• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MouldyK

Second Lieutenant
7 Badges
Nov 27, 2012
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
NOTE: Yellow, Bold Points illustrate questions which the Devs confirm might be answered/touched upon at a later date. So asking questions like these have a high chance of not being answered yet.

Basic Information
  • Developed by Colossal Order, who have also made Cities in Motion 1 and 2.
  • Published by Paradox Interactive.
  • It is a City-Building Game.
  • It is a Strictly Single-player game.
  • Built on the Unity Engine, like Cities in Motion 2 was.
  • Release Date is set for 2015.

Map and UI
  • The map consists of tiles. Each tile is 2 km x 2 km and one city can have nine of those. You get to choose the tiles from 25 tiles on the map. The area is all seamless so you can have a pretty huge city! There are no regions, but there is a world outside the map that buys excess goods and ships resources if your city needs something.

There are no regions, but map tiles have attributes like a possibility for a certain outside connection (seaside for harbor, train tracks for train connection) and natural resources. So selecting map tiles to expand to lets you choose what kind of a city you want to play.
  • While the 36km² is what the game is optimized for, the developers have included a feature that let's players have an option to can uncouple the limitation and go bigger.
  • The game will ship with three different climate zones: Northern European, Mid-west Southern European and California-like Desert.
  • Resources such as Oil, Forest, Farmlands and Mining are featured in the game.
  • You will be able to make your own maps in the game.
  • No plans for a third-person camera view, but you’ll be able to use the camera rather freely.

Time
  • Time is measured in days with 3 different speeds.
  • No Night-time. :(

Systems
  • Electricity System is in place. Power Plant and Wind Turbines have been shown, so there is a choice of being Environmentally-Friendly or not.
  • Water System in place. You will place the pipes.
  • Sewage System in place. More info needed. You will place the pipes.
  • Emergency Services such as Medical, Firefighters and Police seem in place.
  • Zones are used to designate Residential, Commercial and Industrial. Might have sighted 2 forms of each in the trailer, so upgrades might be available.
  • Policies will be in the game, which allow you to change laws such as Carry Gun Laws etc. More information will be included later.
  • Citizens will be more than just visual beings. They will age, they go to school, work etc
  • No weather, but the developers do say there are other "pretty" effects.
  • There will be no disasters or other events in the game on launch, but they are on the developer's wishlist for post-release.
  • There is an outside world to the game, which allows you to buy any good which you need, as well as sell things that your industries make.

Streets and Buildings
  • There are different road types with different traffic lights and priorities associated with them. These can be upgraded on one another.
  • City Districts can be created by painting out zones in your city, which then allows you to set local policies and specializations.
  • City Districts can be named by the player and each building has a name automatically generated.
  • Special Buildings such as Hospitals, Police Stations, Schools and Stadiums can be built.
  • The game has a built-in beautification tool which allows you to create parks and define their in-game stats and then simply add them to your city.
  • Will the building be using a collision box style lot system? Or will the buildings have no base to allow free form building?

Traffic and Transport
  • Traffic will be improved over Cities in Motion 2's Traffic, however shots have shown that traffic still does the "One-Lane Only" present which is occasionally present in these sorts of games.
  • Public Transport can be built. Buses and Trains (Underground only for now) are the only ones confirmed. How much say you have over the transport lines etc. are not known yet.
  • Transportation is made lighter and more streamlined than the Cities in Motion series.
  • Long distance options working as ports to the city.

Modding
  • Modding is in the game. More information soon.
  • The game will have a built-in importer that will allow you to create your own buildings and will use Steam Workshop to share them with other players

Last edited:
You should probably mention that policies are in the game, where you can change laws in specific areas. Someone at the event suggested gun carry laws, but Karoliina seemed not so sure exactly what laws can be enacted. I assume the basic mechanic have been decided on, not its exact contents.

Finally! Been waiting for a real city builder since Cities XL (I always suspected EA's Simcity to suck).

Also sounds good there will be modding and letting players creating custom models like buildings etc is very important, you can still release purchasable DLC buildings alongside.

I am looking forward to this new city building game since Cities XL and Sim City 4. I would like to see weather in the game as well.

Also, it's very nice to see overhead power lines in this with the electricity system in Cities: Skylines.

day/night cycle is purely useless. drop it please.

There are plenty of visual features that are purely useless. Should we also drop them?

I agree that day/night cycle has less significance in a city builder than in a public transportation game, but I do like opposing hostile posts.

I don't find the day/night cycle useless at all... industry has workers at day and none at night, city centers can have people at night as well. the engine supports that already, why drop it? it can only make the experience more imersive, at least for me...

The work should intelligently and proportionally fit a day/night cycle. Surely a city game is quite capable of having night workers, especially in places like hospitals and jails, and in the city centre in night clubs. So yes, why assume that having a day/night cycle will just mean a whole dead period each 24hrs? I am all in favor of shortening the hours of darkness though, as if it was summer.

maybe add something from the website:

Main features:

City policies: Set policies to guide how the city and districts develop over the course of your playthrough.
City districts: Personalize city districts with names of your choice for variety and personality.
Road building and zoning
Unlock buildings and services
Taxation: Fine-tuning the city budget and services and setting tax rates to different residential, commercial and industrial levels and controlling what kind of areas are more likely to spawn in the zoned areas
Public transportation: Build transport networks throughout the city with buses and metros
Outside connections: Make industry and commercial districts flourish with new customers in the neighboring cities
Wonders: the ultimate end-game content that the players strive towards
Huge maps: Unlock new map tiles with unique possibilities to expand the city
Water flow simulation: Add new challenges to water services.
Polished visual style and core gameplay
Modding tools: Built in feature designed to encourage creative pursuits.

I don't find the day/night cycle useless at all... industry has workers at day and none at night, city centers can have people at night as well. the engine supports that already, why drop it? it can only make the experience more imersive, at least for me...
This. And there may be more criminals at night.

Day/night cycle is good for screenshots. I always play cities XL in day mode, but sometimes I like to look around my city at night, just to see how nice it looks.

I'm fine with day/night cycle either on or off; but a toggle would be great.

Why they keep including this whole "resources" thing on modern city buildings? It doens't really fit to this kind of games. Resources are usually shipped to cities, not gathered in the spot.I find this very disappointing. It would be more interesting and realistic if they could find new ways to enhance city building games instead of using old recipes like resources. If they want to impliment that kind of gameplay with resources, I think it would be more fun to get the resources from non playable cities or suppliers and the amount and type of resources bought would affect the economy and shape of the city. For example, if you buy a lot of steel, steel related companies will flourish and this will have consecuences in your city. like pollution, cheaper steel=more traffic, cheaper building contruction, etc. As your city gets more wealthy and advanced you can buy more "sophisticated" resources and technology (solar panel cells, for example) that will have a more positive impact, like high tech industries or less electric energy consumption.

The old oil+minerals+wood+farm thingy is so medieval and boring...