• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Some changes with Families in Cicero.

- Families now keep track of how many children they have in total.
- Courtsize limit lowered to 120 (only non-foreign counted)
- Foreign characters will now have less children.
- Families with less than 4 current children will now be allowed more children.

Here is a screenshot from my Thrace game...

2019_07_03_1.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does this mean we will have fewer families but more important and with more members? If so, I cannot but praise the change

Whats that new senator icon next to the % of families? Senatorial influence of the family? Im already hyped. Please, tell us about it in tomorrow's mini dev diary! Or maybe the influence and power of the family within your country, which is connected to other features now as well?

Whats that new senator icon next to the % of families? Senatorial influence of the family? Im already hyped. Please, tell us about it in tomorrow's mini dev diary! Or maybe the influence and power of the family within your country, which is connected to other features now as well?
Since Johan is playing a monarchy in the picture I doubt it’s related to the senate.

Does this mean we will have fewer families but more important and with more members? If so, I cannot but praise the change

Maybe the total political power of the family?

Isn't that the symbol used for the powerbase? Maybe thats the combined powerbase of the family

Nice that there is now power base for families.
Regarding the number of families, do you still want to keep the event where you can chose to keep or kill the 4 biggest families of every country you’ve conquered?

In my opinion these don’t really add anything to the gameplay.
At the beginning you say yes to same culture families to get more people, but very rapidly I end up killing everybody...

This seems like very agreeable changes.

would be cool to have more of an UI for families; being able to sort on scorned/not scorned as well as on the other categories.

also, "family prestiege" - what is it really? will there be any more hooks from other game mechanics for this metric in 1.2 or is it still just an opaque number only used for some events? ... it could have a small effect on popularity for example?

Last edited:
What will happen if the limit of 120 characters clashes with the less than 4 children rule?

Because, and i really don't want to be that guy but oh well, 25 years in and the Hippostratid already died out (technically). While this happened in reality (and is rng in a nutshell :p), it's one of my bigger gripes with the game, as i find it really anti-climatic to see your court shrink (or in the best possible case stagnate) while your empire expands and the capital gets wealthier and wealthier. So, imho, not only should court-size be relative to empire-size, but there should also be events for adoption (if you want the player to decide which families die out) or new same-culture families that compete for power after a certain amount of expansion and/or time.

Dude, I would fly over there and make you the most delicious Spaghetti bolognese then we could have a little, you know, snuggle, on the couch - if you added Family Trees, and if the offices the characters held were a pop up when you hovered over them. Feed me my brain story cookies!