• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, now that the Hungarians have been left flat, I do hope that you can teach those Austrians how to really fight, or should I say die?

Nice job, I wonder where it will go from here? :D

Great story, Storey.

I like the twist in roles. You know what they say, Behind every man is a migrane.

Don't go too quick. I have a lot of years to cover... ;)

Originally posted by Lord Durham
Great story, Storey.

I like the twist in roles. You know what they say, Behind every man is a migrane.

Don't go too quick. I have a lot of years to cover... ;)

Well, leave us some territory to conquer!! :D

Seriously, Storey, I loved that one. Can't wait until Backpack and myself get our mitts on that savegame. :)

Oh, and just a PS! ;)
Backpack and I aren't a couple, so spare the jokes. :D

Originally posted by Baron Jukaga
Nice one. Interesting choice to attack Austria. Let's see if we can destroy them before the inheritances occur! I've never seen an Austria-free central Europe, but be sure to leave some for future Doges! :)
The Baron brings up an interesting point here. I intend on playing this 'blissfully unaware' of what 'triggers' what 'event', or what will 'trigger' if I don't meet certain criteria. In my mind that's cheating, and would affect my gameplay and choice of opponents. How anyone else plays it is up to them. :)

Oh, and Norgesvenn, about you and Backpack... I have pictures courtesy of Sgt. B., so you can't pull the... er... wool over our eyes that easy... ;)

Originally posted by Lord Durham

Oh, and Norgesvenn, about you and Backpack... I have pictures courtesy of Sgt. B., so you can't pull the... er... wool over our eyes that easy... ;)

Like I'd use the valuable commodity of wool like that!! ;) De Bloomfielde again?? Well, I should've known! ;)

Okay, Backie baby, time to confess! :D

Well, I live in a country where we've had two royal weddings in one year, so I'm slightly fed up with all the dirt digging that can be done, and very pleased that I'm not about to be wed for some time. :)

PS! Anyone taking my recents posts seriously will be tickled, then shot!

Sharur: Well I 'm fighting for my life right now against the Austrians otherwise I'd be kicking some Hungarian butt. If I had more than 4 1/2 years maybe I could do both but I don't think so.:)

Honour_Shogun: I’m in a seesaw war with Austria but I intend to teach them how to die.;) Where we go from here is LD's choice but at least the Austrians will think twice before picking on Venice. Yea right.:D

Rictus: I know, sorry.:( Well it was a mixed blessing starting things off. I sat down and started the game and then just sat there trying to figure out what to do with only four years to play. It just wasn't quite enough time to sweep the seas of the hated Turk and launch an amphibious attack on its capital or maybe unite the Italian peninsular. I thought maybe I’ll just be peaceful and build up the economy. Nah, boring. So after sitting there awhile I turned my hazel eyes north and there sat Austria. I've played Venice many times and the Austrian problem has to be dealt with and the sooner the better. There are three possible ways to go about it.

1 Ignore them. Not a good idea since they will DOW Venice at some time in the near future.
2 Bribe them. This works and if you pay them enough you can get into their alliance. This gives you a strong ally on your borders but it will also drag you into many wars that you really don't need or want to fight.
3. Attack soon, often and hard. Castrate the buggers and your problem is solved. I admit I've never been able to eliminate them from the game but if you can weaken them early you can remove the threat they pose for Venice.

So I made my choice and started the game.

Carolus Rex: Carolus you Scandinavia dog. You still around. Playing any golf yet?:D

Baron Jukaga: I'm not likely to get a lot out of this war since I don't have a lot of time so you'll have more than enough to conquer.;)

Norgesvenn: You and Backpack are a couple?:eek: Who would have thought?:)

Well, I'd say that attacking them, trying to steal a province or two from them would be the best bet. Humble those stinking Austrians, show them that nobody messes with the Venetians. We have canals for roads! That shows the rest of the world how messed up we are! Crazy! Simply crazy!

Now, the allies of Austria, how are they arrayed? Are they in any Venetian provinces? Are they close to any Venetian armies, close enough to perhaps break a siege? I would watch for them closely.

Originally posted by Honour_Shogun

Now, the allies of Austria, how are they arrayed? Are they in any Venetian provinces? Are they close to any Venetian armies, close enough to perhaps break a siege? I would watch for them closely.

Hungary seems to be the only one other that Austria taking the war seriously. In fact they cause the most damage to Venice as the next post will show.:)

Joe

Venice was finally as ready as it was ever going to be and at 8:39 am on the 2nd of February 1420 Venice declared war on Austria. Hungary, Bohemia, Luxembourgh and Siebenburgen joined Austria against Venice. Tommaso had wanted to enter an alliance before fighting this war but Angela was dead set against the idea. She sneered at the alliance of the Knights, Serbia and Cyprus. She asked what they could possibly do to help in the war other that share in the profits at no risk to themselves. Other alliances like the Papal States, Helvetia and Naples offered to let Venice join but Angela raised the same issue each time.

"No" she said. "We will be the ones spilling our blood in Austria not them. We will not share our GOLD!"

All Tommaso was heard to say was. "Yes my love. You’re right as always my love."

Even with all the preparation both militarily and politically the populace was not happy at the prospect of a long and costly war. Hoarding was reported and when found was severely punished. Of course the warehouses of Tommaso and Angela were filled and ready to supply the military and public with everything they needed. With a comfortable profit of course.

At first the war went against Venice when Hungary besieged Istria but this was countered when Venice started a siege of Steiermark and then of the capital, Austria. Hardly a month passed before Bohemia asked for a Status Quo peace. Venice graciously accepted. Tommaso and Angela sat in bed as they read over the peace agreement. While Tommaso signed the agreement Angela chortled.

"Ha! We are now in the process of separating the chaff from the wheat. I had 50 gold coins bet on Bohemia being the first to give up."

"A most wise bet my love. Who’s next do you think?"

"Either Luxembourg or those losers from Siebenburgen. I’m not sure which one will go first."

By June Luxembourgh had enough and another Status Quo peace was reached. Venice tried to reach an agreement with Hungary but they refused to even listen to our offer.

By January 1421 Ostmarch had been added to the list of Austrian province that were being besieged. Several battles had been fought against Austrian forces but the standing order from Tommaso was to retreat whenever possible. At Angela’s urging Venice put its hopes in besieging simultaneously as many of the provinces of Austria as it could. Austria’s supply lines were destroyed wherever possible causing a great deal of damage to its recruiting effort. However more and more Austrian troops returned from their war in the west against Helvetia and attacked Venetian forces with a vengeance.

Originally posted by Rictus

EDIT: (snuck in there) Good stuff by the way Storey. Interesting plan. I wouldn't have gone for Austria, but then, thats the bauety (eh?) of a multiplayer AAR.

I have to admit that the devil was whispering in my ear when I decided to go for Austria. :D I mean there I was sitting at the computer wondering what to do that would have a real impact of the future Doges of Venice. Conquer Manuta? Nah, standard stuff. Use the fleet to take some far off country? Nah too risky for little profit. Now if I succeed in taking a province from Austria that would stir things up! :D You can be sure that they will be back trying to take it back. They are going to be a factor in the at least near future of Venice. LD has a long reign and can use the brut force method and Annex Austria but that in itself causes complications for future Doges. Just my little way of trying to have a real influence on the future.;)

Joe
(The devil made me do it.)

Originally posted by Storey
The devil made me do it.

The devil went down to Venice
He was looking for a soul to steal
And he was in a bind
'Cause he was way behind
And was willin' to make a deal...

"And if you care to take a dare
I'll make a bet with you
Now you're a pretty good Doge Joe
But give the devil his due
I'll bet a province of gold against your soul
Cause I think I'm better than you."

The Doge said, "My name's Storey
And it might be a sin
But I'll take your bet, you're gonna regret
'Cause I'm the best that's ever been."

The devil opened up his case and he said,
"I'll start this war."
And fire flew from his fingertips
As Hungary sieged the Istrian shore
Thinking he'd clipped the Venetian wings
The devil made an evil hiss
Then a horde of demons joined in
Everything looked amiss

When the devil finished Storey said,
"Well you're pretty good ol' son!
But sit down in that chair right there
And let me show you how it's done!"

Off to Steiermark, run boys run
Caught the devil in the henhouse havin' fun
Left his troops way off in France
Hey look now he's got no pants

The devil bowed his head
Because he knew that he'd been beat,
And he laid that golden province
On the ground at Storey's feet
Storey said, "Devil, just come on back
if you ever wanna try again.
I done told you once,
You son-of-a-bitch,
I'm the best that's ever been!"

Last edited:
February 1421 proved to be the low point in the war for Venice as Hungary besieged Venice with 30,000 soldiers. This left Dalmatia as the only province on the continent where new troops could be recruited. The panic that was spreading through Venice with the speed of a spring flood surging through the Venetian canals was controlled by the quick action of Tommaso with some street smart advice from Angela.

"When you go to give a speech to calm down the unruly mobs you should talk softly and promise them anything. You should also have a large number of very big mean looking men stand behind you as you speak. The crowd in their infinite wisdom will put two and two together. Trust me they may not be too bright but they’re not stupid."

The populace of Venice calmed down rather quickly.

In March 1421 Venice agreed to pay Hungary 21 ducats for peace. Tommaso thought that Angela took the lost of ducats very well. In fact all she sneered was.

"You need to look beyond the end of your nose to realize great profits. Venice will get it all back from Austria."

The siege of the capital of Austria was finally successfully completed in October of 1421. The army there was split and sent to Tirol where it started a siege of the city and Ostmarch where it reinforced a siege.

In June 1422 Steiermark fell to the army of Venice while at the same time the entire Austrian army started a siege of their capital trying to recapture it. Venice sent its army from Steiermark to Salzburg to start a siege. Austria could now no longer recruit soldiers but they still had close to 22,000 men besieging their capital. By October Ostmarch fell to Venice. But in December Austria recaptured its capital. They then moved on to Steiermark and besieged it.

February 1423 and Tirol fell to Venice. Venice moved that army to Austria and started besieging the city once again.

In March Tommaso was worried when he learned that Austria and Helvetia had just signed a Status Quo peace agreement. Angela simply sniffed when hearing the news and said.

"Helvetia served its purpose. How many Austrians do you think died in those frozen mountains last winter?"

Throughout late March and early April running battles took place between Venice and Austria and it looked like this pattern would be repeated again and again when suddenly on April 5.... To be continued.

OO: LOL Backpack! I have one more segment to the story, which I will wait until Monday morning to post. This will give LD time to play his turn and start writing it. Hopefully the patch will be out for everyone by then!

Throughout late March and early April running battles took place between Venice and Austria and it looked like this pattern would be repeated again and again when suddenly on April 5 1423 Austria offered Venice, Tirol and Steiermark and 25 ducats for peace.

The two men sat in the last pew of the cathedral of San Pietro di Castello talking in hushed tones of the past few weeks. Their heads were close together so as to not interrupt the services that were being conducted. The first, a young man of fashionable dress by the name of Antonio smiled and said.

"Don’t get me wrong Giulio I don’t miss the irony of Tommaso’s death. I mean he was sitting there signing the agreement while sitting in bed with his wife when he had a heart attack and died within the hour in his wife’s arms, or maybe more accurately at her feet."

The two men chuckled. "To think of dying right at one’s moment of triumph is too delicious for words. And then there’s the grieving widow to consider."

The two men glanced up at the small mountain of a woman lovingly embraced in black lace who sat with her daughters, little mounds of sympathetic silhouettes to their mother, also shrouded in black in the front pew.

"I myself would almost be tempted to woo her since she is now one of the wealthiest widows in Venice. But something about her reminds me of a black widow spider that after having her appetite satisfied eats her mate. Some would say just like what happened to poor Tommaso."

Giulio and Antonio chuckled, which drew to them like flies to the dead the disapproving scowls from the pious sitting around them.

"I agree Antonio," whispered Giulio. "I would rather mount the Alps before trying to mount her." The two men chuckled and were again the recipients of venomous glares from the righteously indignant.

"But enough of that nonsense Antonio. Who do you think will take over as Doge?"

"Who indeed. I heard rumors that Tommaso with his dying breath said of Francesco Foscari, 'If you make him Doge, God forbid, you will shortly be at war; and whoever has 10,000 ducats, will find himself with only 1000.’ Can you believe it? The two men never got along but I didn’t realize there was that much bad blood between them."

Giulio and Antonio shook their heads before Giulio continued.

"Besides there’s never been a Doge as young as Foscarini. He can’t have reached 50 yet. I can’t believe the powers that be will entrust Venice to one so young."

The ceremony was ending and the grieving family started leaving the church. Most there had the sense that one of the great chapters in the history of Venice was ending and another starting. Antonio and Giulio followed the widow and daughters out of the church admiring the swaying of Angela’s hips. Hey, I didn’t say everyone was aware of the great changes taking place.

(OOC) Last comments: My goals were modest in that I wanted to capture Tirol and Steiermark to give Venice a buffer to the north and east as well as a GOLD mine. For those who are waiting to play I can assure you that it is a very fun experience! I found myself so caught up in playing my turn that I lost track of the in game time. So there I was just playing the game when April 5 1423 arrives and Austria offers me the provinces that I want. I agree smiling at the screen and hit the unpause key. Immediately another window pops up saying so and so it the new ruler of your nation. I think what the hell and hit the unpause key again. Four or five days pass before I realize that "Wait a minute that means my Doge has died!!!" What are the odds of a peace agreement and the death of a doge happening on the same day? I had to write that into the story. And last but not least I would like to apologize to the memory of Tommaso Mocenigo. What little I could find on him showed him to be an exceptional man who I reduced to a hen pecked husband. Me bad. ;)

Venice at the end of Doge Tommaso Mocenigo's reign - April 1423

april_1423.jpg

Good stuff, Storey, all the way through. It can't be easy being the first one out of the gate with 30 or so others chomping at the bit in line behind you, but you managed not to be utterly defeated (which is my own modest goal) or leave the next up in a hopeless position, so I'd call it a complete success. Nevermind that you took on and humbled mighty Austria as well. That part was just showing off.:)

And about your concern in depicting your doge other than he was in real life... I suspect this is not the last time that will happen. :)

EF1

Austria offered Venice, Tirol and Steiermark and 25 ducats for peace
So Austria offered us our own capital as part of the peace treaty? That was generous of them... ;)

Seriously though, good start there, which LD will no doubt build upon. I wouldn't be surprised if by the time my turn comes around I was trying to send troops over the border into Mecklemberg or turn east to Moscow...

Go B-Team!

Being the Dogeship of Francesco Foscari

April 1423: Venice

The ceremony ended and the grieving family began to leave the church. Most there had the sense that one of the great chapters in the history of Venice was ending, and another was starting. Antonio and Giulio followed the widow and daughters, admiring the swaying of Angela's hips.

Doge Francesco Foscari, newly elected, and surrounded by members of the Council of Ten, remarked, "Look at those two doddering old fools salivating at the sight of that woman's fat ass. Lord Thundering Jesus, it's wide enough to fill the doors of St. Mark's Cathedral, with no room to spare."

"Some men would find it rather attractive, Doge Foscari."

"And some men like mating with goats."

Several of the councilors stared sheepishly at the floor, shuffling their feet.

"Anyway, the old fart's where he should be. Let's return to my office and see exactly what we've been left with."

The Council of Ten gathered around him like a swarm of bees. A thin, rakish man with a pinched face said, "It is readily apparent the former Doge did our country great service, Doge Foscari, for do we not control Tirol and Steiermark and its vast gold deposits?"

Foscari waved his hand dismissively, "Yes, yes, yes. I'll give the old walking prune that much."

Another of the Council members, a short, round man with a corpulent face opined, "Rumour has it that Mocenigo's wife was the decision maker during his tenure in office."

Foscari stopped, causing the Council to trip and stumble over themselves in an effort to avoid colliding with the Doge. They followed his gaze to the widow, waddling down the cobbled street, surrounded by her daughters, like a hen leading chicks. Mothers were taking their children off the street for their own safety. Foscari shivered at the sight. "She could very well have been calling the shots, but I know one thing for sure."

"What's that?" they all asked in unison.

"He wanted to die."

My name is Guiseppe Calabrese, personal secretary and duly appointed scribe to Doge Francesco Foscari. My own story is of no consequence in the greater tale and exploits of Venice... well, actually it is kind of fascinating, but the Council of Ten tends to proof read this stuff. Anyway, when Foscari was elected, against the wishes of Tommaso Mocenigo, I might add, a great peace settlement had most recently been ratified between our country and Austria. The terms were much in our favour, having received the territories of Tirol and Steiermark. Furthermore, it served to pre-empt the rather aggressive Habsburg posture that had loomed over our collective heads for years.

Our first order of business was to assess the state of the State, so to speak. The treasury held 161,000 ducats, and Venetian merchants abroad retained predominant positions in the Venice and Ligurian Centers of Trade (5m), while a minor branch had set up shop in Alexandria (2m). Though the former Doge had several daughters, no Marriages of State had ever been arranged among the other countries of Europe. Mind you, the resident diplomats had all met the daughters at one time or another... but I digress. Additionally, Venice was a lone rock in the sea of diplomacy, as she was bereft of alliances.

It was already understood that Colonel Casanova, a real ladies man from what court gossips whispered, was enroute to Steiermark from Austria with the balance of the Venetian army of conquest, numbering some 16,200 cavalry.

So, in the month of June, the first major order of business from Doge Foscari came about. It was to send Colonel Donato Corleone and the Army of Istria, consisting of 14,000 cavalry, north to Tirol.

By the month of September the people of Venice had settled into stability, no doubt forgetting what they had been upset about in the first place. (Stab +3). It was followed by the gracious news that our Mercantile expedition to Portugal had met with success, allowing the establishment of a presence in the Tago Centre of Trade for the first time. (1m)

In November The Doge, the Council of Ten, and the Merchants Guild signed Trade Agreements with Portugal and Genoa. This ended Foscari's first year of rule.

At the start of January, 1424, the State Treasurer reported a balance of 209,000 ducats. Keen on increasing basic revenues and their methods of collection, Doge Foscari authorised Bailiffs in Istria and Dalmatia.

The year progressed rather uneventfully, pleasantly interrupted with news in August that we had increased the Venetian presence in the Tago Centre of Trade. (2m)

However, the balance of the year was not without incident. On November 1, 8,000 rebels rose to arms in Steiermark. Happily, the pitchforks of revolt were rather short-lived, and a week later Colonel Casanova cornered and exterminated the vermin to a man.

During the same month it was reported from reliable sources that a sizable English army had landed in Mantua, laying siege to its capital. I should mention at this time that England, Burgundy and Aragon were embroiled in a war against Mantua, Naples, Albania and the Papal States. The war was now literally on the Venetian doorstep, and in January of 1425, an opportunity of the highest order presented itself...

Nice start LD. Seems like you really enjoy letting loose in these projects. :D

Now I wonder what sort of opportunity presented itself...hmmm...perhaps you've just gotten a leader who can steal some sieges? ;)

Nah, he just accidently annexed England :D

Storey: a wonderful, entertaining finish! :) And good start, LD. I hope we get to see more of Foscari himself, he seems like such a pleasant fellow...