Events should take current conditions into account

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

giovdb

General
63 Badges
Sep 2, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
I'm Carthage. Rome just declared war. This is a DEFENSIVE war against one of the strongest empire in the world. My soldiers want to discuss their retirement. WTF???

Things like this ruin the immersion for me. This would never happen on the beginning of a defensive war. Ever. People should be rallying and wanting to fight to defend their homeland. So frustrated with things like this. Kinda ruin the experience. Especially when neither option makes sense. Why can't I just give them land? Or promise to give them land after we win the war?

2021_11_09_1.png

Reactions:
The events do take different things into consideration, but one can always argue that they could be better written. It's often hard to foresee all possible situations while setting triggers for such events.

To prevent this event from triggering during war would be very easy. This only requires a short single line of code in the trigger section, but then at the same time isn't that possible that soldiers may want to retire even when their country is at war? It certainly is and one could easily quote some examples from history to support this.

I guess you are just particularly unlucky that the event triggered for you at the start of the war that is especially significant.

There is also a third option for this event where you give land to the veterans, though I can't remember now what are conditions for it to be valid.

Reactions:
The events do take different things into consideration, but one can always argue that they could be better written. It's often hard to foresee all possible situations while setting triggers for such events.

To prevent this event from triggering during war would be very easy. This only requires a short single line of code in the trigger section, but then at the same time isn't that possible that soldiers may want to retire even when their country is at war? It certainly is and one could easily quote some examples from history to support this.

I guess you are just particularly unlucky that the event triggered for you at the start of the war that is especially significant.

There is also a third option for this event where you give land to the veterans, though I can't remember now what are conditions for it to be valid.
you need to have land already. that is one trigger I know lol

Or more likely this is before the ages of holy wars and nationalism which is covered in other Paradox titles. I don't at all find it odd that the soldiers would be concerned about not spending lives fighting for the state and then have the government screw them over afterwards.

Reactions:
As olivenkranz notes, this is one of two related events - one that gives territories the "state-owned farmland" modifier (not totally confident on the term), and then this one, which allows you to cash those in to satisfy veterans, or otherwise take a hit. The only real problem with that system is that there is no way to gain land outside the events (e.g. by conquering and allotting new land, a common practice). It's one point on the list of "is an event, but could have become a system."

In addition to the above points, seasonal campaigning was a standard feature of wars in this period (levies are a sort of approximation of this). Keeping troops in the field and satisfying them for their service was a major cost of war that wasn't just covered by a salary. As Gurkhal says, nationalism and the drive to "defend their homeland" are generally pretty ahistorical. There are certainly exceptions (see the language about defending Athens and its liberties ~200 years before game start, which modern nationalism borrows from regularly), but even then there's a significant difference between "seasonal military service is a civic obligation" and "FIGHT TO THE LAST TO PRESERVE YOUR WAY OF LIFE!"

Reactions: