Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 9: Policies & Ideas & More

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well to be honest I`ve got a mixed feelings about the Policies implementation. The idea behind it is great, situational option to further specialize your country ... but I don`t dig the -1 monarch point monthly cost. If you consider the randomness of monarch stats I start to scratch my head if they really thought it through completly. I understand that to unlock a single policy you need to have unlocked 2 whole Idea groups, so mostly ideas will be a mid to late game feature and at that moment most players will have their empires developed to the point they will be able to recruit appriopriate advisors (+3) to sustain this mp drian. .... But what about other Tech groups, besides Western, Eastern, Ottoman - this a further nail in the cofin for any country not from this group - ok, maybe I exagerate, those Policies aren`t overpowered but it`s a shame that Rest of The World gets less options even more.

Great changes in Ideas. Like almost everyone.

Ryukyu
Chinese Investiture - 25% Less AE Impact

Nation with best AE reduction that has a sweet achievement to unlock..... I wonder :)

Hungary
Traditions - Lost +100% Enemy Core Creation, gained +20% Cavalry Power

Omg, poor Hungary, everyone better say goodbye to the poor guys! Eastern Europe will look waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy diffrent from now on.

I wonder, Poland Ideas aren`t on the list .... so .... Ekhm, upgrade from on of the best to the straight top?

You my good sir, did not check the actual effect of the policy (it's 0.1 yearly reduction ;) )

Thanks, you've just saved my grammy ;) Looks bad indeed as it's much worse than the button pressing in terms of MP.

Natives should take economic anyway (lots of mono/accepted culture to get 100% benefit from buildings post-westernization or as tribal gov't), and sub-Saharan has way more inflation problems than Aztec, as they get the gold providing full inflation immediately if in/near Mali, Kilwa, or Ethiopia and have longer to wait with big inflation until they get to a mitigating factor. Gold is worth it anyway though; just buy a +2 advisor sooner and buy it down here and there.

Eh, I've never stated gold isn't worth it; if anything, I always actively try to conquer some more no matter what my actual monthly inflation increase is. Decrease in build cost isn't that attractive to me as it's still 10 MP per building and as you will already lag behind in tech for a while, you probably wouldn't spend too much MP in buildings either (even more as by the time you've westernized, you might already own quite a hudge empire, ie only spamming buildings would really make a difference in terms of income).

I like the removal of Hungry's coring cost. I am assuming the Berbers retain theirs.

I am really interested in seeing how privateers work and when you will use them. Are they used when you are super advanced in a node or way behind? How much trade do they steal?

Are the policies togglable (sp) or do you select them and they stay on for a time? If they are togglable and you are having to deal with 4 at a time, it seems like quite a bit of micro. It does add to the internal decisions for nations though which is nice.

I feel like Sweden just received a buff again. All of the other nations changed from production efficiency to half the value in goods produced. Sweden just transferred it over. They lost 2.5% more than half of their discipline value but they also gained 5% infantry combat. They still have all of their events as well. I wonder if the discipline gained in them was halved.

Were privateers heavily used in the dev game?

Do you expect for nations with behind tech groups to try and pursue tech or to use policies? I suppose this has to do a lot with if you can toggle them on and off. Even if i were behind I would toggle on the discipline option for 1 month as I go into a battle.

I wonder, Poland Ideas aren`t on the list .... so .... Ekhm, upgrade from on of the best to the straight top?
Poland's 10% discipline likely got cut in half. It's production efficiency and morale might have also been reduced (unless Paradox reverted all the morale cuts that were shown in multiplayer).
I suppose this has to do a lot with if you can toggle them on and off. Even if i were behind I would toggle on the discipline option for 1 month as I go into a battle.
It was stated that you need a policy active for 10 years before you can toggle it off.

Thanks, you've just saved my grammy ;) Looks bad indeed as it's much worse than the button pressing in terms of MP.

Eh, I've never stated gold isn't worth it; if anything, I always actively try to conquer some more no matter what my actual monthly inflation increase is. Decrease in build cost isn't that attractive to me as it's still 10 MP per building and as you will already lag behind in tech for a while, you probably wouldn't spend too much MP in buildings either (even more as by the time you've westernized, you might already own quite a hudge empire, ie only spamming buildings would really make a difference in terms of income).

The build cost is amazing. You can create a large income cycle much faster, and the top candidate in every way is manufactories, which benefit the most from the idea. Goods produced in primary culture directly increases your manpower alongside the increases to both trade and production income. Toss some of these in rich Caribbean provinces or on ivory and watch what happens...but in rich provinces even grain is okay.

However, it carries additional benefit as time wears on. You can easily add 30k manpower for less than the cost of a tech, get a discount on all the expensive special buildings, and improve army/naval FL in addition to gaining even more income.

Econ also strengthens loans and directly adds through the production idea, in addition to the extra advisor slot. By far the most important is the manufactories though. Natives get large numbers of relatively poor provinces, but manufactories are a big boost. Without quantity ideas, you can have Africa giving you ~400k manpower and a force limit over 300 and still get to miltech 32 easily end-game, and you can do this in spite of taking ideas. But it costs money. Lots of money potentially.

I'm not sure I understand why they are buffing the diplomatic idea set. It's already a no-brainer choice for land-locked nations and they're moving one of its two big competitors to admin. I'd think they would buff some of the others or nerf it to make it less of an obvious choice not buff it...

Actually what I don't like about this nerfbat/patch/DLC is that militaristic nations are less effective while trade/economic nations are more effective than ever. Eventually it will be about who fields the larger army or can pay infinite amounts of mercenaries. Muscovy/Russia was the perfect example of a nation that could militarily dominate the game through sheer numbers and now it seems that this is a best military strategy, outclassing by far the high-quality, but smaller, Brandenburg/Prussian army or gameplay style.

I really don't know if this is going to work as intended, because now non-militaristic countries can make a good stand against militaristic ones (which is nice), but I don't think that militaristic countries can expect to make a stand in trade disputes or sheer economic power against non-militaristic countries. As a warmonger, I have a bad feeling about this.

With the Policies in game, you really ought to remove the BS -1 MP malus from Chinese tech groups :|

Hmm I am not sure how that makes sense lore wise but, I kinda like it from a gameplay perspective. It means that they will actually be used in these nations.

Midas

Last edited:
Its slowing you down.
:p

It's funny when you push your resources outside of your comfort zone how many things you find just aren't as important as you thought they were. Before this run I thought 3% was bad and 6% was end of the world. Now I see the bigger hit to my economy is revolt risk lowering taxes (-4% per point hurts) and the fact that I passed on a lot of diplo and admin techs so they're not up to par. Overall I'm running -50 to -100 (I saw -189 one month while reinforcing after a big battle) and I just sort of shrug it off and take another 1400 ducat loan each year. I wouldn't recommend ignoring inflation especially early in the game, but I won't be as concerned about it in the future.