• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Geredis

Major
123 Badges
Mar 10, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • War of the Roses
  • War of the Vikings
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
Out of curiosity, but are there any plans for a relationship or family/clan tree viewer? I'd love to see the relationships between all the various clans, and even just within my own in a far easier way than clicking from one portrait to the next and keeping track of all of that in a rather messy fashion.

I would be interested if this could be modded in to, but not sure if it can be.. Probably have more of a chance of an external one being produce more than anything else.. However, the problem is Sengoku is not really a game based on the Characters yea it's there and it's sort of interesting, but it's more about the "conquest" than anything else.. So I really doubt you'll see anyone take a major stab at it.. I mean it wasn't done for EU: Rome, and to be honest that had a lot more character driven aspects then Sengoku at the moment (of course nothing compares it to original CK, lol), and we never saw one there.

Naturally, that won't be the case come Feb with CK II which have a full blown Family Tree built into the game itself.. So, Perhaps down the line that team will share the code with the Sengoku Team, that's probably you're best bet to ever seeing something like that in Sengoku.

Seems like all that's needed is a program to convert Sengoku save files into a common genealogy file format such as GEDCOM. The converted file could then be opened in freeware genealogy software. It wouldn't be integrated with the game or even real-time, obviously, but Sengoku appears to be alt+tab friendly.

This would be great, it would allow me to keep track of exactly how much incest is going on in my court.
I married my son to a 70-something-year-old woman because she had great stats. Checked her family just because, noticed she only had one living sister. Checked that sister, turned out she was one of my father's wives. Come to think of it, I don't remember if she was my own mother or one of my siblings', but I still found it funny.

I've followed through on my suggestion to convert the Sengoku save file into the GEDCOM format. Here's a sample of what I get, interpreted by Genealogica Grafica:

s2g01.jpg

This is a Python script (version 2.x required). Whatever GEDCOM interpreter you use, it will most likely throw a bunch of warnings, but should otherwise work. There are bound to be bugs, and the script is rather bare bones. Also, GEDCOM doesn't understand vassal-master relationships, so this will only show blood and marriage relations. Consider this a stop-gap measure to hold us over until Paradox adds their own relations viewer to the game.

Attachments

• sengoku2gedcom 2011 Sep 24.zip
    3 KB · Views: 36
If Sengoku becomes really successful, its something we'll look into adding.

Well, according to PI own words it is working quite good.

I've followed through on my suggestion to convert the Sengoku save file into the GEDCOM format. Here's a sample of what I get, interpreted by Genealogica Grafica:
View attachment 40393

And it looks it wouldn't take too much time/resources implementing such a neat feature. Leyic didn't and looks like it works like a charm! :)

Keep pushing please, it's a great additional feature that MUST be added. :ninja:

I just tried it. But hwen I launch the python thing, I Just get a command prompt to flash up for about two seconds then it vanishes. There's no opportunity to follow the directions.

I just tried it. But hwen I launch the python thing, I Just get a command prompt to flash up for about two seconds then it vanishes. There's no opportunity to follow the directions.
Same here. I opened it in my own cmd window to get the following error.

####################################################
Error opening file. Check file name. Expect a crash.
####################################################

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\XXX\Desktop\t\sengoku2gedcom.py", line 17, in <module>
position = file.tell()
TypeError: descriptor 'tell' of 'file' object needs an argument
It does not appear to be using local path correctly.

Anyway, I then ran it with the correct full path to get another error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\XXX\Desktop\t\sengoku2gedcom.py", line 130, in <module>
person_list[-1].child.append(int(temp_string))
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
I took a brief look in the code, but I am not a big python coder and could not discover the issue. I hope this helps with your project. I just love the idea of having my family tree.

Geredis, you need to run the script from a command prompt to keep the window from disappearing if it crashes. Easiest way is to create a new text file in the same directory, enter the text 'cmd' (less quotes), and rename the extension to '.bat' (less quotes). Double click that and type the file name with extension to get the script started. Let me know what error message it gives you.

autumnTwilight, the script doesn't check the path at all, so the script and save file need to be in the same directory to avoid that first crash. Your second crash is happening because there's something in your save file I didn't anticipate. I'd ask you to send it, but it'll be easier in the long run for me to throw some debugging options into the script. Hopefully I'll have a new version up in the next couple of days.

autumnTwilight, the script doesn't check the path at all, so the script and save file need to be in the same directory to avoid that first crash.
They were in the same folder. I had them both in a folder on my desktop. That is why I assumed there was an issue with the program not correctly using the local file path.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more development on the program. It has a lot of potential.

Here's a new version with improved error handling and a couple bug fixes. The script will also convert birth and death dates now.

Edit:
The relationships in this game can get interesting:
Code:
Suwa, Ine is the mother of Suwa, Eishi. 
Suwa, Ine is the niece of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestor is Suwa, Masamitsu.
Suwa, Ine is the first cousin of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestor is Suwa, Nobumitsu.

Suwa, Masamitsu is the father of Suwa, Eishi. 
Suwa, Masamitsu is the great grandfather of Suwa, Eishi. 
Suwa, Masamitsu is the granduncle of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestor is Suwa, Nobumitsu.

Suwa, Kesa is the partner of Suwa, Eishi. 
Suwa, Kesa is the niece of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestor is Suwa, Masamitsu.
Suwa, Kesa is the first cousin once removed (up) of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestors are Suwa, Ayamachi and Suwa, Masamitsu.
Suwa, Kesa is the second cousin of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestor is Suwa, Nobumitsu.
Amazingly, Suwa Eishi has none of the negative genetic traits.

Attachments

• sengoku2gedcom 2011 Sep 25.zip
    3,8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Here's a new version with improved error handling and a couple bug fixes. The script will also convert birth and death dates now.

Edit:
The relationships in this game can get interesting:
Code:
Suwa, Ine is the mother of Suwa, Eishi. 
Suwa, Ine is the niece of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestor is Suwa, Masamitsu.
Suwa, Ine is the first cousin of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestor is Suwa, Nobumitsu.

Suwa, Masamitsu is the father of Suwa, Eishi. 
Suwa, Masamitsu is the great grandfather of Suwa, Eishi. 
Suwa, Masamitsu is the granduncle of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestor is Suwa, Nobumitsu.

Suwa, Kesa is the partner of Suwa, Eishi. 
Suwa, Kesa is the niece of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestor is Suwa, Masamitsu.
Suwa, Kesa is the first cousin once removed (up) of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestors are Suwa, Ayamachi and Suwa, Masamitsu.
Suwa, Kesa is the second cousin of Suwa, Eishi.  Their common ancestor is Suwa, Nobumitsu.
Amazingly, Suwa Eishi has none of the negative genetic traits.

:huh: That's Hilarious!

Apparently in one of the games I have played, there was a man who was married to the daughter of his daughter-in-law. So his daughter-in-law also happened to be his mother-in-law. Must have been awkward family dinners.

He also happened to become paternal great-grandfather and maternal grandfather to the same person.

Could you post the exact error message you're getting? Right click in the command prompt, 'Select All', ctrl+c, then ctrl+v in the reply box. It may take a few tries to get it to copy properly. You may also want to censor the path before posting if it contains your real name.