• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am ready to send the files on to the next Doge. Any takers? Don't be shy, there are plenty to go around. Just step forward and raise your hand....

:D

Posting begins very soon and won't take too long on mine.

Hmmm, interesting AAR very nice to read the stuff of different players.

I don't know if you already have a player for the next doge (Marco Memo?) but if you don't have one, I can give it a try. I probably can't make such a good story as you guys, but I can try:)

Anyways I am available if someone is needed :)

Welcome aboard Ironfoundersson! Just write whatever you want the way you want. ;)

Joe

We now have the first two Doges in hand for the restart of this AAR. I will post the first this weekend and Maarten will post his. DO we have a third volunteer for the next Doge?

Last edited:
The Disposition of the Wealth of Doge: Leonardo Loredano II

I, Leonardo Loredano, being of sound mind and body do hereby attest that this is my last will and testiment.

My last seven years were a series of trials and tribulations. Because of this, I have left this life long before my appointed time. This document will be a final testiment of my life and my accomplishments in this most holy of positions. To aide in an accurate portayal of my chapter in the history books, I will help you by detailing my reign as Doge....

The Disposition of the Wealth of Doge: Leonardo Loredano II, Part 2

My reign began on December 26, 1605. My predecessor was incompetent and I feel that many of my problems were do to mistakes HE made and problems HE left me. I, of course, am not to blame.

For instance, can I be blamed that the 100 Years War between France and England ended on December 28th? Of course not. It was bad press that the town criers cried out the next day

"Hear ye! Hear ye! Hear all about it! New doge blamed for the end of the 100 years war! Details at 11!"

Like I said. I had nothing to do with that. I am innocent.

Another example occurred the same day. In the Ukraine, a new leader took the reigns of power to lead his glorious nation. His name was Izapovych. During a celebration dinner for his ascension to power, he ate some bad caviar and died. Am I to blame?

In March, pirates began to ravage the trade in the Caribbean new Puerto Rico. Again, can I be blamed for the actions of a bunch of lawless thugs on the other side of the ocean? I think not!

On Fools Day in 1606, the rabble in Oldenburg dared to rise up their banner of revolt. (Again, not my fault). I ordered that all my forced in the area to crush the revolt. Every rebel who opposed me was to be drawn and quartered.

Later in April, something occurred which is my fault. I expect to be remembered for establishing a new colony in Gambia that month. But no, nobody mentions that. Instead, they all mention that I failed in my attempt to colonize Damman. But of course, that colony failed due to a sand storm and bad water. Not because of anything I did. To add insult to injury, the colonists in Qatar, who had successfully set up a beautiful city, lost heart and decided to move back to Venice. This is because these cowards were failures, not because I was! Again, nobody notices that my colonists were successful in Caniapiscau in June but boy did they blast me in the cities when Ovambo colonists succumbed to an outbreak of the Tse Tse fly!

See what I mean. My reign was unfairly attacked again and again!

Last edited:
The Disposition of the Wealth of Doge: Leonardo Loredano II, Part 3

I have been detailing my last will and testament. I now continue detailing how the affairs that beset me during my rule were not my fault.

On July 6 in the year 1606, the dread pirate T raised his banner in the waters near Puerto Rico. This scourge of the seven seas has been attacking shipping for almost twenty years. Therefore, I most assuredly cannot be held accountable for any crimes he perpetrated! Nonetheless, the dread pirate T spent the rest of the year ravaging my commerce in both North and South America.

Later that month, my great army arrived in Oldenburg and proceeded to decimate the rebels. Now, where was the credit when I did something great like that? Rather then praise me for what my armies accomplished, I was blasted by the home crowds for a few accidental friendly fire deaths in my forces! Imagine the unfairness of all that!

In October, my great leadership led the people of my dear country to have a massive outpouring of support for me. Will history remember this? I think not! Will they remember that my leadership resulted in great advances in new techniques within my navy? Of course not!

In January of 1607, many of the powers of Europe met in Paris. They decided to form a pact obviously aimed at Venice and her benevolent rule over much of central Europe. This so-called Catholic League is a challenge to every Venetian and I could not rest while it lived on in its terrible form. France, Baden and Kleves were the initial nations in this evil covenant. Again, this was not my fault!

January ended with news that my brave colonists in Nueltin were massacred by the savages. I had only the best interests of the people of Nueltin in mind when I tried to bring them the glory of civilization. This was not my fault!

The problem with the Tse Tse Fly having run its course, I installed a successful colony in Ovambo in April. Do I receive credit for this? NO! I only hear that the first colony failed (for reasons that were not my fault!)

In May of 1607, the dread Pirate T raised his banner in the Red Sea! Am I supposed to patrol even those seas? This was not my fault!

My explorers discovered Jenné on the Niger Delta in September. I had financed the expedition. I had ordered my explorers to look in that area. Who gets credit? Columia. Some silly assed Neapolitan explorer gets the glory. I get the shaft. It is my fault but nobody notices!

In September, Venetian settlers trying to establish a toehold in the frozen northern Manitoba region failed due to weather and hostile natives. It was not my fault!

See what I mean about how I get blamed for all the bad that happens to Venice and receive none of my well-earned credit?

The Disposition of the Wealth of Doge: Leonardo Loredano II, Part 4

I have been detailing my last will and testament. I now enter the middle years of my glorious reign where things continued to go wrong and it was not my fault!

I started 1608 by looking over my great nation. I decided I needed more trade in Santee. Of course it was a successful effort. Of course nobody gave me credit for this!

In May the mayors of the cities of Venice came before me to demand a return of some of their ancient rights. To refuse them would have thrown the nation into chaos. I agreed to give them back some of their rights. Nonetheless, the nation became much more unstable. I was not to blame! Did I take these ancient rights away from the cities? Did I not give them back what they demanded? Why am I at fault?

In June I sent a glorious gift to the Portuguese nation to reaffirm our close relationship as European Catholic brothers. My gift was greatly appreciated. Did I receive credit? Of course not. The council claimed that I had siphoned off profit for a useless act of aggrandizement to improve relations with a nothing nation. The nerve!

On July 4th, I received the sad news that once again, my attempt to bring civilization to Nueltin failed. The Council was up in arms about my waste of money and men! It was not my fault. When this was followed in September by news that the brave colonists heading towards Niassa drowned when their boats were caught in a terrible storm, my name became synonymous with evil. It was not my fault.

The uproar in Venice forced me to take an extended tour of my colonies. This resulted in little activity by my glorious government for the rest of the year. It was not my fault.

In January of 1609 I was touring the Red Sea. I saw much potential in an arid stretch of land known as Qatar. I ordered my fastest clipper to return to Venice and gather up 100 colonists to claim this land for me. When the settlers landed in May, a terrible sandstorm wrecked the colony. It was not my fault.

In June, the dread pirate T again began to ravage the Caribbean Sea. It was not my fault. When in august, T again appeared off the coast of Puerto Rico, the citizens of the Western colonies drafted a letter asking for my resignation. It was not my fault.

I once again ordered a colony established in Qatar to claim that land. Again it failed, though no fault of my own. I even tried to establish a trading post in Damman, but it too failed. It was not my fault.

When in December, the Council again demanded my resignation, I ordered the army to reform in an attempt to gain control of the situation.

In January of 1610, the great explorer Giustinani passed away. He had mapped many regions in the vast southern Atlantic and he will be missed. He died of natural causes, not poisoning by me as has been claimed. His death was not my fault. When I refused to grant a national holiday for Giustinani but rather declared that the holiday would be in honor of me, who funded Giustinani, the people of Oldenburg rose up in rebellion. Obviously this was not my fault. My troops immediately crushed the revolt and hung the rebel leaders.

In March, my glorious and brave attempt to set up a trading post in the hostile deserts of Damman again ended in failure, due to a terrible storm off the coast that polluted the water sources in Damman. This was not my fault!

The rest of 1610 failed to mention my glorious achievements in the world of trade for Venice. Instead, the papers continued to report on the ravages of the dread pirate T. It was not my fault.

The Disposition of the Wealth of Doge: Leonardo Loredano II, Part 5

1610 had come and passed. My great reign was now being attacked for mistakes of others. None of the problems we faced were my fault.

1611 began with a great accomplishment in late January when my colonists in Tobago & Trinidad expanded their colony at my command. Did I receive credit? Did I receive love? Did I receive respect? None at all. This was enough to drive a great ruler insane.

Which it did.

For a while.

Then I recovered.

While I was in my retreat convalescing, my advisors managed to bungle a colonization attempt in Nueltin. I was obviously not to blame for this as I was on "vacation" at the time. It didn't matter. Across the country, the people blasphemed my name for the loss of life in Nueltin. It was not my fault.

In April, the dread pirate T raided my towns in the Red Sea.

The next day, the council voted to censure me.

It was not my fault.

Over the next two months, two more colonization attempts that I had ordered faltered without my leadership.

It was not my fault.

In early 1612, I ordered colonies established in Damman. I declared that these colonists must live. This colony must flourish.

It failed in early July.

On the 17th of July, the council met to determine my fate. They were about to order me to give up power and retire. I could not do this.

I took the only way out.

They failed to see my greatness.

They failed to understand me.

They must now bury my body, which they will find later today (July 17, 1612). I now close this document as proof that what happened to me was not my fault.

The End

From the Encyclopaedia Venetia volume IX

Marco Memo 1567-1623
Doge of Venice 1612-1615

Marco Memo was elected as a doge in 16xx. He won the election campaign on the promise of cutting down the military budget, improvement of the infrastructure and major investments in the social sector.
One of his first action as a doge was to reorganise the country into three military districts, each with one major army.
  • District South with the main army in Lombardia, controlling the Italian peninsular and eastern France
  • District East with the main army in Serbia, controlling the Balkans, Hungaria, Austria and Poland
  • District North with the main army in Munster, controlling Germany and the Dutch provinces.

This reorganization resulted in the reduction of the army costs to a quarter of the previous years while remaining amongst the top of the military forces in the world. Impressed by the cost reductions the people of Venice decided to give Marco Memo the title of "The great Reformer" (Excellent minister) with the the promise of lavish celebration within the year.

However while the celebrations were being prepared and the army reorganization was only just done, the Ottoman Empire saw the opportunity to regain some of the lands they had lost to Venice in the last centuries. The initial tides of war months went badly as Greece was flooded by Muslim troops and Venetian militia armies raised in Greece were quickly defeated. The main district east army corps meanwhile was avoiding battle with the Turks trying to sneak past them towards Constantinople. The messages of these defeats came as a hard blow to Venice. The celebration were called off and Marco Memo's grand title was withdrawn, while he only barely managed to keep his seat as doge.(Temporal Insanity of Monarch)

This proved fortunate as the doge showed his military skills by sending in the District south army while raising more militia in district east. The army was sent not to battle the fierce Turks but to try to occupy Turkish homeland. Landing in Anatolia a Turkish force was defeated and quickly all provinces were laid under siege. Meanwhile the Turks continued to besiege the provinces of Bulgaria and Macedonia. The militia from the Balkans were joined with the main eastern army and ordered to relieve the sieges in Greece. The battle of Macedonia was a long one but in the end the Turks were defeated and driven back. During the battle for Macedonia the northern protestant provinces started to rebel funded by Turkish money. The northern army was able to put down the first few revolts, but as the rebellion continued, the army got depleted. Thus new armies were raised in Italy and to the north.

A year after the war was started all Turkish provinces were under siege or had already fallen into Venetian hands. The Ottoman Empire realized the gamble was over and they accepted their defeat and recognized Venice as their overlord. The protestant in the north struggle longer, but as they were deprived from their source of money the rebellion slowly faded out.

After peace had finally settled in Venice Marco Memo was unfortunately struck by a heart attack and forced to abdicate as doge. His during his short reign he was mainly busy with war although he was elected on the promise of peace. His army reorganisations failed completely as after the war the old situation of oversized armies and scattered army groups was restored.

Well done for such a short reign. ;)

Joe