• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

baronsabato

Sergeant
12 Badges
Nov 1, 2014
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Since the last update, I noticed that my city has had a significant increase in tourism, and this is primarily causing really bad traffic on my highways leading into the city, extending all the way to the borders of the map. This wasn't happening previously, and it's happening on all freeways into the city. I went and turned off dummy traffic using TMPE and this is still happening- sort of surprising!

It's not a huge deal- I like having tourists- but I'm super sensitive to the effects of the path unit limit since I almost always hit it by the time my city reaches 300,000 people or so. This is a newish city that I started shortly after Plazas and Promenades came out so maybe it's also the result of not having built an airport yet, but I swear that this was not happening before the last update, although I don't know why it would have affected this. Perhaps it's due to a mod issue or something? Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue.

I agree that something seems to have changed here, might be another bug. I can't recall actual road congestion into newly placed attractions before, like here in the attached screenshot into the Theater of Wonders (and some other buildings I tested this with). I think it happens with buildings that have a large visitor capacity.

Things calm down pretty quickly after the initial rush, but it would be nice if they just used public transit instead of driving.

Attachments

• Screenshot 40.png
    Screenshot 40.png
    1,2 MB · Views: 0
There’s a topic in the bug forums about excessive imports, apparently something was tweaked so maybe it affects tourists too?

I think the unique building mechanic is an issue in general now. There’s far too many buildings that lead to increased visitor numbers which soon turns into a negative.

Every skyscraper could potentially attract 30-40+ tourists a week in an area you don’t want them.

This is happening to me in my current city on Hanami Bay map after placing skyscrapers. Paradox really needs to make some of these buildings as residential, office, and commercial.

It's happening on an outside connection highway that is not in one of the tiles I want to buy.

I'm trying to use as few mods as possible right now due to all of the updates, so I'm avoiding RICO.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is happening to me in my current city on Hanami Bay map after placing skyscrapers. Paradox really needs to make some of these buildings as residential, office, and commercial.

It's happening on an outside connection highway that is not in one of the tiles I want to buy.

I'm trying to use as few mods as possible right now due to all of the updates, so I'm avoiding RICO.
If I end up converting the skyscrapers through Ploppable RICO to office or residential spaces, do they lose their attractiveness to tourists?

• 1Like
Reactions:
If I end up converting the skyscrapers through Ploppable RICO to office or residential spaces, do they lose their attractiveness to tourists?

Yeah (fortunately or unfortunately depending on what you want). Depending on what their levels are, they may need multiple services/parks by them or you will constantly have an issue notification hovering over them.

It can feel a bit cheaty as well as you can add a ton of jobs/homes (if you wanted) to a building.
I try to keep it close to the amount of jobs or homes that a factory from the Industries dlc has...so like 500 or less.

• 1Like
Reactions:
it is possible they could make them residential or office if they wanted to. Just look at industries those big unique factory's, saw mills and ore plants taking up alot of tiles. They made them functional. They have their own rico mod

• 2Like
Reactions:
Can anyone at CO confirm if anything was changed around tourist behaviour?

I've found once city attractiveness gets to a certain point, tourist cars overwhelm my roads and it's frustrating to the point it's game breaking. One save game has them queuing up to get into the city (only one one side, the other highway into the city is clear).

Doesn't matter how good my public transport is or what inter-city options there are - it's just tourists everywhere visiting everything like dog parks, community pool, etc.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:

I've found once city attractiveness gets to a certain point, tourist cars overwhelm my roads and it's frustrating to the point it's game breaking. One save game has them queuing up to get into the city (only one one side, the other highway into the city is clear).

Doesn't matter how good my public transport is or what inter-city options there are - it's just tourists everywhere visiting everything like dog parks, community pool, etc.
I’m glad someone else is noticing this. It’d definitely been an issue even after removing skyscrapers from the new ccp. Hoping this gets fixed!

We haven't made any changes to tourism in the latest patch.

To everyone: What is your number of weekly tourists, population, and city attractiveness? And did you place any number of unique buildings recently, including ones from Content Creator Packs?

To everyone: What is your number of weekly tourists, population, and city attractiveness? And did you place any number of unique buildings recently, including ones from Content Creator Packs?
See post #4 of this thread for some data, including momentary congestion caused by newly placed Theater of Wonders unique building (unmodded city). The building initially had weekly visitor numbers of around 130/95 (total/tourists), which is very high compared to what I recall those being previously. Government Offices has a consistent 80/40 per week across different saves, regardless of city attractiveness.

(Note that visitor numbers are from memory and possibly not exactly accurate, but in the right ballpark.)

We haven't made any changes to tourism in the latest patch.

Weekly tourists: 1,402
Population: 44,000
Attractiveness: 77%
1,072 tourists using public transport weekly.

I added 7 buildings from Japan CCP with an inter-city bus station next to them and since then there's queues of cars on the highway on one side - but those cars are not vistting the 'big' stuff I'd expect them to or what I just added. They all seem to be going to basketball courts, flower plazas, etc.

Here's a picture from that city.

Why would a tourist visit a dog park in a residential area...but anyway this tourist is visiting a place right next to a metro station - the station has inter-city bus, rail and air connections to it.

Screenshot 66.png

Here's some other typical tourist behaviour. They've arrived at the harbour and used a pocket car to travel a very short walkable distance:

Screenshot 65.png

Last one - there's an inter-city bus station bottom left next to the stadium plus a metro/rail hub in the centre. Both have a short metro journey exactly to where this tourists wants to go but the tourist drives a less direct route instead.

Screenshot 67.png

I end up not being able to use all the unique buildings I have because it attracts too many tourists overall and they clog up the whole city by visiting basketball courts, playgrounds and other small stuff that was only there to increase land value.

I only asked if tourist behaviour had changed because I've seen it asked a few times - couple of threads on reddit straight after the update as well as this thread.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just seen this comment from another player which is the same issue I have where tourists are all driving in from only one bit of highway since the update:

out of town tourists prefer mass transit instead of pouring into the city in cars ('solved' that by bulldozing 3 out of 4 incoming hwy connections - wasn't an issue until last update)

Also forgot to mention, my inter-city rail/metro hub in the last picture goes direct to my airport. There is only one rail connection on the map and inter-city trains are coming in regularly. Tourists visiting 'Airline Lounge' are driving to that station to use the metro half of it.

They have ignored bus, rail and air but also the more logical option to simply stay on the highway in their car to get to the airport.

So yeah tourist behaviour is dumb and annoying lately to the point it ruins cities past a certain attractiveness threshold.

You're forced to set up loads of mini-districts with Old Town policy which feels a bit crappy.