Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 9: Policies & Ideas & More

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
but you have to first invest 8000 points, 4000 of them in MIL for quality. then you have to turn on -1 MP whenever you're in a fight if you want that. I might do it for that, but I'm probably not going to use it for anything else. I don't think A_SPEC ever showed someone actually using a policy, because MP is too precious. I think it leaves you with pretty much no choice in the matter. if instead there was even a 1, 2 or 3 policy limit, and after that it drains power, then you're given choices.

In the sense that it literally requires that many points you are correct, which probably means that few people will pick idea groups SOLELY to turn on specific policies, but you don't spend 4000 MMP and get nothing, you get the whole quality idea set.

Basically, this is a bonus to people who complete complementary idea groups, something I've wanted in this game since EUIII. It's not free, and certainly the -1 MP is something that will have to be considered, the same way picking an extra general or diplomatic relation is something to consider.

Looks good. I might even purchase this later. I hope in next DLC they fix blobbing, utterly unbalanced and unfair tech group penalties and much much poorer soldiers of other techgroups than latin and eastern.

Everyone was Western the last 4-5 years, so you didn't get a good sample of what it's like for a non-Western nation to try to use policies.
A policy is 12 points a year. You can spare that as non-western.

I'm still not convinced by policies. Frankly I think too many things come under the points umbrella, and it doesn't help that I still don't really like points. I just think that there's going to be a few standout policies that are worth the points, and the rest will just be worthless. That, or policies will be so powerful for example that buildings will be forgotten relative to them (as I always thought buildings were already effectively a monarch point sink).

Why would anyone use the gold standard policy (as shown in the picture)? 1 inflation reduction for 120 adm points just isn't worth it.

You, my good sir, have never played natives. That's 1.2 yearly reduction, so -12 inflation in 10 years for 120 MP, compared to the actual 75 MP (is it?) for -2 inflation. Now when the Aztecs are sitting on their gold mines, think that the -inflation advisor alone was not enough to decrease inflation. I would have sold my grammy for this. And my mummy as well. I would probably have kept it active for the whole duration of the game if I could during that playthrough.

How is this different from how it supposedly works now? Discipline is already supposed to effect both combat ability and military tactics, i.e. Offense and Defense.

At game release, IIRC, the tooltip for discipline, as well as the wiki, said it affected both offense and defense. Then, fairly early on, either it was changed to affect only offense, or it was confirmed that it had affected only offense all along—can't remember precisely which.

I feel espionage might be a decent idea group now that it's in the diplomatic group, and expansion is in the administration group. It will depend on how good privateers are.

And I look forward to seeing Hungary finally conquered by... someone.

Nice, looks like a lot of refinement is being added!

I think that the cost of 1 point for month could be a bit harsh in some situation. And finally we might see some interesting Hungary-Ottomans interactions. Overall, these look like very solid DLC and patch. Surely better than CoP, I'd say. Looking forward to this.

You, my good sir, have never played natives. That's 1.2 yearly reduction, so -12 inflation in 10 years for 120 MP, compared to the actual 75 MP (is it?) for -2 inflation. Now when the Aztecs are sitting on their gold mines, think that the -inflation advisor alone was not enough to decrease inflation. I would have sold my grammy for this. And my mummy as well. I would probably have kept it active for the whole duration of the game if I could during that playthrough.

Natives should take economic anyway (lots of mono/accepted culture to get 100% benefit from buildings post-westernization or as tribal gov't), and sub-Saharan has way more inflation problems than Aztec, as they get the gold providing full inflation immediately if in/near Mali, Kilwa, or Ethiopia and have longer to wait with big inflation until they get to a mitigating factor. Gold is worth it anyway though; just buy a +2 advisor sooner and buy it down here and there.

You my good sir, did not check the actual effect of the policy (it's 0.1 yearly reduction ;) )

You my good sir, did not check the actual effect of the policy (it's 0.1 yearly reduction ;) )
I'd have to think that's a mistake. -0.1 per month would make sense, but per year no.

Also, my natives didn't get too bad, but my Najd is at 50% inflation...
It doesn't slow me down at all. Don't fear inflation

Curious to see how the AI will handle the nerf to that ridiculous Ghazi thing. I still see them doing very well though as they do currenetly. I think it will be fine.

Was hoping for more espionage buffs then just that however.