Faerûn - Forgotten Realms, Dungeons and Dragons mod - Open Beta [0.7.0 03/06/2023] on GitHub and Steam Workshop!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another small update today, with experimental release 94, but it fixes several crucial bugs:

History
  • A new historical Magister
  • Some title history glitches fixed
Culture
  • More cultures have descriptions
Wonders
  • Raurindi culture can build pyramids
  • Hindu temple removed completely
  • Burial ground upgrades correctly flagged
  • New 'barrow' upgrade for stone circle
Nicknames
  • Yet more nicknames
Bugfixes
  • Reduced lag due to 'Cuckold' nickname
  • Historical wonders correctly flagged and barred from being duplicated
  • You can now safely join the Black Network if you hold, or are vassal to, the Zhentarim title
  • Generated barons' culture will no longer be wrongly randomised, but will instead be fixed
  • Block some god names from changing when they shouldn't
  • Lots more loc fixes
  • Vanilla mercenary princess gets her correct troops
  • Sending concubines to Shou Lung reflects the emperor's sexuality
  • You cannot send creatures with unusual reproduction to Shou Lung as concubines or eunuchs, nor those without hands as commanders
There won't be a release this coming weekend - enjoy yourselves and have a good holiday if you're celebrating.

nd

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hi everyone - we've identified some issues with the previous release, including a huge typo in the nicknames file. We've also got a fix for the recently reported lag issues. For these reasons, a new version will be released later this week.

Thanks,

nd

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hi - we have another experimental release for you today, with some bug fixes and some other changes and enhancements we think you'll like.

Religion:
  • Decadence is turned off for all religions
  • The group formerly known as Akalaic is now called Stygian
  • The group formerly known as Unenlightened is now called Ka
  • The Thasmudyanic faith is now in the Stygian group, where it should be
  • The Interloper faith's deity-specific enemies should now work properly
  • Patron selection decision tidied up
Culture:
  • The selection of cultures for random worlds should now be better
  • The Celestial Sea culture group is now called Han, reflecting its canon origins
  • The Bawani culture is now in the Malatran group, as it is not of Han origin and is more similar to Mahasiswa
  • Gur councillor events have correct triggers
  • The pirates of Jahaka Bay are Nelanthern cultured, so as to be actual pirates
Map:
  • Zakhara de jure rework: Empires of the Great Sea, Yehimal, and Segara replace Outer Zakhara, Utter East, and Yikarian Empire respectively; Crowded Sea has different extent
  • Yikarian Empire is now titular instead
  • Dragonisle is the de jure capital of both Pirate Isles titles
  • Adjustments to geographical regions, including new Yehimal and Segara Sea regions
Character history:
  • Amn rework finished - lots of new characters, and a different selection of patrician houses in various dates
  • Lots of character histories adjusted
  • New nicknames, especially for members of the Obarskyr dynasty
  • Minthara is a paladin
Graphics:
  • Mari hair adjusted
  • More real-world references removed
  • Better localisation for some religions
  • A lot of typos fixed
Optimisation:
  • Monster cleanup event now more organised
  • Bhaalspawn events now use a counter rather than cached trait checks
  • Therianthrope and vampire infection now use saved targets
  • Decision conditions tidied up
  • Council power law optimisation begun
Bugfixes:
  • The nicknames list is working properly again
  • The Barbarian Adventure casus belli should no longer cause major lag; if you see it doing things it shouldn't, please let us know
And here's wishing you all a happy 2024. We'll be back in the new year with more updates, but for now - enjoy!

nd

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hi!

Today have have not one but two announcements for you.

Firstly, the awesome Silversweeper has produced the first version of a new submod to let you recruit custom adventurers, to bring your own favourite characters into the game. We enthusiastically support this development!

Secondly, it's time for another experimental release! Experimental 96, out today, offers:

Culture
  • Easting culture (in the Vast) split off from Impilturan
  • Rakasta culture (as a form of Tabaxi) added as a minority in Easting culture
  • Corbie culture (as a form of Tengu) added as part of...
  • ...cultural diversity for drow and duergar added
Religion
  • Decadence really removed this time
  • Limits placed on AI joining secret religious movements
Casus Belli
  • The Liberate Nomad Duchy CB now applies to more regions
Map
  • Two new regions defined - the Ride and the Land of the Lions
Character history
  • New characters in the Vast, including two Heralds
  • New details in Daggerdale, including a new holder
Lore
  • Nearly 200 new nicknames
Graphics
  • Avatars have different eye effects from Chosen
  • New death icon for going to another plane
  • Lots of fixes
  • Copy-editing to add Realms flavour and remove real-world references
Optimisation:
  • Old patron events deleted
  • Planetouched type assignment overhauled
  • Council power laws updated
  • Nomadic tribal laws displayed
  • New scripted triggers for governments
Bugfixes:
  • No more error spam from the Raid CB
  • Barbarian Adventure outcome cleaned up
  • No level-ups for fully dead people
  • Correct scope for law additions in maintenance events
  • AI characters will correctly refuse conversion in many more scenarios
  • Restoring the Lotus Throne should now work correctly
  • Various other events and decisions tweaked
  • Employment dates in character history fixed to reflect recent changes
  • Evil reformation options for orc and goblin faiths now exclude their opposites correctly
Enjoy!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Perhaps bad timing considering the above, but played a short-ish Mulhorand game on a slightly modified Experimental 95. Assorted issues and suggestions:

- I can take a Magical Apprentice as a child (Horustep III starts as a Cleric). Should probably be blocked.

- katakoro_plateau_region needs loc.

- Considering their inherent immortality, Avatars should probably not go for the more risky treatment options in AI hands.

ck2_2.png

- "silk road"; probably wrong as that doesn't pass through Mulhorand.

ck2_3.png

- This event should perhaps reveal that you'll get the Kinslayer trait in the event option in question, as opposed to that only being clear if you carefully check your relation to the character in the event.

ck2_4.png

- Forgot to screenshot the actual event, but the Monastic Order event about some stat-related activity while meeting with a member had "Discussing Book of the Dead"; there probably needs to be a "the" in the scripture name to avoid breaking assorted vanilla loc referring to it.

ck2_6.png

- Likely vanilla (or CleanSlate, if you've CleanSlated voting): Unlanded councillors should really not expect to be granted duchies that aren't being granted alongside any counties.

ck2_7.png

- "a fellow Mulhorandi Estelar" probably doesn't need the "Estelar".

ck2_8.png

- Something seems weird about the last condition; my realm is Agnatic, but it shows up as a condition that I fulfill for Ag-Cog, while not showing up as such for True Cog.

ck2_9.png
ck2_10.png

- I am not sure this event should fire, though I suppose being a God-King *might* be reason to care.

ck2_11.png

- The loc is also broken for the tooltip of the above event, possibly because it normally only fires for the Pope (and maybe other Christian rel heads).

- Should non-legitimized bastards really be valid candidates under a Dynastic succession law?

ck2_14.png

- Ditto for adopted children, especially where Avatars are involved.

ck2_15.png

- You should probably not get events about teaching your landed apprentice if you or they are in seclusion or otherwise unavailable.

ck2_16.png

- The witch hunt events you can get during an epidemic perhaps need new loc, seeing as being a Warlock means something specific in the Realms and that not being a servant of your god(s) isn't necessarily wrong (even if it would be a touch treasonous when a God-King is involved...).

ck2_17.png

- Unsure if intentional: The WP seems to be fabricating claims and pressing them. Vanilla's WP only declares wars through events.

ck2_18.png

- Tchazzar appears to have an evil (good?) twin. Is the non-host one supposed to be Absent? I started in the earliest bookmark, if it matters.

ck2_20.png
ck2_21.png

- "God".

ck2_22.png

- Not sure if Falkenlied is a thing in the Realms.

ck2_23.png

- That's... "ambitious", let's say. The AI probably shouldn't use the CB againt non-adjacent realms, and probably should evaluate allies' power too (the defender has about 20k nomad vassal ally troops...).

ck2_24.png

- There might be a missing trait icon. I have -debug -debugscripts on (I prefer not to change the launch settings to avoid accidentally forgetting to activate stuff), but I don't think it matters without charinfo on.

ck2_25.png

- Is it just the Silk Road that's affected, or also the Spice Road?

ck2_26.png

- Not sure if WAD: This province does not seem to have a Dragon Hoard.

ck2_27.png

- Possibly a consequence of something hardcoded, but should Szass really give up his Zulkirate?

ck2_28.png

- "He", but the event will create a woman. I assume the loc hasn't been updated.

ck2_29.png

- The loc for the modifiers overflows the text box for this bloodline.

ck2_30.png

- While others will be able to join the war (if I remember correctly), Great Conflict invaders should probably account for vassal troops when deciding how many troops to spawn (the adventurer has about as many troops as the Khagan, which as you might imagine likely will be woefully insufficient).

ck2_31.png

- I was asked to join the Great Conflict, but didn't actually get pulled into the war the first time I agreed to join. I *do* have an NAP with Yaimunnahar, but it still feels potentially odd.

- The Rashemi should perhaps not elect Treants or other odd races, especially considering they'll be around forever unless killed.

ck2_32.png

- Unsure if WAD: The Celestial adventurer decided to go Tribal when taking over a Nomadic Tribal realm.

ck2_33.png

- Likely vanilla: The former adventurer somehow raised a runestone prior to actually winning his war (i.e. while still unlanded).

ck2_34.png

- Perhaps Great Conflicts should give vassals of the defender the opportunity to peacefully break free when the war ends with the attacker winning? It'd make it less likely that they'll get some kind of faction against them very early on, which seems more damaging for the realm as a whole... and would avoid silly things like other vassals here helping the recent conqueror suppress the revolt because tribal vassals accept CTAs very often.

ck2_35.png

- Missing loc key. Accepted CTAs seem to have loc.

ck2_36.png

- Unsure if vanilla: The attacker doesn't seem to call (nomadic) tribal vassal to arms at first, despite quite possibly needing them. She called them later on, but starting out strong seems better.

ck2_37.png

- Perhaps "friendly" Avatars -- and rel heads -- should have a somewhat greater influence than random Clerics(/Paladins) have when voting in relevant elections?

ck2_39.png

- Not sure if WAD: The Celestial adventurer is getting more Celestials as vassals/courtiers. Could potentially result in an overabundance of Celestial (and Aasimar/other descendants), and as they're immortal that might result in lots of characters sticking around.

Reactions:
I can take a Magical Apprentice as a child (Horustep III starts as a Cleric). Should probably be blocked.
Fixed, makes sense.
katakoro_plateau_region needs loc.
Fixed, was a typo in the loc file.
a fellow Mulhorandi Estelar" probably doesn't need the "Estelar".
Fixed, removed the religion group name from the loc line.
Tchazzar appears to have an evil (good?) twin. Is the non-host one supposed to be Absent? I started in the earliest bookmark, if it matters.
This is confusing, we will deliberate whats going on. Perhaps a fluke, but IMO he should of been "killed off" due to the absent trait if you started in 1357.

More fixes will come, this is all I got to today :)

There might be a missing trait icon. I have -debug -debugscripts on (I prefer not to change the launch settings to avoid accidentally forgetting to activate stuff), but I don't think it matters without charinfo on.
Fixed, by adding placeholder icons to the missing patron traits... quite a few actually! Thank you for reporting.
Is it just the Silk Road that's affected, or also the Spice Road?
Just Silk, we kept it just like vanilla when implementing Shou Lung. Could put the Spice Road in the "would be nice to have" column, although I worry about modifying those events to add the Spice road...
Not sure if WAD: This province does not seem to have a Dragon Hoard.
I am not sure either, but I was able to give that character their "immortal_age" line in the code, so this report still helped :)

Apologies for the longer than usual waiting for the next experimental. We are in the thick of a government and succession law clean-up, and want it to be in the best shape possible before we release. There are some various other odds and ends I think you'll enjoy too! So keep playing your current saves, as the next update will break them due to the changes we have made.

- tsf4 and the other devs

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's been about six weeks coming, but we're all really grateful for your patience, because today's release is a big one. We finally got the much-needed overhaul of governments and succession laws done, which is a big step towards a properly optimised mod.

2024 preview 1.jpg

2024 preview 2.jpg

Without further ado, please download Experimental Release 97, featuring:

Optimisation
  • Full overhaul of government potentials - many realms have different government now
  • Corresponding full overhaul of succession laws
  • Some fixes imported from CleanSlate
  • Cleanup around job titles and some of their actions
  • Retiring the 'is Muslim' trigger - the Calishite faith may play slightly more like other Faerûnian religions now
Graphics
  • More than 80 new static portraits
  • Diversified Dekanter, Tasloi and Batiri portraits
  • New Elder Brain portrait set
  • New loading screens
  • Religious garb now varies by patron deity and class
  • Lots of subtle adjustments to portrait rendering
  • Additional death type icons
  • Icons for all patron traits that lacked them
  • Canon heraldry for Barze
Nicknames
  • More nicknames added
  • Characters who transition gender while having a gendered nickname will now get it replaced
Character history
  • Lots of new characters, including dynasties for previously isolated courtiers
  • Lifespan adjustments for lots of existing characters
  • Historical vampire spawn now remember who spawned them
  • Relatedly, Saestra Karanok now actually does the thing she's notorious for
  • Aylin and Isobel's happy ending has been upgraded
  • Luna's Silver Blood now has a bloodline
  • Past Meisarchs of Amn get their correct titles
  • More custom titles for other historical characters too
Title history
  • Three more dwarfholds
  • Kadar and the Nine Council use Divine Elective succession
  • New history details in the Western Heartlands
Diversity
  • Genies, fiends, and celestials get diverse courtiers
Gameplay
  • Long-lived species have reduced disease chances
  • More people can now worship the Abeiran primordials
  • Some groundwork for future warlock-patron interactions
  • Candidates in Nomadic Elective succession must be inside the realm
  • Vendettas can only be declared within diplomatic range
  • Changes to the celestial summons for some cultures
  • Sahuagin CBs are now range-limited
Map
  • Aerie of the Snow Eagles is now part of Angalpuk duchy
  • Ibelgrak Valley split out from Angalpuk as its own duchy
  • Brynwood is now a forest, as it should be
  • Commonwealths are now orange
  • Cooldown timers explained better
  • No more 'semper ubi sub ubi'
  • Katakoro Plateau region correctly identified
  • Warnings about attacking co-religionists no longer assume your religion is a denomination of a wider faith
  • Rivals will now accuse each other of being alienists, not witches
  • No more references to Purgatory in the English localisation
  • Hlal's aliases will work correctly
Bug fixes
  • Only adults can appoint apprentices
  • Barbarian Adventure CB should now work as intended, with better AI control
  • Localisation broken by case-sensitivity should be fixed now
  • No more name-swapped murders
  • Lots of small fixes
As ever, please enjoy and let us know any feedback!

nd

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I don't know where to ask, so I shall here: can I request a submod that adds the races from Elder Kings?
If you want to come and discuss submod development in detail, please come and join us on our Discord.

In terms of Elder Kings content specifically, though, it's less likely that this is something we could do, for the following reasons:
  • We don't have a content-sharing agreement with the Elder Kings team. We're very grateful to projects like Geheimnisnacht and Tianxia who have shared content with us, but we also respect the boundaries of other mod teams.
  • We have a fully populated map. If a submod adds new cultures, those cultures are only playable through the Ruler Designer, unless it also boots out an existing (and quite likely canonical) ruler to make way for them.
  • Adding new species with proper interaction with the existing ones means rewriting the interfertility file, one of the most complex events in the mod.
That said, which EK races are you particularly interested in? We may already have some close parallels, such as Tabaxi and Rakasta for Khajit (and indeed, there's a Tabaxi dynasty off the coast of Zakhara who have wares if you have coin...)

nd

Reactions:
Tsaesci come to mind first, merely for their matriarchal government, cool portraits & general scaly-ness. And the ruler designer is fine, as my imagination can link an old imaskari portal to Tamriel. It'd be fun too to see the Imperials/Ayleids trying to dominate the new landscape.

Tsaesci come to mind first, merely for their matriarchal government, cool portraits & general scaly-ness. And the ruler designer is fine, as my imagination can link an old imaskari portal to Tamriel. It'd be fun too to see the Imperials/Ayleids trying to dominate the new landscape.
Yuan-ti?

This would be my recommendation, yes. We don't, as far as I know, have any yuan-ti vampire characters, but you could easily create one in RD. Or pick an existing yuan-ti character, like Dediana Extaminos of Hlondeth, and get embraced as a vampire, either by making friends with a vampire and waiting for the bite, or joining a secret society that will offer the embrace.

nd

• 1Like
Reactions:
We've been busy over the past three weeks. Here is Experimental Release 98, with all of this:

Characters
  • More characters' secret society membership has been approved
  • Some more baatezu are creeping around
  • Vangerdahast has been hard at work concealing the Obarskyrs' extra-marital indiscretions
  • Mirandor, Wyvernspur, Winter, Kendrick, Sarifal, and other dynasties corrected and updated
  • Lots of small fixes to character history
Culture
  • LeShay culture added
Graphics
  • Elves can no longer have beards
  • Smoother hobgoblins
  • Lots of adjustments to portraits, especially religious garb
  • Characters without sexual dimorphism now have small gender badges below their portraits
Lore
  • New character names
  • New nicknames
  • Small history adjustments
Optimisation
  • Succession gender laws cleaned
  • Status of women laws updated
  • Job actions cleaned
  • Holding types cleaned
  • Death and heir text updated
  • Settling a tribe is more consistent
  • Government flavour updated
  • Execution methods sorted out and made more lore-compliant
  • New scripted triggers for various elements
  • The character screen will now say 'spouse' instead of 'husband' or 'wife'. Isobel is very relieved.
Gameplay
  • Immortal characters are less likely to seek experimental medical treatment
  • AI characters will raid less often
  • Special courtiers will not be affected by unusual conditions in the courts they join
  • Raiding Shou Lung is now controlled by the same conditions as other raiding
  • The Bhaalspawn trait is now occasionally heritable
  • Lots of new text for when a ruler dies
  • The Black Altar can be landless
  • Employees of titles with religious connotations should now make sensible patron choices
  • The longevity decision for arcane spellcasters now requires journeyman level in any class that has it
  • You can only form a special court type (eg undead) if you are independent or your liege already has that type
  • Excommunication chances now get worked out properly
  • Naturally long-lived characters should be less bothered about having long lives
Bug fixes
  • Lots of localisation errors fixed
  • Graz'zt now always has his portrait and biography
  • Historical wars of the Tuigans should work correctly
  • The outsider purges should now work as intended
  • Religious disqualification for certain titles now works better
As always, have fun and let us know how you get on!

nd

• 4Like
Reactions:
It's time for Experimental Release 99! Highlights include new provinces on the map, new playable dragons and demon lords, lots of new history, and loads of new optimisations and bugfixes for smoother play. Please note that this release BREAKS SAVES due to the new provinces and new traits. Here's the full rundown:

Map:
  • New provinces of Dun-Orthass, Dun-Tharos, Fields of Nun, Mussum, Giant Gap, Mount Sar, Sar'Rukoth, Vaults of Record, Shandaular, Southern Shandaular, Star Mounts, and Xûl-Jarak
  • New de jure duchies of Dunwood, Council Hills, Okoth, Shandaular, and Giantspires
  • New titular kingdoms of Eltabranar, Giantspires, Naratyr, Ashanath, and Thentur
  • New barony names in Chondath
  • The Duchy of Impiltur is now called Uplands
  • The Duchy of Uplands in Turmish is now called Halondar
  • The Duchy of Imphras is now called Dunthelar (after the original name of the river)
  • New Giantspire Mountains region
  • More accurate topography for The Rift
Graphics:
  • New flags
  • New static portraits
  • Manshoon will only mask up when appropriate
  • Dead characters will still get historic graphics changes
History:
  • History overhaul in Chondath, Thar, Impiltur, the Vast, the Sword Mountains, Great Dale, Giantspire Mountains, Eastern Shaar, Shadowdale, and Delimbiyr Vale
  • Small history tweaks in Cormyr, Unther, Treacherous Isles, Moonrise
Lore:
  • New biography traits to support the new static portraits
Optimisation:
  • Diseases brought into line with CleanSlate
  • Most Casus Belli brought into line with CleanSlate
  • Council voting patterns brought into line with CleanSlate
  • Tactics brought into line with CleanSlate
Gameplay:
  • Merchant republics allow matrilineal marriage
  • Martial Faith can now use haruspicy as intended
  • Gender conditions on council posts and minor titles updated
  • AI characters whose creature type makes them immune to disease will not shut the gates
  • Better event to spawn new concillors on startup, which should especially help enatic realms
  • Long-lived species will now have older elders
  • The Furious faith now uses county conquests
  • Sharess now grants gender alteration, as she should
  • Abyssal Army and Animate Dead now use different timers, which are visible and correctly described in tool-tips
Bugfixes:
  • Lots of localisation fixes
  • Decadence events no longer have unnecessary effects
  • The Kuo-Tan Society decision to become a vassal of the Western Shou Provinces can now only target the Governor-General, as intended
  • The Old Gods adventure event will now fire properly
  • AI should now plunder dragon hoards more appropriately
Thanks and credit are once more due to our wonderful team who have done so much to make this happen, and to all of our playtesters who have stuck with us and given us helpful feedback. Please enjoy this latest release, and let us know how you get on!

nd

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: