• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6777)

Field Marshal
Dec 10, 2001
Greetings one and all to the forum’s the latest collaborative effort. Many have you have laughed (and cried) along with Denmark: Fellowship of the Kings, and I am thrilled at the number of writers who responded to my latest “call for writers”…a full 32 people (and more, really) have expressed interest in participating in this latest venture: Venice.

To accommodate all of the interest and give everyone a fair turn, I’ve decided to run two simultaneous threads and split the writers into two teams. Somehow the terms “The A Team” and “The B Team” seem to have sprung up, but the division was done by sheer happenstance…I did an alphabetical sort of everyone’s names and then alternated between teams as I went down the list of names. Presto…two teams!

Each participant will be writing about the reign of a Doge during the 400-year Grand Campaign game. They will play for as long as the Doge is alive, then save the file and pass it on to the next Doge, and then post an installment or two (or three…) about what happened during their reign. This should make for some pretty interesting game play as you never know what your successor might do…or your predecessor for that matter. Unlike the Denmark collaborative effort, however, each player will play several Doges during Venice’s alternate history, rather than one, since there are a full 52 Doges who will chart the course of the nation through the turbulent times ahead.

I encourage everyone (both participants and interested readers) to check out both threads on an ongoing basis. It will be interesting to see what direction the individual players happen to take the nation, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see to radically different countries emerge at the end of the game.

I should also point out the obvious…that although the two threads bear my name, I am only a very small cog in a very big wheel and every author is an equal participant and is due equal credit for the success of the project. (Of course if it fails for some ungodly reason then I’ll take all of the blame…it won’t happen though!).

If you like what you’re reading then please feel welcome to post replies/comments/etc. in thread, but I’d appreciate it if we could limit the amount of OT as much as possible since it would be a daunting task to also maintain independent “text only” threads as I have been for the Denmark AAR.

Both games are being played using EU II version 1.05 with normal/normal settings and dynamic missions turned off. Players are advised that no cheats or custom leaders/monarchs/mods are to be used, and that only in the event of a CTD should they reload a game. Other than a certain degree of “fair play”, players may do as they like during their reign. The object of the game isn’t necessarily to conquer the world, but to provide some highly entertaining reading for everyone. Failure may be just as sweet as victory…

There is also supposed to be no “us against them” mentality between the two threads (though we’ll see how long our respective psychologies hold out on that one ;)) so if the two realms progress at different speeds and in different directions, that’s fine…in fact, it’s preferable so there will be more variety between the two.

Lastly, each author is completely free to choose whatever writing style happens to tickle his fancy, and is completely free to decide on the degree of accurate historical flavor (or lack thereof) that they employ. I expect that it will be quite a rollercoaster-ride as we progress.

So without further ado, we present:

Every Doge Has his Day

Note: you can find the sister thread Doge Day Afternoon right here

EDIT: A revised Doge listing has now been applied following a few computer and RL problems/glitches...

The “Cast”

1 Jan. 1419 - Tommaso Mocenigo - Rictus
4 Apr. 1423 - Francesco Foscarini - Lord Durham
23 Oct. 1457 - Pasquale Malipiero - Storey
12 May 1462 - Cristoforo Moro - Dan Cook
2 Nov. 1471 - Nicolò Tron - Baron Jukaga
28 July 1473 - Nicolò Marcello - Storey
1 Dec. 1474 - Pietro Mocenigo - Rictus
23 Feb.1476 - Andrea Vendamin - Valandil
6 May 1478 - Giovanni Mocenigo - Warspite (sub for pds)
14 Nov. 1485 - Marco Barbango - Edgar Francis I
14 Aug.1486 - Agostino Barbango - Honour_Shogun
20 Sept. 1501 - Leonardo Loredano - Peter Ebbesen (sub for Ariel)
22 June 1521 - Antonio Grimani - Dan Cook
7 May 1523 - Andrea Gritti - Edgar Francis I
29 Dec. 1539 - Pietro Lando - Backpack
11 Nov. 1545 - Franco Donato - Lt. Tyler
23 May 1553 - Francesco Venier - Norgesvenn (for H_S)
2 June 1556 - Laurenti Priuli - Warspite (sub for pds)
17 Aug.1559 - Girolamo Priuli - Edgar Francis I
4 Nov. 1567 - Pietro Loredan - Peter Ebbesen (sub for Ariel)
5 May 1570 - Alvise Mocenigo I - Rictus
4 June 1577 - Sebastiano Venier - Peter Ebbesen (sub for Ariel)
3 Mar. 1578 - Niccoló da Ponte - Misha
30 July 1585 - Pasquale Cicogna - Backpack & Norgesvenn
4 Apr. 1595 - Marino Grimani - Storey
25 Dec. 1605 - Leonardo Loredano II - Wasa
16 July 1612 - Marco Memo - Lt. Tyler
31 Oct. 1615 - Giovanni Bembo - The Hawk
16 Mar. 1618 - Niccoló Donato - Lord Durham
9 May 1618 - Antonio Priulo - Dan Cook
12 Aug.1623 - Franco Centurioni - Lt. Tyler
6 Dec. 1624 - Giovanni Cornari I - The Hawk
23 Dec. 1629 - Niccoló Centurioni - Misha
2 Apr. 1631 - Franco Erizzo - Lt. Tyler
3 Jan. 1646 - Franco Molino - Valandil
27 Feb.1655 - Carlo Contarini - Warspite (sub for pds)
1 May 1656 - Franco Cornello - Lord Durham
5 June 1656 - Bertuccio Valiero - Backpack
29 Mar. 1658 - Giovanni Pesaro - Wasa
30 Sept. 1659 - Domenic Contarini - Valandil
26 Jan. 1675 - Niccoló Sagredo - Sharur
14 Aug.1676 - Alvise Contarini - Norgesvenn (for H_S)
15 Jan. 1684 - Marco Giustiniani - Misha
23 Mar. 1688 - Franco Morosini - Baron Jukaga
6 Jan. 1694 - Sylvester Valiero - Wasa
7 July 1700 - Alvise Mocenigo II - The Hawk
6 May 1709 - Giovanni Cornari II - Misha
12 Aug.1722 - Alvise Mocenigo III - Baron Jukaga
21 May 1732 - Carlo Ruzzini - Norgesvenn (for H_S)
5 Jan. 1735 - Alvise Pisani - Sharur
17 June 1741 - Pietro Grimani - Rictus
7 Mar. 1752 - Franco Loredano - Sharur
19 May 1762 - Marco Foscari - Edgar Francis I
31 Mar. 1763 - Alvise Mocenigo IV - Warspite (sub for pds)
31 Dec. 1778 - Paulo Rainiero - Wasa
18 Feb.1789 - Luigi Manin - Peter Ebbesen (sub for Ariel)
12 May 1789 - Mystery Doge - Lord Durham

Last edited:
I realize the people who put this fine bit of diversion together (the game EUII, not this project) had a great deal on their minds when doing it, so I can forgive them if they got some names wrong when compiling their monarch's lists. However, I do find it's easier to do Internet research (or any other kind of research for that matter) if the names are corrected. For instance, two of the four (!) doges I'll be driving are in fact named incorrectly in the list I'm sure MrT lifted directly from the file in the game.

For all those with the surname "Barbango", substitute "Barbarigo" (i.e. my guy, Marco Barbarigo, followed by his brother Agostino).

Also, Marco Foscarini instead of "Foscari".

There isn't a whole lot out there as far as I can find about specific doges (dogi?), so if anyone wants to volunteer some lovely, helpful sites or non-electronic material, I'm all ears. Er, eyes I guess.

EF1

It's a good thing we A Team types don't have to stoop to hype and hyperbolae to garner view and post counts :rolleyes: :D

Perhaps no one will be offended if I ask LD to exercise his moditorial powers to exise some of this once we begin (from both threads...not that we A Team types would clutter up our own thread ;))

:D

"In 1419 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Venice underground.

Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the
B-Team

ateam2.jpg

So lemme see... from back to front, left to right, that would be:

Norgesvenn ~ Rictus ~ Ariel
~ Lord Durham ~ Sharur ~

...let me know if I've got any cases of mistaken identity there...

;)

Originally posted by Edgar Francis I
I realize the people who put this fine bit of diversion together (the game EUII, not this project) had a great deal on their minds when doing it, so I can forgive them if they got some names wrong when compiling their monarch's lists. However, I do find it's easier to do Internet research (or any other kind of research for that matter) if the names are corrected. For instance, two of the four (!) doges I'll be driving are in fact named incorrectly in the list I'm sure MrT lifted directly from the file in the game.

For all those with the surname "Barbango", substitute "Barbarigo" (i.e. my guy, Marco Barbarigo, followed by his brother Agostino).

Also, Marco Foscarini instead of "Foscari".

There isn't a whole lot out there as far as I can find about specific doges (dogi?), so if anyone wants to volunteer some lovely, helpful sites or non-electronic material, I'm all ears. Er, eyes I guess.

EF1
EF1,

I've also noticed this. Looks like most of the Doges named Franco are actually Francesco, so if you're Google searching that will help. Also some of the Marcos are actually Marcantonio.

And lastly, looks like the Centurionis should actually be Contarini. I actually found a website set up by one of their descendents.

Hey Rictus, you're looking good! :D

One other for consideration.

Every Doge Has His Day
Brought to you by: The Reservoir Doges

(a.k.a. The B Team)

They were perfect strangers, assembled to pull off the perfect AAR.

suits.JPG

Mr. White: Just hold on buddy boy. Hold on, and wait for Joe. I can't do anything for you, but when Joe gets here, which should be anytime now, he'll be able to help you. We're just gonna sit here, and wait for Joe. Who are we waiting for?

Mr. Orange: Joe.

*looks around for Storey*:)

Last edited:
Joe is here and all I can say is Damn I look good in black. I always loved those pencil thin black ties.:D Ah the memories. B stands for the BUTT we are going to kick! All right Rictus lets get going!

Joe

Originally posted by Backpack

Every Doge Has His Day
Brought to you by: The Reservoir Doges

(a.k.a. The B Team)

They were perfect strangers, assembled to pull off the perfect AAR.

suits.JPG

I know that there is a black and white of this shot somewhere. Perhaps someone could grayscale this and put it up on their site for us to link to...

Movie Quote:

MR. WHITE: Just hold on buddy boy. Hold on, and wait for Joe. I can't do anything for you, but when Joe gets here, which should be anytime now, he'll be able to help you. We're just gonna sit here, and wait for Joe. Who are we waiting for?

MR. ORANGE: Joe.

*looks around for Storey*:)

Mr. White looks to Mr. Pink, tapping his fingers on the handle of a concealed baretta. "Well, Rictus... er, Mr. Pink, hopefully that shipment of 1.05 comes in soon. I'm rather eager to pick up the tale when you have finished." Glancing around, Mr.White locates a bottle of 18 year old Glenmorangie, and deftly cracks it open. Holding it up, he asks, "Drink, anyone?"

---------------------------------------------

As for deleting, that will be my job, and under the supervision, and discretion, of MrT.

As a further aside, there are some pretty raunchy quotes from that movie. I'd ask that everyone use discretion when it comes to choice of quote.

Last edited:
Re: Question on Doge info.

Edgar Francis I,

"A History of Venice" by John Julius Norwich seems to be the definitive book. In a quick search, I haven't found any websites that give detailed information on most individual doges. But this book is recommended all over the web, and it's in our library here (Colorado Springs), so try your local library.

I believe that it's the history of Venice that I read, and it was very detailed on the personalities involved in each dogeship, from the founding to the fall of the Serene Republic.

Of course, it took me nine weeks to read the thing. :)
I hope this helps.

Re: Re: Question on Doge info.

Originally posted by P.Q. Varus
Edgar Francis I,

"A History of Venice" by John Julius Norwich seems to be the definitive book. In a quick search, I haven't found any websites that give detailed information on most individual doges. But this book is recommended all over the web, and it's in our library here (Colorado Springs), so try your local library.

I believe that it's the history of Venice that I read, and it was very detailed on the personalities involved in each dogeship, from the founding to the fall of the Serene Republic.

Of course, it took me nine weeks to read the thing. :)
I hope this helps.

PQV,

Thanks for the recommendation. I had actually just taken it out of my local university library (putting those alumni association fees to good use) the day you posted. For anyone else who's interested, I can now also highly recommend it. The index is a little inaccurate, but it works with some patience.

I also find a neat little nugget called "The Doge of Venice: The Symbolism of State Power in the Renaissance" by Asa Boholm. It's more an anthropological approach to symbols and meaning and whatnot, but it's methodical, meticulous and has some fantastic details about the regular requirements of a doge and the ceremony/procedure around the death of a sitting doge and the election of a new one.

Don't worry, I won't bore everyone showing off my new (entirely superficial) "knowledge" in my AAR parts.

And if only 1.05 would just... ah you know the rest.

EF1

Tommaso Mocenigo stood on a balcony at the Palace of the Doges
his hands resting on his hips, his feet wide apart, his chin jutting
upward into the air while he looked out over the cheering crowd
that ebbed and flowed in its celebratory dance that stretched for
as far as the eye could see. The news had reached the city less
than a day ago and the celebrating had immediately started until
the entire city seemed to be ablaze with victory bonfires and
drunken citizens. He grinned and saluted the crowd as the victory ceremony
that they had all come to see reached its climatic moment.

The standards of the beaten countries were raised one by one in the
Piazza San Marco. First Mantua then Milan to be followed quickly by
the flag of Rome itself and with only a momentary pause to let the
crowd howl its approval it was followed by Hellas and Ragusa who
were raised to undulate in the breeze to almost at once be followed
by little Albania’s standard. They were all new, if unwilling, members
to the great Empire of Venice. But the loudest cheer went up when
the Ottoman and Mameluk standards were raised to signify the
destruction of these mighty empires. First as a distant cry but soon
taken up by more and more of the crowd until it found a life of its
own the chant of TOMMASO MOCENIGO, TOMMASO MOCENIGO, TOMMASO MOCENIGO filled the heavens.

Tommaso felt himself being shaken.

"Wha, what? Hump…."

He jerked his eyes open only to see his wife, Angela Ansaloni looming over him glaring down.

"You were mumbling something about glory or some such nonsense. Really Tommaso to must stay away from eating pork it always gives you nightmares.’

Tommaso sighed as he fondly remembered his dream and sat up in bed. The servants were pulling back the window curtains revealing the morning sun in all of its golden splendor. Another servant fluffed up his pillows so that he could sit up in bed. His wife was already sitting up in their bed reading letters from their married daughters while yet another servant brought Tommaso his portable writing desk so that he could, as was his habit, go over the messages that had arrived during the night. He sat in bed muching on a frugal breakfast of dried fruit while Angela had her usual tray of pastries to nibble on as they went through their normal morning routine. She and Tommaso had 4 daughters who were all married and who all wrote to their mother weekly feeding her the gossip she seemed to enjoy so much.

An odder couple couldn’t be imagined when you looked at them. Where Angela was plump to the point of being rotund Tommaso was thin to the point of appearing emaciated . Where Tommaso had thinning gray hair Angela’s was full and dark. Where Angela sat straight up, shoulders back reading letters, Tommaso was hunched down, his head bent over the morning’s messages. It would come as a surprise to any whom saw them that Angela was older than Tommaso by several years. It would also surprise them to know that this thin bent man who looked older than his age had at one time commanded the crusading fleet in the expedition to Nicopolis in 1396. His victories against the Genoese and Ottomans led to his further advancement to become the ambassador to Cremona. Soon after he was elected Doge di Venice. But all that was before he married Angela and entered the world of matrimony otherwise rudely called by Tommaso "The cross that every man must bear."

After the servants had left the bedroom all that could be heard was the nasal breathing of Angela and the scratching of Tommaso’s quill on the parchment that he was signing. He had almost finished his signature when Angela suddenly asked.

"What is that you’re signing dear?"

"This? Oh it nothing my love."

"Don’t you my love me. What is it you’re signing?"

"Well my darling it’s an order for the army to march to Istria and attack the Hungarian forces besieging our fortress there. We are as you know at war with Hungary and Croatia my love."

"Nonsense! You’ll do nothing of the kind. Those Hungarian are just social climbers. They just want attention and if you give them any they’ll just want mare. Ignore them!"

"But…"

Angela starred hard at Tommaso and he sank a little deeper into the pillows that propped him up. He looked like a wounded ship turning into the wind to let the wind go out of his sails as he fluttered before the victor, Angela. He quickly decided that a "Yes dear, what ever you say dear." was the right thing to say. He tried to bend over the next parchment to prevent his wife from seeing what he was reading but it was a waste of time. Angela had learned to read his body language and knew even before he did when there was something of interest for her to give her advice on.

"And what is that you’re reading?"

"Ah, well my love it’s a declaration of war against Mantua. The senate and I…"

"Mantua! Are you mad? Our daughter Maria lives there."

Yes dear but the war faction in the senate led by Umberto Ebbesenino wants to expand and they won’t take no for an answer."

"Well tell those fools that we are not declaring war on Mantua. They also aren’t attacking Ragusa, Helvetia or Hellas. Our daughters aren’t going to be subjected to war by their father! If the senate gives you any back talk tell them that we should attack Austria instead."

"AUSTRIA! "

"Don’t you raise your voice to me you little worm!"

"Hmm, sorry my love forgive me but Austria has three times the soldiers that we have. It would be suicide to attack them. Besides what excuse can I give the senate to convince them to do this?"

The glower that Angela directed at Tommaso would have done Medusas proud.

"Now why doesn’t it surprise me that someone who can’t be a man in bed has trouble being a man for his country?"

Tommaso hunched down further into the pillows on the bed looking like a turtle pulling in limbs back into his shell.

"If I must do your thinking for you so be it. All you have to say is one word. One word that even those nitwits in the senate can understand. GOLD!"

"You mean the Steiermark gold mines?"

"No I mean the Swedish gold mines. You idiot of course I mean the Steiermark gold mines. God give me patience to deal with fools like you."

"Yes dear. Whatever you think is best dear." Was heard from the depths of the goose down prison that held Tommaso Mocenigo.

I hope that first post isn't a dramatic foreshadowing of the future, Joe! :eek: Jeez...and you guys were calling me a warmonger.:D

Good start! i see you've adopted an entirely different power behind the throne. I love their lovey-dovey dialogue. It seems you're very adept at it...the Stanislovsky method of writing perhaps. ;)

Originally posted by Secret Master
And so it begins...

I do so enjoy marital squabbling that spills over into politics. It always spices things up...

Yes its amazing how many strong women and weak men there are in these AARs.;)

Joe

Originally posted by MrT
I hope that first post isn't a dramatic foreshadowing of the future, Joe! :eek: Jeez...and you guys were calling me a warmonger.:D

Good start! i see you've adopted an entirely different power behind the throne. I love their lovey-dovey dialogue. It seems you're very adept at it...the Stanislovsky method of writing perhaps. ;)

With all the warmongering talk that was going around even before the B team started I had to give it a little twist somehow and use it in my introduction.:D

And yes I've been know to say "Yes dear. Whatever you say dear.":D It should be required for any man entering into marriage to learn by heart. It will save you endless arguments.:D

Joe

Last edited:
Tommaso found out that as usual Angela was right. The Hungarians besieged the fortresses in Istria and Dalmatia but were ignored. Finally in frustration the Hungarians whipped out their penises and waved them in the general direction of Venice before quitting the siege in disgust because of the lack of response by the Venetian military forces. Angela remarked.

"Its good that they found something useful for their manhood to do. At least they can still get it up."

Tommaso shrank a little lower into the pillows and said nothing.

A Status Quo peace was reached and Tommaso turned his energies to getting the various Venetian political powers to agree to attack Austria. Calvary units were being raised for so called self-defensive reasons but Tommaso had other plans for them. Tommaso was the first to admit that when he first proclaimed his intention to attack Austria he was not surprised by the angry reaction. However he kept at it and soon would finish every speech he gave with the words. "The gold mines in Steiermark must be ours!" He was mocked mercilessly at first but he persisted and as Angela had prophesized the word "GOLD" worked miracles. One of her favorite sayings was.

"Never underestimate the power of greed, fear or lust. Each in its own right can lead to power."

In October 1419 the first indication that war with Austria was a real possibility occurred when Austria declared war against Helveita. Venice watched as over 40,000 proud Austrians marched off to disappear into the west. Venice redoubled its effort realizing for the first time that with those troops removed from Austria, Venice might just be able to succeed in Tommaso’s crazy plan.

January 1420 and Austria joins the alliance of Hungary, Bohemia, Luxembourgh and Siebenburgen.

The reaction to this alliance caused what became known as "the great panic of 1420". Venice lost it monopoly in Veneto and worst would have happened if not for the quick action of Tommaso. He pointed out that Austria by joining this alliance had now entered an ongoing war against the Knights, Cyprus and Serbia. Austria now found itself in a two front war! He also used his personal fortune to prop up the market until it could recover from the panic. Angela was of course the driving force behind this plan. As she was fond of saying.

"You can’t fight a real war with pitchforks."

The money that Tommaso invested in the military industrial infrastructure made the two of them quite wealthy.

( Moved slider +1 land)

It was now too late to turn back since Venice had spent its entire treasury to improve its land forces at a dear cost to its navy. The navy had been dry docked to save money since there would be no naval battles in the coming war with land locked Austria and its allies.

(Naval maintenance at 50% for the entire turn)

Venice was finally as ready as it was ever going to be and at 8:39 am on the 2nd of February 1420 Venice declared war on Austria.

Well, well. There's something that you don't see every day. The women is the driving force in the marriage? How far-fatched... :rolleyes::D

Should be interesting, Storey, just don't forget to take some land from Hungary, too :)