• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Zuckergußgebäck said:
Thanks for the manual, there is a command: new event, that brings up a thing where you can type in everything about the event, and it will be automaticly scripted, but there is no place to write the effects of differnet commands for exemple, and what is actually needed for the event to work (dates are already in, but "control province XXX for the event to fire").

I gues no-one understands this either...

I was going to say something about that, but you said it before I could =p

This is some very nice work you have done here :)

The Yes/No/Cancel thing is in German btw.

masternick201 said:
I was going to say something about that, but you said it before I could =p

This is some very nice work you have done here :)

The Yes/No/Cancel thing is in German btw.

Really? This is unexpected. I thought it would be in the same language your windows is in. Looks like I really have to take a look into the language options first.

I have looked into the translation issue, and found that Delphi seems to offer a quite comfortable solution. I haven't found any way to tell Delphi to simply compile in english though. But translating the Error messages and Buttons by hand isn't a big effort.
Well, apart from the whole translating thing not really working. It's really strange, I managed to get through the process easily and verfied the result, but when I tried to zip the file for a new download I recognized, that I couldn't. As soon as I copy the new complete english version anywhere else it's german again. I tried around moving all kinds of files from the output and input of the compiler changes path preferences but nothing worked.
I also tried to find some book on Delphi covering this feature, but again, no success, and internet search didn't turn up anything either. So I am pretty much lost at the moment, and definetly need some help here.

Some good new on the language issue. I figured out how to use Windows API for Message Windows and Error Messages, that means, that your window will determine the language those texts are displayed in.
The only downside so far seems to be, that I have not figured out how to use this with the automatically generated Error Messages.
Anyway, I uploaded a new Build which fixes the Message Boxes. The file is even slightly smaller now.

I'd like to discuss a new idea, that I had while thinking about handling triggers and actions:

What do you think about a kind of wizard to guide through the whole process of making an event with explanations on the possibilities and their effects?

Ilkhold said:
I'd like to discuss a new idea, that I had while thinking about handling triggers and actions:

What do you think about a kind of wizard to guide through the whole process of making an event with explanations on the possibilities and their effects?

I think that takes away a lot of the learning process, I see your event editor as a tool for learning how to script events, without having to worry about extremely correct spelling and such...

But then, for the extreme n00bs to event scripting, it would be a great idea.

Zuckergußgebäck said:
I see your event editor as a tool for learning how to script events, without having to worry about extremely correct spelling and such...
Interesting point of view. Fits my ideas very well. I thought of giving an extensive stepwise tutorial with the wizard, so that it would really be helpful for learning how to script events.
But at the moment I just keep that in mind, it is definetly not going to be in the next (0.3) release. There is enough other stuff to include, and which I am already working on.

One thing I want to do is to offer the possibility to jump to a triggering event, that is any event that triggers the event I am currently at. (Mithel asked for this early on.)
The process would be like this:
1) Initial user action
2) Search all events for triggering ones
3) Output List
4) Open event selected from list

The problem I have now, is what inital user action to start I should require. Any suggestions? I have a few ideas of my own, but I am not very comfortable with them, and want to hear yours first, to not push your thoughts into one direction.

I do not really understand with what you mean with "The problem I have now, is what inital user action to start I should require"

Please explain...

Thanks for the hint. I didn't thought of using the function keys. Stupid me.

I'd probably go with your 'best case' as it is quite simple to do. Just go up line after line and search for 'id = XXX'.
The only problem I see now, is that there is a difference between mouse pointer position and cursor position. The user might not notice the difference and get confused about an unexpected result.
It would also be possible to use the mouse pointer position for this, because I can easily get the correct line from it. (I use the same method to place the links exactly over the text.)

What do you think?