Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations expansion– Developer diary 1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Most decision become policies you unlock by completing a whole idea group. You can turn on and off if you want. And they cost monthly monarch points to keep active.
I really hope they don't do that. As someone else pointed out, lower tech groups are completely screwed by this.

First of all it's harder for them to fill idea groups.
Secondly they really cannot waste monarch points every month.

I know that their design focus is around Europe, but come on. You don't need to beat the others while they're down. Just try to not push the others even lower with new decisions. I think that's fair to ask.

I hope they don't do that. As someone else pointed out, lower tech groups are completely screwed by this.

Nobody can waste monarch points on policies unless paradox increases the default monarch points from 3 to lets say 5 per month.

To be honest, said policies applied to the military field would be way better than UNIs for Prussia, Sweden and so on. Give them a flavored version (and generic versions to the other nations) and you are good to go: until they have a 5/6 MIL monarch all is well, when they don't the military degrades (policies are deactivated).

I really hope they don't do that. As someone else pointed out, lower tech groups are completely screwed by this.

I know that their design focus is around Europe, but come on. You don't need to beat the others while they're down. Just try to not push the others even lower with new decisions. I think that's fair to ask.

I just hope that the devs will realise from the multiplayer sessions that nobody will use them, and that having them cost MP effectively invalidates them, as a mechanic. After all, that's what they said the multiplayer sessions were for - discovering the player mentality behind the game.

Trade needs a major overhaul indeed.

What I want to see is strategical control of essential military goods. For example:

1- Increase all units cost across the board.
2- trade power would decrease costs. For example, got trade power in a node full of Naval Supplies? Ship costs would decrease. Copper? Cheaper ships and above all artillery.
3- Trade agreements would also be nice.

Suddenly Trade NI group would become MUCH more viable.

Are there going to be changes that makes money a valuable resource, so that it actually makes sense to want to make more money constantly?

Currently, you reach a point where you can't even spend your money anymore

Rather than a monthly MP upkeep cost for policies, they should have a simple MP cost for enacting or cancelling a policy. A monthly cost ensures that nobody will use any policy longer than they have to. People will pretty much only use military ones, and pretty much only while at war. If the idea behind a monthly upkeep cost is that you don't want people to click-it-and-forget-it like most decisions currently are, then it would be better to just add tangible gameplay penalties to each policy. An aggressive trade policy could lower diplomatic reputation, for instance. Might be good in some circumstances, but there are plenty of occasions when it would hurt you. If you wanted to cancel it though, you'd have to spend monarch points, and if you wanted it back, you'd have to spend more. You would be discouraged from just flipping them on and off at a whim, but you'd have incentive to change it every once in a while.

Also as I suggested before; Give them a monthly Ducat cost.

Are there going to be changes that makes money a valuable resource, so that it actually makes sense to want to make more money constantly?

Ask the multiplayer crowd if Money is indeed that useless a resource. Not criticizing what you said - just that to say a thing is useless, you have to analyze it when players with similar skill are playing, not human vs AI.

Ask the multiplayer crowd if Money is indeed that useless a resource. Not criticizing what you said - just that to say a thing is useless, you have to analyze it when players with similar skill are playing, not human vs AI.
Well, as one who plays MP on a regular basis, I'd would rather spend money than Monarch points for sure. Yes, in the early game money is a bit scarce, but in middle-late game is very abundant, plus if you happen to not have enough in a war, you can always take loans. But unfortunately you cannot borrow power points. Also, the problem of monarch points abundance is only there if you have really good monarchs and few provinces to build stuff on. Hell, as of the stream, ahead of time penalty is only +5% per year now, so just invest in tech if you have got so many. Now, also tech cost increase over time is also draining many more points than before, so I don't see the issue with too many points.

The con of using money as payment is that adds to snow-balling and strengthens big countries, while the con of monarch points is that it is too much luck-dependent and would basically be a western-only mechanic.
EDIT: got an idea to solve this issue, what if policy enactment costs scaled on monarch stats and country size? So if the ruler is 3 you pay base cost, with like 0 giving +75% cost and a 6 -75% cost. Also cost would scale depending on number of ships/brigades/provinces or more simply base tax.

Trade needs a major overhaul indeed.

What I want to see is strategical control of essential military goods. For example:

1- Increase all units cost across the board.
2- trade power would decrease costs. For example, got trade power in a node full of Naval Supplies? Ship costs would decrease. Copper? Cheaper ships and above all artillery.
3- Trade agreements would also be nice.

Suddenly Trade NI group would become MUCH more viable.
Maybe reduce costs by your trade share of the good divided by like 2. So if you control 20% iron, your artillery costs 10% less. Nice idea actually, and would stimulate trade hugely.

Last edited:

Which would make sense, if EU4 was not primarily an SP game. Even using not entirely clear methods to calculate the percentage of MP players, the number barely got to one third of the games.

I hope that not everything is going to be walled behind having merchants. I'm already pretty unhappy about not being able to direct trade without them as a land power.

Have you tried filling all your provinces with all buildings and creating massive fleets and armies?

Other interesting possible solutions would be:

- Current system (monarch points per month upkeep)
- Alternate costs systems (prestige, ducats, Legitimacy, etc)
- Ruler stats allow for x amount of certain policies to be enacted depending on how high they are (say total stats divided by two: 3.6.2. ruler allows for 5 policies, 6.6.6. ruler gets 9 policies, 0.0.0 ruler gets none)
- Nation tech allows for certain number of policies to be enacted (You've unlocked 20 or something but tech allows for 3)
- Have an arbitrary cap regardless of how many you've unlocked (4 tops per nation)
- ???

But who am I kidding, we're going to get the current system.

I'd wondered when we were going to see the first of these. These regular DDs in the weeks leading up to the release are one of the things I like best about Paradox and they really help to build a sense of anticipation.

Nobody can waste monarch points on policies unless paradox increases the default monarch points from 3 to lets say 5 per month.
Well it might be good as a monarch dump when trying to get far enough behind to westernize. Buildings and converting culture are probably better, I don't know what the policies provide right now though, I'd guess things like +10% trade income and such.

EDIT: meant to edit this into my last post, I probably should go to bed.

when did the dev diary come out? I didn't see it on the front page, thought they decided against the expansion!
It looks like they're goin to add a lot of good stuff, I like it already!

I still think MP is the wrong way to balance the game.

Hopefully we will get to have something to do between wars anyway.