• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Update:

I've moved my mods to filefactory. (link in post #1 has been updated)

The download includes updated versions of the names.csv files. These have seen some minor corrections in the meantime.

(discussion moved from hotkeys+ to a more appropriate place)

AOD currently only supports the Western European Windows-1252.

When I do the Russian text, I do it by using the Cyrillic , Windows-1251, post the Russian text, then convert/change to Western European Windows-1250.
I'm using MS Editor and notepad++ for editing game files. While using MS Editor you can change the character encoding of your file upon saving. Yes, Paradox relies on ANSI=Windows-1252 which does work well for the major European languages. But only sort of since you run quickly into problems with unusual characters if you extend your view beyond Western Europe, which happens if you are keen on improving unitnames. To circumvent these hassles I've set all my country and info files to UTF-8. Paradox games do accept these files, too, but only characters which are supported by their chosen character encoding, i.e. all other characters are not shown or entirely different.

When I composed a five languages version of Victoria 2 last month I quickly ran into some issues with leftovers of Czech, Magyar and Polish translations which could only be solved by setting all files to UTF-8 and deleting these remnants. Only then I had a stable set of files which could be thoroughly revised. Otherwise working with notepad++ would have been a total mess.

This is how I do my testing: once I've come upon an unusual character it has to survive the conversion UTF-8 to ANSI; additionally I start a test game to check it ingame. Doing this I was able to generate a list of "accepted" characters - for Victoria, I'd add. For AOD to catch up I've set up a larger test which provided the characters listed 2 posts above (with the notable exception of ° + º + ª which are only supported by Tyrel's mod).

These characters are 'transformed' once converted to ANSI:
č ļ ņ
ą ł ń ś
ģ ġ ĝ ğ
Ģ Ġ Ĝ Ğ
ā ē ī ō ū
Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū
ĩ ũ
Ĩ Ũ
ė Ė
ů Ů
ŭ Ŭ
ć Ć
đ Đ
Maybe - depending upon the internal structure of the font files - you might add these, too. I don't know of any program yet which might be used to revise the font files.
I can not tell from your earlier post yesterday, but does it support Polish?
I've read that HOI2 was sold by a distributor with revised font files which allowed for Polish characters. So, yes, theoretically Polish characters can be supported but actually noone knows how to do it given the scarcity of font file mods...

Last edited:
Update

The airnames, armynames and navynames files have been slightly revised. Some minor corrections have also been made.

As before the download includes other minor AOD mods so that you can select which mods you want to use to improve your game experience.

The download link in post #2 has been updated.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, yes, Tyrel's mod does support
1º División Naval
2° División Naval
División Aérea N.ª 1
which it makes it very interesting for an expanded unitnames mod. :cool:
Unfortunately, Tyrel's mod works only for Victoria Revolutions.

I've tested my revised armynamesXXL using vanilla AOD and its original font files. These are the results:

º
Looks like °. Works perfectly ok for the tooltip, but the small and large division names look like >>.
+ division name (tooltip)
- small division name (bold)
- large division name (bold)
Looks almost the same for all three uses.
SOLUTION: replace with o

ª
The ª is supported by the vanilla font file but instead of it a thin circle, not actually an o, is shown at the correct position which is - in contrast to the other characters used for division names - not bold. You might call it an overly inflated °.
- division name (tooltip)
SOLUTION: replace with a

°
The ° is not shown at all instead for all 3 uses a ± is shown.
- division name (tooltip)
SOLUTION: replace with o

Afterwards I've checked the vanilla font files more closely. The characters displayable by the font files range - according to the ASCII codes panel of notepad++ - from 33 to 255. Theoretically allmost all interesting characters should be displayable. There were some gaps in the files which just need to be filled to solve all our problem with certain special characters.

Therefore, I decided to do a little test by adding the character Ð to the font files. I've settled on modifying the three different Eurostilecond14 files.

At first I've used paint.net which worked like a charm. Unfortunately, the file is shrunk by ~50% upon saving. Starting AOD proved me right that I've picked font files of the correct size but unfortunately all text of that size were greyed out.

Next try was using Paint 3D. Not as easy as paint.net but it did its job, too. Well, this time the size of the file increased significantly but this didn't help either because no text of that size was seen at all.

As you can safely guess, I'm not very familiar with programs like these. Any input would be helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Update

The airnames, armynames and navynames files have been slightly revised. Some minor corrections have also been made.

revised
BLR - Belarus
FLA - Flanders
HOL - Netherlands
SIA - Siam
SLV - Slovenia
UKR - Ukraine
URU - Uruguay

tweaked
AST - Australia
BRA - Brazil
CAN - Canada
HUN - Hungary
IND - India
NZL - New Zealand
SAF - South Africa
SWE - Sweden
U77 - Greater Colombia
U78 - Central America

fixed
SCA - Scandinavia

Neither U01-U69 nor UA0-UB5 are yet included.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Update

The airnames, armynames and navynames files have been slightly revised.

new
U16 - Catalunya
U24 - Macedonia

revised
ALB - Albania
BEL - Belgium
BOL - Bolivia
EUS - Euskadi
IDC - Indochina
KUR - Kurdistan
PAR - Paraguay
SOM - Somalia
VIE - Nationalist Vietnam
U72 - Communist Vietnam

tweaked
FRA - France
VIC - Vichy France

fixed
BUL - Bulgaria

Neither U01-U69 nor UA0-UB5 are yet included (exceptions: U16, U24).

Happy New Year!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hi Fürstbischof,

I thought you might want to know the new nations for 1.13:
OFS ORANGE FREE STATE
AHE AUSTRO HUNGARIAN EMPIRE
AFP AFGHANISTAN PEOPLES REPUBLIC
HPR HUNGARIAN PEOPLES REPUBLIC
FOT FEDERATION OF TURKISTAN
IUR IDEL URAL REPUBLIC
IMR IMPERIAL RUSSIA
IMG IMPERIAL GERMANY
WMR WIEMAR REPUBLIC
IEA ITALIAN EAST AFRICA
GRN GREENLAND
ILY ITALIAN LIBYA

I thought you might want to know the new nations for 1.13:
New unique tags will be added by 1.13?!? That's great. Thank you for reminding me.

TBH, this is a better solution for adding new content to minor nations. Although vanilla has lots of tags, which are seemingly unused, they are not necessarily unused by mods. I'm looking here especially at CORE and SMEP. I admire @Pioniere for his tireless efforts to add new content to vanilla AOD, but there is a big problem with his previous additions: they break existing mods.

Reactions:
I admire @Pioniere for his tireless efforts to add new content to vanilla AOD, but there is a big problem with his previous additions: they break existing mods.
Working with him is a good experience with me too. He's really detailed when working/creating the nations. Also, he's great with the tech and model pictures...it helps a lot.

For me, it's all about the sandboxing/what ifs flexibility and giving modders more to work with.

If you have some more ideas, just post them.

BTW, we added a "new" country FFF - Free French Forces. In 1.14, the thought is when the Vichy event fires, what is now VIC will become FRA and what is FRA will become FFF, just like real life.

• 2Like
Reactions:
EDIT: I'm a fool! Post #2 has a working link.

Last edited:
If you have some more ideas, just post them.
I've have indeed some ideas which I'd like to see in the game. Nonetheless, since I'm not up-to-date with the current state of v1.13, I'll better wait for its release and play then a little bit to get a better grasp what I'd like to see added or changed (or even removed).

BTW, we added a "new" country FFF - Free French Forces. In 1.14, the thought is when the Vichy event fires, what is now VIC will become FRA and what is FRA will become FFF, just like real life.
Great, this finally solves all those issues with the switch_allegiance command. :)

Update

The airnames, armynames and navynames files have only seen two minor changes. Some minor corrections have also been made.

revised
CHL - Chile

tweaked
MLY - Malaysia

fixed
AST - Australia
BHU - Bhutan
BRU - Brunei
BUR - Burma
CAN - Canada
EAF - East Africa
ENG - United Kingdom
GLD - Ghana
GUY - Guyana
IND - India
IRE - Irish
NAM - Namibia
NIG - Nigeria
NZL - New Zealand
PAK - Pakistan
RHO - Rhodesia
SAF - South Africa
SAR - Sarawak
SCO - Scotland
SIE - Sierra Leone
U70 - Uganda
U73 - England
U75 - Singapore
U79 - West India
U83 - Sri Lanka
U86 - Gambia
U89 - Jamaica
U92 - Malta
U97 - Tanzania
U00 - Europe

Neither U01-U69 nor UA0-UB5 are yet included (exceptions: U16, U24).

Adding names for the new nations has only started (OFS, AHE, HPR) and these will only be uploaded after the release of v1.13.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Here's the updates for 1.13, so far. We're trying to get rid of the UXX tags except the U00-U99 country tags. Those 100 tags will be for user defined countries. You'' also start seeing countries that will appear on the 1.14 map release update:

OFS - ORANGE FREE STATE
AHE - AUSTRO HUNGARIAN EMPIRE
AFP - AFGHANISTAN PEOPLES REPUBLIC
HPR - HUNGARIAN PEOPLES REPUBLIC
FOT - FEDERATION OF TURKISTAN
IUR - IDEL URAL REPUBLIC
IMR - IMPERIAL RUSSIA
IMG - IMPERIAL GERMANY
WMR - WIEMAR REPUBLIC
IEA - ITALIAN EAST AFRICA
GRN - GREENLAND
ILY - ITALIAN LIBYA