Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 5: Religion

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I love all of these things, especially about new Hindu religion system and auto papacy

To me the Cardinal thing is an excelent dlc feature. The game was designed without it and you can have the same amount of fun as you could before the DLC was released, and its not something that affects gamebalance for the people that doesnt have the DLC. But if you buy the DLC you get a little bit of extra value, as you should.

I still think thats a QoL change that should be patched in, its just added micromanagement at the end of the day and now its going to be pay to remove?

Taking it to an extreme - imagine a FPS which has no autofire by pressing the left button, but has a DLC which enables you to do it. You still can have fun though - if you click really fast :D

Loving the Hindu gods.

To me the Cardinal thing is an excelent dlc feature. The game was designed without it and you can have the same amount of fun as you could before the DLC was released, and its not something that affects gamebalance for the people that doesnt have the DLC. But if you buy the DLC you get a little bit of extra value, as you should.
It's a quality of life change that was only needed because the original implementation of papal influence was a bit bad.
It seems very silly to me to charge for something that pretty much should've been there in the first place, as the current implementation of papal influence is a tedious mess.

And finally, as a little extra to those who buy Wealth of Nations, you will now be able to automate cardinal influence, by using a checkbox next to each cardinal. With that checked the game will automatically assign enough influence to selected cardinals to keep your guy ahead in the competition. This is mostly to avoid the busy work of fighting to add +5 here and there to keep France out of the Throne of Peter.

That's quite the incentive to pick up WoN... Rather cruel to leave it out of the basic UI!

That's quite the incentive to pick up WoN... Rather cruel to leave it out of the basic UI!
Meanwhile, for me it's an incentive to wait for a sale instead of buying it on release.
I bought CoP on release, and I've barely even played it. If this papacy thing is a paid feature though, I'll wait for a sale instead as a statement that I can't support this kind of DLC policy.

Great, now we get to listen to everyone whine about this until the Devs change it or the expansion comes out. If you're going to buy the expansion anyway, and I suspect that the overwhelming majority of the people who cry about the automated curia controls not being included for free will, then it doesn't matter if this feature is free or not.

I think that this one would fit more as a part of the free patch, not paid expansion. Apart from that, it's all great.

I concur.

Great, now we get to listen to everyone whine about this until the Devs change it or the expansion comes out. If you're going to buy the expansion anyway, and I suspect that the overwhelming majority of the people who cry about the automated curia controls not being included for free will, then it doesn't matter if this feature is free or not.

Short Answer, Principle.

If you're going to buy the expansion anyway [...] then it doesn't matter if this feature is free or not.
That's a terrible way to look at things. Taking that argument to its logical conclusion, the entire patch might as well be part of the expansion.

Please reconsider this policy, Besuchov.
If the DLC sales are not ramping up as fast as the product managers (or whoever is in charge of EU4 development) want, slowly alienating your userbase isn't the way to improve sales. I hope that the backlash here proves a point. I'd buy the expansion just for the Hindu religions, but that Curia Controller checkbox only in the expansion is a really bad idea.
Bad karma!

Otherwise, these 2 religious aspects (Fervor, Gods) seem very cool, it's exactly what we wanted from the game - adding interesting game mechanics to otherwise bland parts (Reformed, Hinduism).
Based on this trend I hopeful that the next DLCs will be for China/Hordes and the after that for African sub-Saharan nations - which would make for an awesome game anywhere in the world.

Ok? Versus the terrible way of looking at things where the forums are flooded with outrage over the travesty of a company trying to profit from their work?

I appreciate that Paradox continues to support their games as long as they do. They do this by charging for some of the content they add, there is nothing wrong with this.

Ok? Versus the terrible way of looking at things where the forums are flooded with outrage over the travesty of a company trying to profit from their work?

I appreciate that Paradox continues to support their games as long as they do. They do this by charging for some of the content they add, there is nothing wrong with this.

Yeah. Good luck with that. EA you, sir.

It does not matter that such thing is being sold (personally I liked HoD and its small tweaks), but now it just conflicts with the new thing - after imposing CNs, protectorates, inability to move ships into TI more than to one cell - "free stuff", and now - UI functionality tweak as a part of the DLC, and not the patch? Just strange. And while in old-style extensions such things seemed natural (you got bunch of stuff, extension), but with the new model, it seems to be "some of that there, some of this here" mess, with possibilities of crippled game in the output (I am talking to you, Colonial Nations).

Last edited:
Meanwhile, for me it's an incentive to wait for a sale instead of buying it on release.
I bought CoP on release, and I've barely even played it. If this papacy thing is a paid feature though, I'll wait for a sale instead as a statement that I can't support this kind of DLC policy.

Ultimately, I'm forced to agree.

We have also changed one of the Reformed religions regular modifiers from +10% trade efficiency to +2 tolerance for heretics, instead.

Uh, what. Last I checked, the Calvanists weren't particularly tolerant of the other Christian faiths, at least during the centuries surrounding the Thirty Years' War.

Pretty sad comment. "We designed an insanely poor UI element and now we are selling you an excellent DLC feature." Wow, I feel so happy.

The issue isn't that they're charging for something. The issue is what they're choosing to charge for.
In this case, a fix for their poor UI design decision.
You'll notice how no one's had any complaints about the Hindu stuff being DLC, since that's actually the sort of thing that's appropriate to put in an expansion rather than the patch.

And as I've said, the logical conclusion of your argument is that they could put literally the entire patch as paid content, since you aren't making any sort of distinction between what is and isn't fit for being DLC.

Well, this is sad. Maybe its good business strategy, but one of the things I liked about Pdox is that they don't nickle and dime people to fix things that they got wrong initially.

Is there any chance I can make a trade - you keep the buggy new native american tribes, colonial nations that won't colonize, and utterly buggy protectorates - I'll take the automated Papacy investment in exchange?