• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(2456)

Pure Evil Genius
Mar 29, 2001
www.hero6.com
We should start work on a system to reserve the various ids soon...right now i'm unclear what Ids i can use for certain areas and it will only get more difficult the longer we wait.

yes, another sound thread Jinnai. :D

I've had success playing with leader files in the upper upper ranges 19984-20000.

Correct me if 'm wrong, but monarch IDs and leader IDs aren't shared either, I believe. Most probably knew that though.

the EEP forum has a list of IDs, we should import them to a formal thread on agc-eep perhaps, and work from there. Was there anything similar to EEP's list in AGC?

If you mean that a monarch and a leader that have the same ID will result in a conflict that blocks one of them, you are right. Leader range is till 200.000 and monarchs only till 20.000, so no future leaders should get ID:s under 20.000, to reduce the chance of conflicts.

Norrefeldt said:
If you mean that a monarch and a leader that have the same ID will result in a conflict that blocks one of them, you are right. Leader range is till 200.000 and monarchs only till 20.000, so no future leaders should get ID:s under 20.000, to reduce the chance of conflicts.
Are you sure about that? For both leaders and monarchs, Havard says that ID maximum is 20000 with IDs below 15000 reserved by Paradox.
http://home.broadpark.no/~havmoe/EU/scenario_leader.htm
http://home.broadpark.no/~havmoe/EU/scenario_monarch.htm

Aha. Great to see that cleared up. Havard needs to update his site! :eek:o

Major sections...FE France and England would have seperate files, but alll of Africa, save northern Africa could be lumped in one area.

We could go by nation, but how many events would Zimbobwe really need?

Hmm.. we have to make all future work run smoothly.
Why not one file one country? Isn't that the easiest way when you are trying to find bugs? An event that is not correct can sometimes stop all parsing of the events after it in that same file, so the files shouldn't be to big. Why not 1000 numbers per nation, and the same for some special sequences? It has the advantage that it is easy to tell what nation owns what range, and a lot of EEP-events are already numbered by this system. AGC also had a system, but not as many events were put into it.
Even if Zimbabwe never use their range, so what, we will never be short of event ID:s!

Hmmm...is 1000 okay? It seems reasonable (except for random events), but i'd like some other input.

Also we'd need to know what all the major event sequences would be that they would require their own range (FE i know throne of China might as well as hundred years war...i'm sure there are other obvious ones, its just late here).

Special ranges are OK, it's easier to script like that. But it's easier to monitor with nation ID ranges.
For leaders I suggest at least 100 numbers each, but it could be 1000 as well, we do have 200.000 in the range. There was no good system implemented in EEP nor in AGC, so that needs to be done.

We have a maximum potential of 231 nations so 1000 would be too much

We can do a max of 779 per nation, but 779 is such an odd number to go by :) so either 700/750/775 (if we want to go with the max number reasonably divisable between each) for every nation or we can go with the number 500 which is much more easily divisable.

For monarchs 86 is the maximum (as 20 000 max for monarchs and after that is leaders)...i think 85 would be best for this for simplicity.

And no matter what, each will be the same as ranges will be based on tags, not nations in case nations are moved/dropped/added.

The last point is impotant as it affects events moreso.

Jinnai said:
We have a maximum potential of 231 nations so 1000 would be too much

We can do a max of 779 per nation, but 779 is such an odd number to go by :) so either 700/750/775 (if we want to go with the max number reasonably divisable between each) for every nation or we can go with the number 500 which is much more easily divisable.

For monarchs 86 is the maximum (as 20 000 max for monarchs and after that is leaders)...i think 85 would be best for this for simplicity.

And no matter what, each will be the same as ranges will be based on tags, not nations in case nations are moved/dropped/added.

The last point is impotant as it affects events moreso.
Sounds good, the only change that I think should be considered is in regards to the monarch ids (e.g. take a look at the GEN and ITA monarch files). I would suggest a lower default number (perhaps 40?). This would leave us a pool from which we can draw additional ids. If you want to keep nations in numbered sequence, all I can suggest is that some nations have more ids than others. Whatever is done, I doubt it will be perfect. Somebody...somewhere is going to want to add an alternate line of monarchs to the most unlikely nation. :eek:

Norrefeldt said:
500 for leaders sounds fine. Even if we let the monarchs range to 80/tag, we would have 1520 extra ID:s for those special nations, and almost all nations can get by on 80, so we would very rarely have to use those extra.
Your right (I should have known someone would do the math. :p ), only two monarch files exceed 80. The remaining 1,520 ids should be enough, or as Bill Gates once said, "Who will ever need more than 64K of RAM".

The sooner a system is implemented, the fewer events will have to be renumbered. I suggested it should have been set up at the very start, but that suggestion was put down with the reason "no new events will be added". New events were added, I don't know what ranges they used though...