Faerûn - Forgotten Realms, Dungeons and Dragons mod - Open Beta [0.7.0 03/06/2023] on GitHub and Steam Workshop!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
"Feast of the Moon" Experimental Update coming in the next 24 hours or so - stay tuned!

• 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Unnumbered experimental release 'Feast of the Moon'
  • 9Like
Reactions:
So I can't seem to find what the requirements as far as CK2 expansions are for this mod. Which, if any, are required?

(Also, I assume it's compatible with the current 3.3 version, right?)

So I can't seem to find what the requirements as far as CK2 expansions are for this mod. Which, if any, are required?

(Also, I assume it's compatible with the current 3.3 version, right?)
No expansions are required, and Horse Lords, The Republic, and Jade Dragon are all specifically supported. The mod works with version 3.3.3, yes.

nd

Reactions:
So, not to keep asking questions, but... how exactly do I actually get this to work? I downloaded the latest release from GitHub and unzipped it, then copied the folder into Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/mod, but it didn't show up as a selectable mod when I tried to launch the game. I copied the Faerun.mod file into the main /mod folder and it did then show up, but when I selected it and started the game there was literally no effect. I tried looking at the CK2 wiki's pages on modding for help, but they're written from the assumption that the user is making their own mod and therefore were useless. The only mod I've tried before was the Game of Thrones mod, which comes with its own pre-made installation application that took care of everything on its own.

I have no idea what to do, and I'd really like to try this mod. Please help.

Edit: I also tried moving the Faerun.mod file into the /mod folder, but that had the same effect as copying it.

Okay so I downloaded the mod off the github and I did the following.

Open the downloaded zip folder.
Drag and drop Faerun and Faerun.mod into Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
Run CK2. Switch over to the mods tab. Tick Faerun.

Worked first try.

If you don't want the experimental version just download it off moddb or steam workshop (which is easier.)

"I also tried moving the Faerun.mod file into the /mod folder, but that had the same effect as copying it. "
Yeah moving a file is just cut paste. So pretty much the same thing. Unless you're moving it from a zip which would literally be copy paste.

Only issue I can see you having is game version? Are you updated to the latest version of CK2?

Last edited:
Reactions:
Apologies for double-posting, but I ran a pair of observe games to get a quick, hands-off look at the mod and wanted to offer my results:

The level of detail in the mod is incredible. I spent hours watching a game that actually only ran for about 6 1/2 years, because there was so much to keep track of. I definitely spotted bits where canon details could be added, and would be happy to volunteer to help with this, but given the relatively early build it's amazingly complete.

Some observations of potential issues:
  • The "famous villains" system may need some kind of regional limitations. The sultan of Zakhara declared a war against the villainy of Manshoon and put action to words by marching his army across the entire map to occupy Zhentil Keep, in what must have taken in-game years. This seems silly.
  • Xeno Mirrormane, the Zhentish high priest of Cyric, had three sons and a daughter, and the daughter got married to the oldest son. AFAIK there is absolutely no canon basis for this, nor does the tooltip for the Cyricist religion mention that it allows incest. I dunno what happened.
  • Some famous characters are conspicuously lacking in claims that they probably should have. I spent a while hoping to see the fey'ri invasion event trigger (I started in 1365), and instead they just randomly trickled in as courtiers to Hellgate Keep - but it wound up being a moot point, because the Dlardrageths have no claims on Siluvanede or Myth Drannor, meaning they wouldn't have done much anyway. Likewise, I spotted Tchazzar randomly hanging out at the court of Balagos the Flying Flame, with no claim to Chessenta or any ambitions to it.
  • Some races may need a stronger attraction penalty to other races. Zulkir Lauzoril of Thay was cuckolded by an attractive seducer gnoll. It was hilarious, and I guess strictly speaking there's no reason to assume Faerun doesn't have furries, but still.
  • Dunno if this is actually undesirable or not, but a lot of long-lived people are getting married to random outsiders.
Overall, though, really great work!

Reactions:
Apologies for double-posting, but I ran a pair of observe games to get a quick, hands-off look at the mod and wanted to offer my results:

The level of detail in the mod is incredible. I spent hours watching a game that actually only ran for about 6 1/2 years, because there was so much to keep track of. I definitely spotted bits where canon details could be added, and would be happy to volunteer to help with this, but given the relatively early build it's amazingly complete.

• The "famous villains" system may need some kind of regional limitations. The sultan of Zakhara declared a war against the villainy of Manshoon and put action to words by marching his army across the entire map to occupy Zhentil Keep, in what must have taken in-game years. This seems silly.
  • Xeno Mirrormane, the Zhentish high priest of Cyric, had three sons and a daughter, and the daughter got married to the oldest son. AFAIK there is absolutely no canon basis for this, nor does the tooltip for the Cyricist religion mention that it allows incest. I dunno what happened.
  • Some famous characters are conspicuously lacking in claims that they probably should have. I spent a while hoping to see the fey'ri invasion event trigger (I started in 1365), and instead they just randomly trickled in as courtiers to Hellgate Keep - but it wound up being a moot point, because the Dlardrageths have no claims on Siluvanede or Myth Drannor, meaning they wouldn't have done much anyway. Likewise, I spotted Tchazzar randomly hanging out at the court of Balagos the Flying Flame, with no claim to Chessenta or any ambitions to it.
  • Some races may need a stronger attraction penalty to other races. Zulkir Lauzoril of Thay was cuckolded by an attractive seducer gnoll. It was hilarious, and I guess strictly speaking there's no reason to assume Faerun doesn't have furries, but still.
  • Dunno if this is actually undesirable or not, but a lot of long-lived people are getting married to random outsiders.
We'll look into the rest, but we think we've hit a solution for the gnoll issue.

Thank you for the detailed feedback! Btw, if you want to volunteer, that's awesome! Please join our discord https://discord.com/invite/9buWZK9

Reactions:
A few assorted bugs from the experimental version (spoilered due to a ton of screenshots):

- I can't join the Cult of Asmodeus due to "not being a sinner" despite having both Lustful and Greedy.

ck2_2.png

ck2_1.png

- succ_divine_dynastic and succ_divine_dynastic_desc are missing.

ck2_3.png

- Not sure if it's a bug, but I noticed succ_divine_dynastic uses the feudal_elective rather than the tanistry base_type, which seems a bit strange, even if it appears to be restricted to dynastic candidates.

- Not sure if it's a bug, but the divine_elective and divine_dynastic voting patterns don't seem to put a ton of emphasis on religion, and someone's patron deity doesn't seem to matter except as far as straight opinion checks goes. This seems a bit strange, since vanilla's pagan branches matter.

- Judging by the voting pattern, AI electors are supposed to be a bit more likely (+15) to vote for the ruler's dynasty under Divine Elective, but my vassals don't seem to care about it one way or the other.

ck2_10.png

- Celestial Bureaucracy's description contains the word "Confucian" a couple of times for the Protector-General's government (but not for the Shou Lung emperor's government, despite that one sharing the name).

ck2_4.png

ck2_5.png

- Mulhorand has a tributary that's a vassal of another liege. Not sure if this is a bug, but based off of vanilla it's certainly odd.

ck2_7.png

- The magocracy government appears to have vanished from the map for no discernable reason. Thay was inherited by a Cleric (not sure exactly what happened; their original ruler is still alive but landless), which I suppose might explain that one, but unless I misremember Halruaa started as a magocracy too and their original ruler is still around, and there might be others missing too.

ck2_6.png

- Yaïmunnahar is currently waging a county-level war to drive out monsters. I'd say it's rather wasteful for not-Genghis to wage such wars when he has other CBs, so telling the AI not to use the CB in his case might be a good idea.

ck2_8.png

Finally, some sexuality-related oddities that might be worth taking a look at (even if I understand they're probably less important than actual Faerûn-related stuff):

- I got the "Carpenter's daughter/Farrier's apprentice" Conclave adolescence event and noticed that a Bisexual trait is in the mod (I've not played it previously), which is nice. However, I'd say it's a bit odd that there's a 0 % chance of picking it up if you pick the opposite sex option, seeing as that really doesn't rule out being bisexual, so I'd say there probably should be a small chance of getting the Bisexual trait if you pick that option. This would also go for any other similar events (I don't remember how many events there are that give you a sexuality trait, but there are at least some others).

- Related to the above, the string "bisexual" shows up in very few files compared to the string "homosexual". I suppose scripted_triggers or _effects might explain part of it, but at the very least I'd hazard a guess that e.g. random same-sex event lovers haven't been updated to sometimes be bisexual, and depending on exactly what's been done where attraction is checked in various vanilla events it's possible bisexual characters always get lovers of a specific sex in a specific event (e.g. if the event is scripted "If attracted to men, create/find a possible male lover. Else create/find a possible female lover." a bisexual character would always get a possible male lover).

- Related to the above, I noticed RIP.4017 (the "Fertility potion works TOO well" vanilla event) has been updated to give either the Homosexual or the Bisexual trait. While I'd say it's better than the way vanilla does it (i.e. giving you the Homosexual trait 100 % of the time), it feels kind of odd that the event can give you opposite sex lovers at the same time as it gives you the Homosexual trait, and it's also rather odd that the female lovers the male ROOT gets can be Homosexual.

Reactions:
Silversweeper, thank you for the excellent bug list! We are in the process of reorganising our government types and succession laws a bit, so I think you've found some parts that we missed. And you're right that sexuality is mostly covered by scripted triggers, which is why the bisexual trait isn't mentioned as much as the homosexual one - but also, we were discussing making more use of both it and 'androgynous' recently, so while we are looking into the specific issues you've reported, we might slip it in (oo-er) in a few more places.

Many thanks,

nd

I started a playthrough as Hordes of Dragonspear, and I noticed a few odd behaviours. Master Bazzak was the sole member of the Society of Asmodeus, and it didn't show up on the societies tab at all, even though it showed me as an apprentice. With increasing Dark Power i got the vanilla effects of being possessed, frail of body etc, which just seems wrong for a devil in particular and in world where worship of the dark powers leads to increased personal power in the same way that worship of the gods does in general. Maybe remove those penalties or at least adjust them to make them somewhat more fitting to the campaign setting?

A few more minor things from the experimental version:

- The description for holy wars mentions Muslims.

ck2_11.png

- The "The Shining Sea" region seems to be missing the duchy of Treshla since The Thorns being separate from the rest of the region presumably is incorrect. Alternatively, the duchy of The Thorns should not be part of the region. The duchy of Mirkazar might also be missing from the region since the rest of the Calim Empire appears to be part of it, but maybe that's intentional.

ck2_12.png

- I forgot to screenshot it, but when I waged a Bhaalspawn Extermnation war for the inland county in the duchy of Agis I got the Bhaalspawn count there as a vassal when I won. Might be working as intended, but the CB name and brief description makes it sound like killing or evicting the Bhaalspawn is the goal.

Reactions:
I started a playthrough as Hordes of Dragonspear, and I noticed a few odd behaviours. Master Bazzak was the sole member of the Society of Asmodeus, and it didn't show up on the societies tab at all, even though it showed me as an apprentice. With increasing Dark Power i got the vanilla effects of being possessed, frail of body etc, which just seems wrong for a devil in particular and in world where worship of the dark powers leads to increased personal power in the same way that worship of the gods does in general. Maybe remove those penalties or at least adjust them to make them somewhat more fitting to the campaign setting?
Can you check some of your game rules? Specifically, the game rule on satanist cults and on religious secret cults.