Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations – Dev diary 3: Naval Improvement

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just wanted to write the same.

Also, spies in EU3 were much more usable and now it is like of regression. "Espionage" ideas group does not worth it at all.

EUIV made it better. It's just AI -RR that pretty much makes it useless. It was so easy to exploit in EUIII. Instant spying actions was really bad. A high BT province with decent probablity to trigger rebels? Wait to have 5 spies. Send all them at once; with bits of luck, it triggers 2/3 hudge rebel stacks in a nation at war... Or, wait that a colony with lots of natives (Africa, Indonesia) reaches around 900 colonists, provoke natives and that's one less province for AI. Just repeat again and again and AI just couldn't colonize anymore...

I've found intrigue to be one of the greatest disappointments of EUIV.

"Sabotage Reputation" is a loathsome penalty which the victim has no recourse against but simply endure until it's discovered; then just start it again. I've suffered from 2-4 nations all using it at the same time against me. I loathe it so much I don't ever use it on opponents. I can understand that something like that can be part of a "dirty tricks" book, but there should be more of a way to fight against it, uncover it, etc. It makes me yearn to have a "spymaster" like in CK2 to uncover plots.

I've spent thousands of ducats supporting rebellions which generally resulted in very little. Also, because cores disappear, and religious conversions happen so swiftly, you generally have a limited window to support most rebels.

Espionage is no longer a strategy in EUIV. It becomes a hobby for only the richest and most-bored nations to dabble in.

It might be quite different in multiplayer -- I can see "sabotage reputation" being a real PvP screw-over -- but in single-player, it's just trash.

Last edited:
EUIV made it better. It's just AI -RR that pretty much makes it useless. It was so easy to exploit in EUIII. Instant spying actions was really bad. A high BT province with decent probablity to trigger rebels? Wait to have 5 spies. Send all them at once; with bits of luck, it triggers 2/3 hudge rebel stacks in a nation at war... Or, wait that a colony with lots of natives (Africa, Indonesia) reaches around 900 colonists, provoke natives and that's one less province for AI. Just repeat again and again and AI just couldn't colonize anymore...

How EUIV made it better? By completely tuirning it off in SP for human? Rebels - from huge rebel stacks to non-existing rebel support. Especially given that new coring mechanics eliminates possible rebels very easy.

And this "exploit" cult again. It is not an exploit, it is balance issues.