Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 6: Improved Diplomacy

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wealth of Nations looks like a must-buy. Thanks for the update and ... is that Egypt we see set as Poland's rival in the screenie?

Very nice indeed.

Yes.. Its a screenshot from the current situation of our MP game at the office.

Will the AI take power projection into account when determining if they can beat you? A common problem is the AI underestimating the player, and declaring war over and over even though they lose every war. If the wars accumulate power projection for the user (or another AI nation), the AI could use that to determine a nation is more powerful than their military looks on paper.

You know what, when I think about those changes more and more, it finally gets to me that with this addition they`ll finally be making some worthy peace time activities for players- hence checking any possible ways to boost your Power Projection value by hurting your rivals in any way possible.I mean by it, checking the diplomacy status, economical, manpower, navies, rebels. I know that all of that is in the game already, but now they cleverly giving out actual buffs to your country by paying attention more to your game. I know this doesn`t fix all the off-war lack of content but it`s a really good start.

Hmm...

I thought they said last week that this dev diary would include Sikhism?
There was a mixup about which features would be discussed when, so I'm afraid details won't be until later. Although we can confirm now (as most of you probably suspected) that there will be Sikhism.

if you have over 50 Power Projection you will get +1 monarch point of each type every month.

Good lord!

Question: If you beat the living snot out of your rival, and they get very small.. will they stay rivals until you annex them?

Johan could you elaborate more on Rivarly system and Power Projection value:

The game decides which countries will fill the list of possible rivalable nations from which I can pick, furthermore this decision has a cooldown of 10 years, my question is:
1. When for instance I am doing very well against my rivals does the game at some point informs me that the country has been droped from the list of Rivalable countries or the games itself drops it from my picks in Diplomatic Screen or is it I am stuck with them for the 10 years time? Will there be some UI notification for this event?

Good lord!

Question: If you beat the living snot out of your rival, and they get very small.. will they stay rivals until you annex them?

This is exactly the first thing that to came to my mind as well.
If you (or the AI) basically reduce a rival from a competitor to a minor, will the game automatically remove him as your rival or not?

Other than that, this sounds really good. Current rival system is just a gamey means to get discounts on claims and free prestige :D
And now I really really want to know about the unit rebalances :/

If I'm reading this right, then the trade war CB was only going to be available for WoN. If this was the case, then it's a damn good thing transfer trade power diplomacy is now WoN only, or it would've been little more useful in vanilla than current protectorates.

WoN is the only way to Fabricate Trade Conflict CB - but anyone (would've) been able to use the improved Trade Transfer option, and being able to select 0-100 trade power in wars. Now that'll only be for WoN buyers.

Wait. You didn't nerf BROT from prestige again did you? In that screenshot, Poland has 95 prestige for only 9.5% BROT.

wat

Since trade disputes can now be fabricated, will merchant republics still get the trade dispute CB automatically on each other? The permanent relations malus from the CB can be irritating, so it would be neat if the CB had to be gained by fabrication or embargo.

The big unanswered question is if the Ai is getting fixed.

Its is pretty close to being broken right now. Leading to incrediably poor replayability.

Will the ai even be able to use the new features?

You KNOW this is going to be a major issue if we dont harp on it.