Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 9: Policies & Ideas & More

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do countries with 10% discipline like france, poland, england, divine, ottomans etc. keep their 10% discipline while sweden and prussia drop below that?

Do countries with large morale bonuses like france, prussia and poland get those reduced like the morale bonus from defensive?

Will piety bonuses be reduced as well?

as he noted above in the opening post, "For country specific ideas, we will not list when discipline, fire, shock OR production efficiency have changed, unless it was not just halved, or made generals only."

Increased discipline or troops abilities as a trade off (temporary when planing tough wars) sounds good, though I wouldn't see myself trading MP for some more gold (trade income,...). Actually, it looks even better given you can trade some ADM for discipline, ie better military proficiencies without hurting mil teching.

I'm not sure the policies would work very well for tech groups that have a monthly power malus and it's quite sad that everything is balanced from a western point of view.

Good to see vassal income has been increased btw, the old +10% was quite irrelevant.

So, Discipline now affects both defense and offense? Makes sense, I guess, though I though Military Tactics covered defense well enough.

I think Prussia might've been hit by the nerf bat a little too hard. IMO, it'd be better if Ambition increased Discipline by 10%, instead you cut the discipline provided by it (and Swedish Steel) by more than half. Not sure what I think about policies either, do we really need another MP drainer?

Overall though, I'm looking forward to the new patch.

Is it me, or it feels that it was decided to keep useless idea groups, well, useless?

And this privateers thing, I am kinda skeptical about it. More like cool (in theory) feature which will be whether imbalanced towards its superiority or will be never used. Let's see in-game though.

Each of these policies are fairly situational, but you have to plan ahead since you are only have to have a policy for at least 10 years.
What is this line supposed to say? 10 years is a long time. Are you only allowed to have policies for 10 years? If you turn one on do you have to keep it for 10 years? This seems like it could be important. Turning on a policy for 3-5 years to get 5% discipline (probably roughly equivalent to 10% discipline today since it will count both offensive and defensive) might not be such a bad thing, but if I have to do it 10 years, that's 120 points. Not necessarily an issue, but would have to consider it more closely.

Increased discipline or troops abilities as a trade off (temporary when planing tough wars) sounds good, though I wouldn't see myself trading MP for some more gold (trade income,...). Actually, it looks even better given you can trade some ADM for discipline, ie better military proficiencies without hurting mil teching.

I'm not sure the policies would work very well for tech groups that have a monthly power malus and it's quite sad that everything is balanced from a western point of view.

Good to see vassal income has been increased btw, the old +10% was quite irrelevant.

It should be all there is to "Prussian prowess", really. 120 years of 6-MIL leaders giving you more points than you can spend.

How modable will the policies system be? I'm sure that we can add new ones, but can we say, remove the requirement to have two idea groups, or remove/increase the monarch power cost of each policy? Very interesting overall, I can't wait to find out the release date.

going to have to play a colonial Courland game now. Don't know how im going to do it, but its going to be amazing. Take Courland then staple port some province that I can feed atlantic trade into then colonize north America. OH YEAH

but you have to first invest 8000 points, 4000 of them in MIL for quality. then you have to turn on -1 MP whenever you're in a fight if you want that. I might do it for that, but I'm probably not going to use it for anything else. I don't think A_SPEC ever showed someone actually using a policy, because MP is too precious. I think it leaves you with pretty much no choice in the matter. if instead there was even a 1, 2 or 3 policy limit, and after that it drains power, then you're given choices.

Ehh.. Pretty much everyone used 4-5 policies the last 100 years.. It was just not possible to compete otherwise.

Due to the addition of policies wont that just give western/eastern/ottoman nations even more of an edge over the rest of the world. I know the pips are being rebalanced, any chance muslims get new infantry between 12 and 20 and indian/chineese nations lose that monarch point malus?

How is this different from how it supposedly works now? Discipline is already supposed to effect both combat ability and military tactics, i.e. Offense and Defense.
Discipline is currently just a multiplier for the base casualties. After the modifiers are applied the results are divided by tactics. I'd assume defensive discipline will somehow be calculated in with the tactics or be subtracted in some way from the modifiers.