• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just a minor succestion. I would like to see the German corps names in format Armeekorps, not Armee-Korps. AFAIK the "-" was only used if the corps had something in front of its name (e.g. Gebirgs-Armeekorps) and in Division names (Panzer-Division).

Yes, the "-" was part of the name of almost every german military unit during WW2 (Heer, Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe). According to wiki Armee-Korps was used by the Kaiserliche Armee. I've seen (too) many examples where an Armeekorps was abbreviated as AK or A.K. to be able to finally decide which name is more correct, but I'm fully aware that many players favour the new fashioned Armeekorps. It'll be back in the next upload.

some remarks:

Heer did use roman numbers, but 40 was XXXX instead of XL, 41 XXXXI instead of XLI (even if this is wrong, that was the system, historically.
LXXXX as well (instead of XC)

Found it during my research and ignored it for the moment. Thanks for bringing ut up again. I've changed it for Heer AND Luftwaffe.

EDIT:
+ some other Armeekorps (mot, Gebirgskorps, named Korps etc)

While playing you'd see your Marines being labeled as (mot) or your Paras as Gebirgs- or even better your Garrisons would be named as Panzer-... Nope, that wouldn't work. In these cases you should simply rename them by yourself which is easily done. And the late-war creation of named corps (GD, FHH, HG) was an emergency measure to react to the significant losses of COs/staff officers during 1944. I wouldn't be surprised if these names were entirely created for propaganda purposes. 1. Fallschirm-Armee, anyone?

EDIT: navynames: i really think this should remain Flotte/Fleet instead of Flottille/Flotilla. the DD's, TP's and SS's are Flottillen/Flotillas (unitnames) - several flotillas are a fleet/Flotte (navynames).

A fleet is a huge naval force (20+ ships ?) which wouldn't be an appropriate name for the typical german naval unit in AOD. If we'd be talking about the Great War then the term 'Geschwader' would be an interesting alternative, but you'd keep in mind that the Kriegsmarine was way smaller than the Kaiserliche Marine and capital ships were nearly non-existant. Calling it Flotte/fleet would grossly overestimate the Kriegsmarine's bunch of smaller naval units.

Btw, are you aware that the basic operational unit of the Kriegsmarine wasn't the Flottille? During the pre-war years the german destroyers were organised in Zerstörer-Divisionen (4 DDs each) and the torpedoboats in Torpedoboots-Halb(demi)flottillen? Shortly after the beginning of WW2 these were reorganised into Zerstörer-/Torpedobootsflottillen. That was done IIRC to significantly reduce the overall number of COs occupied by staff work so that they'd create new frontline units. Italy had - and kept - a similar organisation for their smaller naval units: 2 squadriglias formed one flottiglia, while cruisers and battleship were organised in divisions.

EDIT 2:
+ i would delete the nations names. the british didnt call their 1st Corps british first Corps, or the french 319e Flotte Française - its clear that their unit is british or french.

Btw this wasn't my idea, this is already the norm since HOI2 - or even HOI. But each of the three files had a different scheme and I've reorganised them to be more consistent. You're quite right that almost all nations have an egocentric worldview and don't see the need for including their nation's name in the name of their military (and its units). (US Army, US Navy and US Air Force are the intriguing exceptions from this rule) But in game terms this does create unneeded hassle. If you count all their releasable colonies of either France or Great Britain they'll easily have 20 nations in their cultural sphere, which determines their naming habits. If these are allowed to send you expeditionary forces then you'll quickly see several 1st Corps and each consisting - if you're lucky - of their 1st Infantry Division, 2nd Infantry Division and their 3rd Infantry Division, i.e. you won't be able to identify them by their name any longer. Since noone wants to see their nation's name added to their division names it's preferable to name their corps accordingly. It's ofc a compromise, but in this case playability and easier access to crucial information are IMO more important.

+ i admit my french is not the best but shouldnt it be 2ème(3ème) Flotte instead of 2e Flotte (deuxième/troisième)?

The french military has its own definition/grammar - according to wiki and several other websites.

Atm I'm using vanilla's 'Flotte' (too big) for the Navies and 'Groupe' (too small) for the Air Forces of the french sphere which don't fit properly. I'm going to exchange 'Flotte' with 'Escadre' and the air corps will be named 'Division Aérienne' instead.

EDIT: navynames: i really think this should remain Flotte/Fleet instead of Flottille/Flotilla. the DD's, TP's and SS's are Flottillen/Flotillas (unitnames) - several flotillas are a fleet/Flotte (navynames).

If you check the text.csv file you'll find these entries:

# DYNAMIC UNIT DESIGNATIONS;;;;;;;;;;;x
##;;;;;;;;;;;x
UNITNAMESQUADRON;Squadron;Escadrille;Squadrone;Escuadrón;Geschwader;Eskadra;;ýñêàäðà;;;x
UNITNAMEAIRFLEET;Squadron;Escadrille;Squadrone;Escuadrilla;Geschwader;Eskadra;;ýñêàäðèëüÿ;;;x
UNITNAMEFLEET;Fleet;Flotte;Flotta;Flota;Flotte;Flotylla;;ôëîò;;;x
UNITNAMECORPS;Corps;Corps;Corpi;Cuerpo;Korps;Korpus;;êîðïóñ;;;x
UNITNAMEARMY;Army;Armée;Esercito;Ejército;Armee;Armia;;Àðìèÿ;;;x
FLOTILLA;Flotilla;Flottille;Flotta;Flotilla;Flottille;Flotylla;;Ôëîòèëèÿ;;;x

I'm not sure how the mechanics of the dynamic unit designations are working in AOD but I remember them being functional in DDA. But since then I've changed my playing style and use now only one division/corps. ;) A first guess would be to assume that the engine exchanges the name of a corps if its name is an exact match of the entry in the line UNITNAMECORPS which will then be replaced by the entry found in the line UNITNAMEARMY. In theory it'd should work for air and naval units, too. In that case your concern would be invalid; maybe you'd simply do some test runs?

EDIT: the spaces in my quotation are a display bug of the forum software...

Fürst said:
A fleet is a huge naval force (20+ ships ?) which wouldn't be an appropriate name for the typical german naval unit in AOD. If we'd be talking about the Great War then the term 'Geschwader' would be an interesting alternative, but you'd keep in mind that the Kriegsmarine was way smaller than the Kaiserliche Marine and capital ships were nearly non-existant. Calling it Flotte/fleet would grossly overestimate the Kriegsmarine's bunch of smaller naval units.
well, the naval aspect of the game is always ahistorical as there are no small units, far to few naval provinces and no captains. unfortunately we will have to live with it (as germany).
Flotte/Fleet is just a phrase for what you actually use in game, not was happened in history - its cool for Japan or USA, not that good for germany. but i use the Term "Geschwader" ATM :D .
like you said its B historically - but thats what it is ingame (at least i hope so)

Btw, are you aware that the basic operational unit of the Kriegsmarine wasn't the Flottille?
nope, all i know is that there were U-flotillas.

Yes, the "-" was part of the name of almost every german military unit during WW2 (Heer, Kriegsmarine, Luftwaffe). According to wiki Armee-Korps was used by the Kaiserliche Armee. I've seen (too) many examples where an Armeekorps was abbreviated as AK or A.K. to be able to finally decide which name is more correct, but I'm fully aware that many players favour the new fashioned Armeekorps. It'll be back in the next upload.
you see both very often with everything (Korps-Division and all that. even in serious literature like http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...deutsche+reich+und+der+zweite+wel%2Caps%2C234 (i own volumes 1 - 6 + maps. the best you can get for the whole war IMVHO)
so i dont care too much if the rest is ok.

i up my unitnames, NB the ss divs are missing as i get them by events. i mostly added unitnames or changed things like the Gebirgsdivision or "Geschwader"

EDIT: oh, just in case you didnt spot: there is a CL and CA "Duisberg" :D + i think a good name for a german CV would be "Hermann der Cherusker" - i was searching for names to replace Goethe + Schiller (both, but esp Schiller would have been anti-Adolf as hell, thats for sure)

EDIT2: you got mail

Changes in the meantime:

airnames:
BRA;1o Regimento de Aviação Brasileiro
BRA;100o Regimento de Aviação Brasileiro
FRA;1re Division Aérienne de l'Armée de l'Air
FRA;200e Division Aérienne de l'Armée de l'Air
GAB;1re Division Aérienne gabonaise
GAB;50e Division Aérienne gabonaise

armynames:
BRA;1o Corpo de Exército Brasileiro
BRA;200o Corpo de Exército Brasileiro
FRA;1er Corps d'Armée
FRA;500e Corps d'Armée
GAB;1er Corps d'Armée gabonaise
GAB;80e Corps d'Armée gabonaise
navynames:
BRA;1a Divisão da Esquadra Brasileira
BRA;300a Divisão da Esquadra Brasileira
FRA;1re Escadre
FRA;500e Escadre
GAB;1re Escadre gabonaise
GAB;50e Escadre gabonaise

Almost the entire french sphere was changed in a similar way. There were some other minor changes, too.

version 0.81 might be uploaded next week

I won't have enough time this week to make more changes/fixes but I hope that I'll be able to upload a new version during the next week.

new version uploaded

Based on the input of the community I've fixed several grammar and spelling errors and revised quite a lot of nations. Continued research has led to some minor changes, too. The download link can be found in the first post of this thread. Have fun. :)

Is this ripe to be included in the 1.8 beta?

There hasn't been much criticism lately, so there should be - hopefully - only very few typos left. But sadly I've found an ugly grammar error in my spanish armynames which would've to be fixed before version 0.81 can be made 'offcicial'.

I'm also waiting for the CORE devs decision which revolters tags are used by them so that I can start adding more nations. Then we can eventually have a unified list of revolters and also proper army/navy/airnames for them. So it might be a little bit too early making my minimod part of v1.08. ;)

TUR: maybe

1. Ordu
2. Ordu
?
(or probably better for the HQ names) ...

You're right, that would be better used for HQs. Kolordu seems to be correct for corps.

But most of the problems which I'm having to find correct unit names have their cause in the non-existance of units of such a size, e.g. air corps. wikipedia is a good help but usually you fail at the language barrier.

... - turkish members wanted!

The more detailed unitnames file does also need more than a finishing touch. And I won't be surprised if quite a lot of the historical turkish ministers and leaders would be missing. ;)

The more detailed unitnames file does also need more than a finishing touch. And I won't be surprised if quite a lot of the historical turkish ministers and leaders would be missing. ;)

I can try and help about the unitnames if needed, by the way. Compiling ministers and leaders would take time though.

new version uploaded

Based on the input of the community I've fixed a bunch of grammar and spelling errors and revised several nations. Continued research has led to some interesting, albeit minor, changes, too. The download link can be found in the first post of this thread. Have fun. :)

Is the OP link the most up to date? I would like to include in my Map project.

Sorry, no new additions recently. ;)

I've added the missing link to rapidshare to the first post.

Is the OP link the most up to date? I would like to include in my Map project.

If you want to add the link to a list of recommended mods, feel free to do so. ;) If you want to fully include my files in your mod: no. You'd also keep in mind that the list of unitnames isnt finished yet (read: not in total checked for grammar and spelling errors) and might also see the addition of some atm missing revolters.

EDIT: it seems that his mod has been abandoned