• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice seeing Russia in there but why did they stack all their divisions in one area :confused:

Good to see the Polish navy fighting it!

Black Lotus said:
Nice seeing Russia in there but why did they stack all their divisions in one area :confused:

I think that the events that gave the Russians their divisions placed them in one place. Once they invaded, the troops dispersed and efficiently overran my few garrison divisions.

Stonewall said:
On September 15th, German units crossed the Vistula and began an assault on Warsaw. The atack was repulsed by the brave Polish defenders. One report revealed that a Polish cavalry division successfully charged a German panzer formation.

Post Game Commentary: Krieg played an excellent game. I used some gamey tactics and retreated my units into Warsaw as soon as it became apparent I couldn't defend anywhere else. So, don't believe him when he says he made tons of mistakes. The Germans are hard pressed to win in a historical manner in this particular MP scenario. The disposition of forces is such that Poland should be able to hold out until at least mid October, which I managed to accomplish.
Not to be nitpicky, but Polish cavalry never charged German tanks, it was propaganda.

About the scenario, well, a game changes one main component - ie: high command. Since in this Polish HC was doing worse than German its no surprise that scenario is harder for Germans that history was (given all other things are kept historically balanced). After all, you did defend by two weeks more than historically.

Dhatori said:
Well not in our world. But this is an AAR. :)
Oh, i know, but i somehow felt Stonewall wasn't aware of it and felt an urge to explain. I probably should have also explained that, too :)

DarthMaur said:
Oh, i know, but i somehow felt Stonewall wasn't aware of it and felt an urge to explain. I probably should have also explained that, too :)

Nah. I knew about the Polish cavalry versus German tanks stuff. I thought the reference would be a nice touch. Plus, in this case, my cavalry did actually charge the German tanks. :)

Wow. Great AAR. I like that it was done off of an MP. Got anymore planned to be released?

spawn847 said:
Wow. Great AAR. I like that it was done off of an MP. Got anymore planned to be released?

I'd like to do a few more playing a 2 or 3 player battlescenario. I'm not up for a multiplayer grand campaign yet, but one of the side effects of having so many battlescenarios is that many of them can be played in a couple hours. Perfect for one night of gaming.

The Polish campaign wasn't all good for the Germans IRL... I read one source that said the Pnz. I's had nice little targets painted on the side (German (Iron?) crosses) for the AT guns to shoot at :)

one thing that you could do to balance the scenario out a bit (if it hasn't been already done) is to reduce the starting org of some of the Polish units in the interior of the country is because historically some of those units were just starting to get assembled when war broke out.

According to a disposition map on pg 7 of The Polish Army 1939-45 (Osprey books) the following 15 Divisions were only partially mobilized

#s 1,5,11,13,19,20,24,29,30,33,35,38,39,41,44 (that's 15 out of the entire OOB)

also, is the a light Armor Brigade attached (it's a good way of representing "the 3 battalions of excellent light tanks to add to the hundreds of tiny tankettes" that Poland had managed to acquire) to one of the divisions near Krakow? It was called the 10th Mechanized Bde and it managed to do a fighting retreat to Rumania and from there to France, it didn't escape the Fall of France.

I'd recommend maybe 2x Early Anti-Tank Bdes to simulate the use of "the excellent Bofors 37mm anti-tank gun and a Polish-designed anti-tank rifle that would give the Germans a very rough time in 1939).

I'd also suggest maybe 2x Great War Light Arty Bdes to simulate the use of horse-drawn artillery leftover from the fall of Czarist Russia, Austria-Hungary and Germany.

lowering the org of the 15 mentionned divisions to maybe half or a third and adding suggested 5 bdes would go a long way to improving the accuracy of this scenario.

contrary to popular belief the Polish armed forces actually did more damage to the Nazis then the French did, so I for one think that it might be nice if the Germans bled a little while taking Poland in HoI2.

btw Stonewall: the same disposition map clearly shows that more then 1/3 of the attacking force was pointed at the gap in between Lodz and Krakow, so it sounds like the set up is correct.

Last edited:
Stonewall said:
Sidenote: Krieg and I had a wager a few months ago. Loser got to be Poland and had to write an AAR detailing his humiliation. Guess who lost? :D

What was the wager about? :)

(Great AAR as well, but I make it a sideline to keep the praise balanced)

Stingray said:
What was the wager about? :)

(Great AAR as well, but I make it a sideline to keep the praise balanced)

We wagered on the turnout numbers for the US Presidential election this past November. His predictions for turnout were better than mine, even if my guy ended upwinning. :D

Careful Plum said:
Hmmm... why can't I see the screenshots? Just the red arrow thinggie. :(

Sorry about that. I was hosting the images on my own server. Since I'm somewhat limited in the amount of bandwidth I am allowed to use, once it crossed the 785mb mark for the month of January, I took the screenies down. If I can find a way to turn those images into 15-20k jpeg's, I'll be happy to put them back up. However, the smallest I could get them to was 95k.