Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations - Dev Diary 10: Balance Changes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I highly doubt Paradox will do this. That would take all randomness away from colonisation, and it seems like people don't like this kind of determinism.

This is the commonly suggested argument ("determinism") and I would have agreed, if the current decision was something different. In 100 games played as observer, the overwhelming majority would result in the same countries colonizing the same areas at roughly similiar times. They would still do the same things over and over again, only they will be deterministically unhistorical :) That's why I don't think this argument stands.

Looks like Granada got massively buffed.

How so? You don't need to move your capital to africa anymore - true, but if they changed how SE mechanics work you are going to get rolled by iberians anyway.

Given the amount of questions regarding unit stat details, I'm just going to post a graph of the new spread of (total) pips for infantry, so you get the idea of how it works now.

View attachment 108256

Looks good. Thanks.

It will be a scripted bonus in tech, so you could for example make it so you get small increments of adm. efficiency across the entire game instead of a few big ones at the end, if you wanted to.

Wouldn't the adm. efficiency bonus be a good addition to the difficulty settings? So that Easy Difficulty gives a player bonus and Very Hard a player malus?

What is pips btw?

Pips are the little dots that unit types have in shock, fire and morale. Offensive pips add to your diceroll, defensive pips remove from enemy's diceroll.

How so? You don't need to move your capital to africa anymore - true, but if they changed how SE mechanics work you are going to get rolled by iberians anyway.

I always play with the house rule of "Capital must stay in Granada" so, for me, I guess I should say, Granada has been buffed.

Given the amount of questions regarding unit stat details, I'm just going to post a graph of the new spread of (total) pips for infantry, so you get the idea of how it works now.

View attachment 108256

I like the early western slump and it should provide for exciting first 100 years (or so?) for western tech players.

Something that was making me curious while modding, and even further so after I read about overall reducing of pips is - why so few pips? Doesn't the overall reducing of pips make it more difficult to provide different techs' units with different stats? I mean the closer the mean comes to zero, the less variety there should be (less possible combinations of pips among techs).

I always westernized, so no, I don't.

That's the difference that stacks up with the following bonuses: unit combat ability (Russia has 0), morale (again 0), discipline (0 yet again). Discipline now affects your own casualities, so it's not nerfed.

I don't understand why there are still some proponents of the idea that there should be a whopping ONE military-oriented country in the game, that relies *entirely* on numbers, and that country being Russia, not Ming or some Hordes. Mind-boggling stuff!
Why would they not be that nation? Russia has always relied on its massive population and huge territory to defend themselves. They stand no match one on one with for example France. Of course, I am not talking about modern day, but up until WWI or WWII.

It will be a scripted bonus in tech, so you could for example make it so you get small increments of adm. efficiency across the entire game instead of a few big ones at the end, if you wanted to.
Is it possible to add it via ideas and modifiers? Being able to do that and be able to cap it would be nice.

Looks like I need to westernise my ottomans before 1.6!

Why would they not be that nation? Russia has always relied on its massive population and huge territory to defend themselves. They stand no match one on one with for example France. Of course, I am not talking about modern day, but up until WWI or WWII.
You've got no idea what you're talking about. It was not until late XIX century that population of Russia skyrocketed. These dates are even outside of EU4's timeframe!
Napoleonic France was fought exactly on a one-on-one basis, no party scored a decisive victory on the battlefield and French troops eventually got battered down by attrition. End of the story.

Norway stood no match against several German commandos - should we remove 5% discipline bonus from it?

I love especially the tolerance changes, but virually every thing presented in the OP is good. I really hope they will be as moddable as possible too, for obvious reasons.

Concerning the tolerance: Could you change it so that affects the naval forcelimit scaling (heathen/heretic ports provide only half of naval forcelimits)? Or at least make it moddable if you wish to keep it as it is now in vanilla.

Not currently.

I hope Captain manages to add that. It is literally the first request in the 'Requests to Usermod Coordinator' thread (for some idea-only modifiers to be able to be used elsewhere).

I love especially the tolerance changes, but virually every thing presented in the OP is good. I really hope they will be as moddable as possible too, for obvious reasons.

Concerning the tolerance: Could you change it so that affects the naval forcelimit scaling (heathen/heretic ports provide only half of naval forcelimits)? Or at least make it moddable if you wish to keep it as it is now in vanilla.

Wrong religion no longer affects naval forcelimit.

Not sure I like rebels getting stronger. IMO, Pretenders and Nobles should definitely have good compositions and be trouble, but Religious and Peasant rebels should be weaker. And Nationalists are already strong enough as they are.

I like the rest of the changes alot, but is there a reason why pips are so much lower? I thought they were only going to brought down to where cavalry was. And how good will cavalry be in the new patch?

The linear line is Nomad ? Im colorblind I cant tell the difference. :rofl:

Edit: Holy crap, Chinese units stronger than Eastern? Am I seeing this right ?

Exciting changes!

Any chance republics/republican tradition will be looked at? Previously the devs have hinted that choosing your leader's stats is a bit overpowered. I don't doubt it. On the other hand, republics do currently face a cost of diploannexing: -10 republican tradition is a reelection.

[Let's put aside any strategy of intentionally hovering at <50 republican tradition to choose -1 stability + 20 republican tradition events in combination with religious ideas] So let's say 10 republican tradition is worth about (3 types of monarch points each increased by one, assuming you don't reelect past 3/3/6 etc)*(12 months)*(8 years--noble; 4 years--merchant, etc etc) 288 monarch points for a noble republic and 144 monarch points for merchant republic.

So two questions:
1) Why doesn't the loss of republican tradition from reelection vary with reelection cycle length? Currently noble republic wins hands down.
2) If diploannexing continues to cost republican tradition, whatever balance exists between diploannexing vs conquest will be tilted in favor of conquest for republics.