Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 3: Naval Improvement

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe the Anti-Piracy Act Decision/Policy will allow your country to hunt the Privateers without having to go to War?

Otherwise Protecting Trade from Privateers is useless, because it leads to war automatically.

Paradox designers, PLEASE READ.

The way I would have preferred to see these work is as follows:

1) Privateers are "mercenary" ships. You hire them (officially described as "granting a letter of marque"), though at a discount compared to fielding your own ships. You pay upkeep. Like mercenaries, there are limits to how many are available at any one time.

This might be okay as long as privateers don't count as apart of your naval limit. Otherwise, your privateers become kind of worthless.

While talking about naval improvement, naval combat should be a bit less bloody than what it is now. Naval war is usually done after the first big battle when one stack is completely wiped out. It should be a bit less radical for more excitement.

Maybe the Anti-Piracy Act Decision/Policy will allow your country to hunt the Privateers without having to go to War?

Otherwise Protecting Trade from Privateers is useless, because it leads to war automatically.

+1

While talking about naval improvement, naval combat should be a bit less bloody than what it is now. Naval war is usually done after the first big battle when one stack is completely wiped out. It should be a bit less radical for more excitement.
Yeah, it used to be better, hopefully they will change it back.

Paradox designers, PLEASE READ.

The way I would have preferred to see these work is as follows:

1) Privateers are "mercenary" ships. You hire them (officially described as "granting a letter of marque"), though at a discount compared to fielding your own ships. You pay upkeep. Like mercenaries, there are limits to how many are available at any one time.
2) If at war, they will fight against any hostile opponent, and can combine with your forces (though see below for leadership).
3) If at peace, they cannot combine with your normal navy. Instead, you can assign what specific nations you want privateers to attack, like setting a rival. You can have privateer missions against multiple opponents (though each mission should have a nominal cost; say, 10 Dip). Privateers will only enter combat with forces of that opponent's nation, plus any of their vassals or colonial nations.
4) Once you hire privateers and set a mission against a country, that nation gains the Trade Dispute CB against you. Removing a nation from the privateering list immediately loses the Trade Dispute CB.
5) You can assign privateers to patrol, and they can blockade ports, but not protect trade (you can't get money from them).
6) Privateers can base from any friendly or neutral port, so long as that nation is not hostile or a rival to your country.
7) Ships captured in battle by privateers turn into additional privateers.
8) Admirals and explorers cannot be assigned to an all-privateer force.
9) Privateers have an inherent modest leadership value (1-1-3-1) which is only used if they are in an all-privateer force.

Also, privateers were not simply lawless, stateless "pirates." They had letters of marque, which granted them the right to attack another nation's ships on behalf of some other sovereign nation. This was to ensure that, in part, if captured by an opposing nation, they would not be hung as pirates.

They often just flew the flag, or a modified flag, of the nation that hired them:

(Source: Wikipedia, Jolly Roger)

The problem with hiring privateers is -- what do they do when the war is over? That is why you had such an increase in piracy after the War of the Spanish Succession (1714). So I would suggest that, after you dismiss privateers, some percentage of them may turn to pirate ships, out of control of the player who hired them. They might even get dismissed in one province, and show up a few zones distant and some days or months afterwards. (Increase the spawn rate of pirates within "x" sea zones for "n" months, even in places that have been "patrolled.")

I like this idea so much better than Pdox idea.

If a strait is partially blockaded, how much blockade percent is required to stop land units from crossing? 1%? 50%? 100%?

Is there a way to allow them to cross a (partially) blockaded strait, albeit suffering heavy losses?

Nice DD, thanks PDox. -> Hop, quit the EUIV forum and don't come back before the next DD :p , too much negativity everywhere in it :D.

Well, the "detach obsolete ships" will certainly be very welcome.

Hey Paradox, can you add an option to tell trade ships to merge into a single stack if they're patrolling the same node? Sort of like the "attach" option that armies currently have. It's cumbersome adding to a new stack because you have to stick your new ships in a seazone and wait for your current fleet to enter it so you can merge them, or else override their patrolling behavior to bring them to where your new ships are, and then send them back patrolling again. It's just one of those little things that would make gameplay a lot slicker.

+ One Million

I'll donate the cost of the expansion if this feature makes it into the next patch. I desire this considerably more than "detach obsolete", since one can already do that manually quite easily.

Trade patrol behaviours
Personally I hate when you find yourself at war with a bigger naval power and they quickly sink your trade fleets. As a free part of the expansion we are adding the option of setting your trade fleets to automatically return to port at the outbreak of war. After the war is over though, they will return to whatever they were doing at the start of the war. Since its an option, you have a choice to make, is your trade-fleets strong enough to fight of possible attackers or should they always hide at the outbreak of hostilities.

It's fine if this feature would make it harder to ambush enemy trade fleets, but please don't make it impossible to do so. Surprising enemy fleets, in particular to remove some of their trade power, is one of the important elements in preparing to declare war.

Last edited:
Privateer suggestion/wish: Tie some sort of bonus/effect into the Espionage Ideas, which deserve/need some additional oomph for solo play if nothing else. For example, with Privateers need not create an immediate Casus Belli unless/until you get caught using them, and your ability to get away with using them can be tied to various factors, including something that might be tied to Espionage.

I love the idea of creating synergies between mechanics and ideas for gameplay and decisionmaking purposes.

What if instead of the assumed immediate CB against privateer users you get the CB when you go to battle with one of their privateer ships? +1 for the synergy with espionage ideas and with the piracy act.

This might be okay as long as privateers don't count as apart of your naval limit. Otherwise, your privateers become kind of worthless.
The reason they would still be worth it is, say, if you wanted to harass Spanish shipping without making a giant coalition war out of it.

For instance, maybe you just got out of a war with Spain, but during the treaty period wanted to go wreak havoc on Spanish shipping as they were building back their fleet. Hire a bunch of privateers, and sweep the seas clear of the Spanish trade fleets for a while.

Historically, using privateers was useful for such quasi-wars. And, like the War of 1812 example, they were also good to make a quasi-navy if you had little of a standing fleet of your own.

What I just abhor is treating them as freebooters flying the Jolly Roger. That makes no sense historically and turns EUIV into a Pirates of the Carribean-style fantasy movie.

Hey Paradox, can you add an option to tell trade ships to merge into a single stack if they're patrolling the same node? Sort of like the "attach" option that armies currently have. It's cumbersome adding to a new stack because you have to stick your new ships in a seazone and wait for your current fleet to enter it so you can merge them, or else override their patrolling behavior to bring them to where your new ships are, and then send them back patrolling again. It's just one of those little things that would make gameplay a lot slicker.

THIS!!! +1

Along the return of trade ships to ports during war.. This would be my 2 most wanted tweaks for naval stuff!

Wait, privateers just give a CB, and I cannot sink those ships without a declaration of war?

That's a serious bummer. How is that realistic? As Spain, I will have to declare war on France and fight 200.000 french soldiers on the border just to be able to sink privateers?
No from what I understand is that when they are marked as privateers the inherit the properties of regular pirates in EU4. Meaning they can be sunk.