• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What happened to the "betas" older than 1.27!?
Just got forced updated. Consider me "psychologically tested!"

Edit: NVM, had to re-enter the Beta code is all.

Reactions:
Spoiler :

Out of curiosity I checked the last modifed files in the eu4 folder after the patch. There's an interesting file "subscription_l_english.yml" in the Europa Universalis IV\localisation folder that was updated today related to
We are running a few experiments aimed at reducing the threshold for new players to access the full EU4 experience.

SUB_VIEW_PITCH_NOPRICE:0 "Gain access to all DLC ever released for a monthly payment.\n\n- All major expansions!\n- More than 40 content packs including new units models\n- All music packs\n- Unique unit model available only as a bonus for subscription"
SUB_VIEW_PITCH_PRICE:0 "Experience everything the game has to offer with the new subscription offer: gain access to all DLC ever released for only $PRICE$/month.\n\n- All major expansions!\n- More than 40 content packs including new units models\n- All music packs\n- Unique unit model available only as a bonus for subscription"

I'm pretty sure they're going to implement the subscription model for dlc soon.

Reactions:
SUB_VIEW_PITCH_PRICE:0 "Experience everything the game has to offer with the new subscription offer: gain access to all DLC ever released for only $PRICE$/month.\n\n- All major expansions!\n- More than 40 content packs including new units models\n- All music packs\n- Unique unit model available only as a bonus for subscription"

Wait, what? Subscription only unique models? That would cross over the uninstall and down-vote threshold for me.

Reactions:
Well, if you wanted to subtly work on " something" without causing suspicion, this post probably was not the best way to do it, just saying.

Hiding it into a regular patch with some content changes/bug fixes may have been better, and only telling us after the fact. However, I'm not going to spread the info about what the changes seem to be.

Reactions:
Spoiler :

Out of curiosity I checked the last modifed files in the eu4 folder after the patch. There's an interesting file "subscription_l_english.yml" in the Europa Universalis IV\localisation folder that was updated today related to

SUB_VIEW_PITCH_NOPRICE:0 "Gain access to all DLC ever released for a monthly payment.\n\n- All major expansions!\n- More than 40 content packs including new units models\n- All music packs\n- Unique unit model available only as a bonus for subscription"

I'd be down for this.

Reactions:
Spoiler :

Huh, I suggested a subscription/Games as a Service model to @Shams years ago and was told it'd never be successful.

Reactions:
Intriguing idea. I would be down for it IF any expansion we already owned stayed ours and every future expansion getting out while we would be subscribed would also still be hours. There could be a cooldown to avoid abuses (like bandwagoning only the months when major interesting expansions are going out).

It could work, but it should be clearer than the fort system.

Reactions:
BjornB said:
We are running a few experiments aimed at reducing the threshold for new players to access the full EU4 experience.

Does that mean that they are experimenting ways to introduce a complete bundle of all gameplay DLC at an affordable price, similar to CK2 humble bundle last year?

Reactions:
Well, if you wanted to subtly work on " something" without causing suspicion, this post probably was not the best way to do it, just saying.

Indeed, I agree. But if you suddenly got a new patch version without any form of communication I think things would go pretty haywire too.

Reactions:
Spoiler :

A subscription model was inevitable. Everyone else is doing it and Paradox wants to be cool.

Reactions:
No,they will probably do a subscription model,reducing the price will not happen,Paradox is greed,so this will not happen.And the humble bundle for CK2 was temporary,there wasn't permanent price reduction.However,the base game is now free,so instead of costing 300$,CK2 now costs "only" 260$,which is still very expensive in my opinion.

You are aware of the contradiction here, right?
Or is your definition of being greedy: "expansions are released at full price", no matter if later on you can get them cheaper on sales, and even for free?

Anyway, a subscription system is a different beast. It's targeted at people who won't buy expansions but are willing to start playing a game years after its initial release.

You are aware of the contradiction here, right?
Or is your definition of being greedy: "expansions are released at full price", no matter if later on you can get them cheaper on sales, and even for free?

Anyway, a subscription system is a different beast. It's targeted at people who won't buy expansions but are willing to start playing a game years after its initial release.
To be honest,it's not even the price that i criticize,it's mainly,even if some games like Stellaris did it pretty well,is the repartition between free updates and dlc,even if i think for Imperator,this will improve.Some other publishers does it in a different way.If Paradox is open to suggestion,personnaly,i suggest to made the dlcs more focused on a specific region rather than essential mechanics behind the dlc.I will buy the dlc personnaly anyway but this at least will stop all the critics 'this should have been in the base game','paywall' or something like that.I just hope that for future updates,Paradox has taken this in consideration.Also,the other issue is the quality assurance,i really hope this will improve later.Paradox had did it very well 2 or 3 years ago but since last year,the QA has become less good in my opinion.
Thanks for reading.

Indeed, I agree. But if you suddenly got a new patch version without any form of communication I think things would go pretty haywire too.
If your goal was to keep the subscription idea under cover, that was honestly not well done at all, and would lead me to believe that things at Paradox must be going very much haywire to let a slip up like this happen.

But I assume that the goal was to check provincial unrest on this proposition, while still keeping the trump card of "It's not even official" in case things go wrong.

Or maybe the subscription files are just a disguise, and the actual test is hidden behind them?

I wonder if there are rewards for those that solve the riddle of 29.4.

Reactions:
I guess the 300$ price for "the complete experience"has become harder to defend in terms of PR and reputation.I guess it's the reason why Paradox will probably do so.
Just something I thought of this morning, why not a two year life cycle for dlc. Full price at release, reduce by 25 % more of original price very six months, so after two years, it gets rolled into base game. Pay what you feel comfortable with to support development and to get dlc experience as soon as you want it
, but then the price of full game never looks so ridiculous and overwhelming, to new players, and we don't see " subscription " models which I for one will quit buying from paradox of I ever see.

Reactions:
Just something I thought of this morning, why not a two year life cycle for dlc. Full price at release, reduce by 25 % more of original price very six months, so after two years, it gets rolled into base game. Pay what you feel comfortable with to support development and to get dlc experience as soon as you want it
, but then the price of full game never looks so ridiculous and overwhelming, to new players, and we don't see " subscription " models which I for one will quit buying from paradox of I ever see.
It's something that has been suggested many times in the past.And it has also the advantages that the features contained in these dlcs can be reworked and more interact between them.EU4 has cleary shown the issue,a game with a dozens of mechanics that doesn't interact beetween them correctly,this means a game very complex,but who has very little deep.But Paradox has so far be really hostile about this suggestion.I still hope this will change but i do not hold my breath.At least,make the CK2 base game free-to-play is certainly a step in the right direction.Sorry for the bad english.It's not my native language.

It's something that has been suggested many times in the past.And it has also the advantages that the features contained in these dlcs can be reworked and more interact between them.EU4 has cleary shown the issue,a game with a dozens of mechanics that doesn't interact beetween them correctly,this means a game very complex,but who has very little deep.But Paradox has so far be really hostile about this suggestion.I still hope this will change but i do not hold my breath.At least,make the CK2 base game free-to-play is certainly a step in the right direction.Sorry for the bad english.It's not my native language.
Hadn't seen that suggested, let alone the response. Maybe time to reconsider. Always thought of Paradox as trend setters, not just doing what everyone else does. Hope I'm right, hate the idea of what happens it I'm wrong.

Reactions:
Hadn't seen that suggested, let alone the response. Maybe time to reconsider. Always thought of Paradox as trend setters, not just doing what everyone else does. Hope I'm right, hate the idea of what happens it I'm wrong.
It wasn't mainly on this forum,it was mainly on reddit or on other forums.But i'm pretty sure i have seen it here even on this forum many times.