• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

StephenT

OT iconoclast
89 Badges
Mar 10, 2001
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Sengoku
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities in Motion
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
1914: Events

This appears to be the one thread subject missing from the 1914 mod line-up. :)

I realise that most of the events we have in TGW can probably be ported over unchanged. However, some of the new commands in HoI2 might allow us to rewrite them to be more elegant.

For example, the new trigger division_in_province = { id = { type = [id type] id = [id id] } province = X } can be used to see if the battlecruiser SMS Goeben has reached the Constantinople province - you'd almost think this code had been added to the game specifically for this situation. :)

On the other hand, some commands may no longer work in HoI2, and will need rewriting.

So, use this thread to discuss these matters and report what changes are needed...

I'll start...

I was looking through the commands file, and noticed some changes to the add units commands - these will affect how we write our mobilisation events, and may affect the OOBs too.

At the moment, the mobilisation events in TGW are written like this:

action_a = { name = "To arms!"
command = { type = add_division which = motorized when = 2078 }
command = { type = add_division which = motorized when = 128 }
}

If I understand the syntax correctly (and this hasn't been tested at all!) we'd have to rewrite this in 1914 as follows:

action_a = { name = "To arms!"
command = { type = add_corps which = "A.N.Z.A.C." value = land where = 2078 }
command = { type = add_division which = "1st Australian Division" value = motorized when = 0 }
command = { type = add_corps which = "Canadian Corps" value = land where = 128 }
command = { type = add_division which = "1st Canadian Division" value = motorized when = 0 }
}

On the plus side, we can actually state the names of the units as they appear. (And specify the commander of the unit as well - I'm not sure what happens if he's already assigned to a different unit). I assume the division will be assigned to the corps in the line above it - rather than needing a separate event per corps.

Alternatively, we could write the mobilising divisions directly into the OOB in the country.inc file, with the dormant = yes tag, and use the activate_division event command instead.

Doing it this way would allow us to specify whether, if the unit's home province had been captured by the enemy already, it would go to the force pool, or just be lost. Also, it would allow us to specify the starting strength of the unit (so, for example, starting it on 25 strength so it has to spend time and manpower reorganising before being ready for combat). On the other hand, it would mean extra work rewriting the OOBs.

Thoughts?

StephenT said:
For example, the new trigger division_in_province = { id = { type = [id type] id = [id id] } province = X } can be used to see if the battlecruiser SMS Goeben has reached the Constantinople province - you'd almost think this code had been added to the game specifically for this situation. :)

I would not use this command for modelling the Goeben and Breslau's escape, however. The chances of the German AI sending these vessels to Turkey are nil.

On the other hand, the 'activate_division' command looks more promising for this scenario. :) The ships are kept dormant in the German OOB; they are activated in Constantinople (or a neighbouring sea zone) by event, should the German player choose to activate them. If not, they are activated at Pola some time later.

StephenT said:
So, use this thread to discuss these matters and report what changes are needed...

It is somewhat hard to imagine what events need changing without looking at them. I think that the best way to go about this is if we divide the event files up for review by individual members, who would then post their ideas in the relevant thread, i.e. 'British Events', 'German Events' and so on.

StephenT said:
Alternatively, we could write the mobilising divisions directly into the OOB in the country.inc file, with the dormant = yes tag, and use the activate_division event command instead.

Doing it this way would allow us to specify whether, if the unit's home province had been captured by the enemy already, it would go to the force pool, or just be lost. Also, it would allow us to specify the starting strength of the unit (so, for example, starting it on 25 strength so it has to spend time and manpower reorganising before being ready for combat). On the other hand, it would mean extra work rewriting the OOBs.

I would favour this method, as I know it to work effectively. It can also deal with the possibility of military districts being overrun and their civil populations placed under military law before they are mobilised (I imagine that this would be a bit of rare occurrence, though)

How about this for an idea?

An AI event at the very beginning of the game uses the 'lock_division' command to ensure that German High Seas Fleet cannot move. At a random time between mid-1915 and late-1916, for example, the 'unlock_division' command is used to allow it to move, and therefore make a sortie into the North Sea.

Allenby, is here a 'lock division' command too?

If so, we can simulate the engine problems of the SMS Königsberg which forced her to remain in the Rufiji delta.

Zuckergußgebäck said:
Allenby, is here a 'lock division' command too?

Allenby said:
An AI event at the very beginning of the game uses the 'lock_division' command to ensure that German High Seas Fleet cannot move.

Zuckergußgebäck said:
If so, we can simulate the engine problems of the SMS Königsberg which forced her to remain in the Rufiji delta.

That might be a bit more difficult when you consider that Königsberg sunk several British ships before retiring to the Rufiji delta. :)

It seems like a bit of a blunt instrument to restrict the Hochseeflotte to port by event, although as an AI-only event I could live with it. However, does the HoI2 AI still send its entire fleet out to sea to be destroyed in the first week of the war? If the naval AI is better than in the original game, there might not be a need for such a change.

If we do include such an event, it should only apply to the battlesquadrons, not the battlecruisers and lighter ships - they quite often ventured out into the North Sea.

StephenT said:
It seems like a bit of a blunt instrument to restrict the Hochseeflotte to port by event, although as an AI-only event I could live with it. However, does the HoI2 AI still send its entire fleet out to sea to be destroyed in the first week of the war? If the naval AI is better than in the original game, there might not be a need for such a change.

The naval AI isn't much better - it's why I posted this suggestion. :)

StephenT said:
If we do include such an event, it should only apply to the battlesquadrons, not the battlecruisers and lighter ships - they quite often ventured out into the North Sea.

It should apply to the scouting squadrons too, but they should be given freedom of movement earlier than the bulk of the Hochseeflotte.

Even then, we have something of a problem, because as early as the Scarborough Raid in December 1914, the Hochseeflotte ventured out into the High Seas Fleet in support of Hipper and nearly confronted Beatty...

I suspect some AI events might have to be written that periodically freeze and unfreeze the ships of the German Navy. :)

Although we don't want to freeze units thata are out to sea so to speak.

In order to make our events suitable for HOI II, they will need to be converted. :)

It is my opinion that this is best done by giving responsibility over certain files to various people who will look through them and change them where they think it is necessary. I expect that there will be considerable overlap in many of the event chains - these can probably be dealt with case by case.

I'll take Britain, the Ottoman Empire, Persia and the other Middle Eastern and North African entities.

Who will take the United States, Germany, Russia and so on?

Also, delete any references to defeat events, peace treaties and the like in trigger conditions and commands. They are to be either removed or completely overhauled. :)

Excellent Historical Events Source

You guys might want to look into getting hold of an excellent historical events source that I came across several years ago while researching The Great War. It is an excellent source, containing important historical events day by day (for every day) of the war, and organized by Western Front, Eastern Frotn, Southern Front, Asiatic & Egyptian Theatres, Naval and Overseas Operations, and Political & Such.

It also includes a resume of main events for each year, as well as appendixes to locate events by name, location, or political figure, and last, plenty of appendices with additional historical detail on the major events.

Take a look, the details on the book are below --

CHRONOLOGY OF THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918
Edited by Loard Edward Gleichen
ISBN: 1-85367-428-1
US Publisher is Stackpole Books, 5067 Ritter Road, Mechanicsburg, PA, 17055

Publishing History from inside flap:

Chronology of the Great War was originally published as Chronology of the War and was issue in three volumes: Volume I, 1914-1915 was published in 1918; Volume II, 1916-1917 was published in 1919; and Volume III, 1918-1919 appeared in 1920 (all Constable, London). In 1988 the three volumes were brought together and published by Greenhill Books, retaining however, the original, pagination. Now the first Greenhill edition is reproduced complete and unabridge, in paperback.

Many thanks. :)

We do, however, have all major events completed, and just need to convert them from HOI format to HOI II format.

No doubt that I'll look at some of those works for anything obscure, if need be.

It is possible that my brains are not working. How the hell could I 'test' these events when the mod for HoI 2 isn't ready and obviously events for HoI 2 don't work in HoI 1.

Too much coffee.

I shall start with USA for now.

Converted most of them, however three problems:
1. I changed all warentry to belligerence, I do not know if the values should stay as same though...or even if ti works that way.

2. Vera cruz has been divided to multiple provinces, I think. Which one to use for the mexico event?

3. I went through the event commands.txt and found no way to increase or decrease manpower in a province.

Yes thank you, I'm well. And yourself? :)

As far as I know belligerence is how likely other countries are to declare war on you, so it's not appropriate for War Entry. Instead, TGW events that increase War Entry should now move the Interventionism slider. I believe that the command is { type = domestic which = interventionism value = x } although I'm not sure if x needs to be positive or negative - we'll need to experiment. (I'm guessing positive).

Vera Cruz is now province 753, Puebla.

If they've removed the event command to adjust a province's manpower, that will really screw up the game for the USA - say hello to 500-division armies by 1917 again. :mad: Perhaps we can tweak the consumer goods requirement instead?

That and we can keep the limiting factor on the US's IC that HOI 2 already has. Although we could make it harsher (i.e have the 'peace' factor limit the total number of useable IC's even smaller than given now) to further limit the US's ability to produce huge numbers of divisions, and pay for research.