankessim Kingdom and Ahanta Kingdom and Akyem kotoku.

it would look like this
Screenshot 2020-06-03 at 16.17.59.png

Reactions:
20200701_233105-jpg.596225

This map is from the Cambridge history of africa vol. 3. Might help a bit with your map, OP. Waalo is south of the Senegal. Also Djenne is the french name, just Jenne is sufficient. A few other things but hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20200701_233105.jpg
    20200701_233105.jpg
    1,4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I would like to add that you can add three new countries on the Ghana coast and these are Mankessim Kingdom and Ahanta Kingdom and Akyem kotoku.

it would look like this
View attachment 596049

I decided to look for some information about the situation in Ghana and Togo in 1444. Here is a proposal to configure Ghana and Togo in 1444.
The proposal is not perfect, but thanks to this configuration, the area of Ghana and Togo may gain a little more accuracy. Of course, there should also be an event that causes the emergence of Ashanti kingdom.

here is the map
country.jpg
20200704173636_1.jpg
In the north of Ghana we have the Kingdom of Wala, it was founded by Wala People who are Muslims. Unfortunately, it is not known when exactly the country was formed.
Under the wala kingdom is the dagbon kingdom which has changed its position a bit, the same applies to the Bonoman kingdom.

Under the bonoman kingdom there is a new country that can be called either Adansi or Akyem. This country will include the uncolonized denkyira and kumasi provinces. The capital will be in the province of Kumasi because there is Fomena the capital of the Adansi people.

There are two kingdoms by the sea: Ahanta and Mankessim.
Ahanta
Mankessim
In the area of the current Togo there is a new country the kingdom of Tado
information in French:

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
20200701_233105-jpg.596225

This map is from the Cambridge history of africa vol. 3. Might help a bit with your map, OP. Waalo is south of the Senegal. Also Djenne is the french name, just Jenne is sufficient. A few other things but hope this helps.

Cheers, but you can bet I am familiar with this map. Still, Waalo was situated on the Senegal with its capital moving to both sides of the river on and off. My placement is based on more than simply the name-placement on one map. Extending it this far north is likely slightly inaccurate, I’ll admit, although the whole area north of the Senegal would require a rework, with Moorish and Mauritanian tags etc. to make the whole region more accurate. That is beyond the scope of my little project, although I do believe there is a suggestion for such a rework out there.

Cheers, but you can bet I am familiar with this map. Still, Waalo was situated on the Senegal with its capital moving to both sides of the river on and off. My placement is based on more than simply the name-placement on one map. Extending it this far north is likely slightly inaccurate, I’ll admit, although the whole area north of the Senegal would require a rework, with Moorish and Mauritanian tags etc. to make the whole region more accurate. That is beyond the scope of my little project, although I do believe there is a suggestion for such a rework out there.
I suggest looking into the Godala and Darmankour. The Godala controlled the mouth of the Senegal, both north and south of it. These Berbers often tried to control the Walo as well. I'm quite confused as to why there seems to be a lot of pushback on Berber representation in the area.

I suggest looking into the Godala and Darmankour. The Godala controlled the mouth of the Senegal, both north and south of it. These Berbers often tried to control the Walo as well. I'm quite confused as to why there seems to be a lot of pushback on Berber representation in the area.

If you represent Berbers in the desert, you'd have to give them a number of 1/1/1 desert provinces, then suddenly realize that they've made a number of Savanna regions equivalent to desert ones.

If you represent Berbers in the desert, you'd have to give them a number of 1/1/1 desert provinces, then suddenly realize that they've made a number of Savanna regions equivalent to desert ones.
The development will definitely have to be revamped throughout the area, very true.

This is an excellent start! Africa is poorly covered in EU4 an West Africa especially needs more attention. Let me know if you ever are wanting to help out on a mod project specifically for Africa in EU4 ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very good, I have 4 suggestions:

1 - Considering that Fulo was a important kingdom for the region in the timeframe of the game and considering that it spawns not too far from the start date of the game, I think that devs should be a little ahistorical and make Fulo a tag playable since 1444 (it was made before with Sulu Sultanate and Madagascar tags and will be made soon with Aceh Sultanate).

2- Like Fulo, Ashanti spawn by event too, in this case I think that if the player is playing with Bonoman when Ashanti spawn a event will appear with the option for the player tag switch to Ashanti.

3 - Late game there should exist a good event chain for the Fulani wars and for the formation of Sokoto.

4- I think that should be more difficult for non-african powers conquer inland provinces in sub-saharan Africa but I am not certain about how it could be represented in game mechanics.

Western Africa and Africa in general need a upgrade, a immersion pack for Africa would be a good idea after the SEA rework currently in progress.

I think that should be more difficult for non-african powers conquer inland provinces in sub-saharan Africa but I am not certain about how it could be represented in game mechanics.

Really, all that's needed is for the inland states to provide appropriate levels of resistance. Just match the tech/institution level to that of everyone else from the start, rather than having the states wait for Feudalism. They'd proven their ability to meet the Europeans in combat, both on land and on the water, right from the moment they first met.

Really, all that's needed is for the inland states to provide appropriate levels of resistance. Just match the tech/institution level to that of everyone else from the start, rather than having the states wait for Feudalism. They'd proven their ability to meet the Europeans in combat, both on land and on the water, right from the moment they first met.
I am not certain about it, the problem is not early game tech, the problem is that in mid game european powers are so rich that they can just stomp africans and conquer vast swaths of territory inland in Africa. Maybe sub-saharan african units should have a buff when fighting in their hometurf, like nomad units have a buff when fighting in steppes?

Reactions:
I am not certain about it, the problem is not early game tech, the problem is that in mid game european powers are so rich that they can just stomp africans and conquer vast swaths of territory inland in Africa. Maybe sub-saharan african units should have a buff when fighting in their hometurf, like nomad units have a buff when fighting in steppes?

That's why the provinces need buffing.

I know I'm late, but this is extremely commendable, well done. Much better and cleaner than I could have done. However looking at the amount of provinces that Mali, Songhai, Bornu have been given, I still think southern Nigeria and Ghana need more as well. Yorubaland and Igboland have always very complex, diverse and populous regions. Also, instead of an Igbo tag, I would suggest highlighting some states that eventually became major players in the slave trade: Calabar, Bonny, Aro, Opobo, etc.

I know I'm late, but this is extremely commendable, well done. Much better and cleaner than I could have done. However looking at the amount of provinces that Mali, Songhai, Bornu have been given, I still think southern Nigeria and Ghana need more as well. Yorubaland and Igboland have always very complex, diverse and populous regions. Also, instead of an Igbo tag, I would suggest highlighting some states that eventually became major players in the slave trade: Calabar, Bonny, Aro, Opobo, etc.

Nri should definitely be kept, as the head of Igboland.