Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations - Dev Diary 10: Balance Changes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh well, whatever changes in the units/technology, at least they are moddable.

The AI improvements are most welcome, as always.

I say this yet again: Using diplomatic score for a wide range of purposes, from creating a royal marriage with a new partner to researching new ship rigging to diploannexin now, is grossly unrealistic and disbalancing.

BTW early colonizers should get an advantage, otherwise what's the motive to be the first colonizing power?

You don't say? And it took only a mere 8 months after game release for this feeling to accumulate.

Early colonizers already have an advantage in their ideas and in their geographical locations. They just won't be as able in the player's hand to lock the new world down at a far higher pace than was done in history.

So, westernizing as Russia doesn't make much sense now at all, while westernized 3rd world countries still get rid of MP penalty and gain far better tech discount compared to their origin. And the cost for all countries is the same - rebellions, stability and 2400 MP.

Given how Russia was *the only* country to westernize successfully, how is this historically plausible?

Very, very nice changes indeed. The admin efficiency mostly. Will make late game "pushes" like Napoleon and Charles XII tried, actually possible.

One thing I am worried about. The ONLY reason eastern tech nations westernized was to get the western units. The 20% extra tech cost can be overcome with some planning. Will they now have 0 reason to westernize, or are the late, late game western units better than the counterparts?

This is an incredible update.

Those quality of life fixes solve about 99999 whining threads on this forum, reddit, and elsewhere.

Here's hoping that there will be as few bugs as possible, otherwise the update seems awesome!

So, westernizing as Russia doesn't make much sense now at all, while westernized 3rd world countries still get rid of MP penalty and gain far better tech discount compared to their origin. And the cost for all countries is the same - rebellions, stability and 2400 MP.

Given how Russia was *the only* country to westernize successfully, how is this historically plausible?

Cost is not equal for everyone. New World countries need more than double that amount (5000 points.)

Now this is what I call a major rebalance. Definitely looking forward to trying it out.

Regarding the diploannexation thing: does the DMP cost apply when integrating Personal Unions too?

Very, very nice changes indeed. The admin efficiency mostly. Will make late game "pushes" like Napoleon and Charles XII tried, actually possible.

One thing I am worried about. The ONLY reason eastern tech nations westernized was to get the western units. The 20% extra tech cost can be overcome with some planning. Will they now have 0 reason to westernize, or are the late, late game western units better than the counterparts?

I agree, this seems a little off. Back in EU3 you had to westernize several times as you went through tech groups. With how the units work now I would almost like to see that again, and then each step should obviously be cheaper than the process is now.

But hey, the changes 98% awesome and 2% 'I'm a little sceptical'. Can't wait!

Last edited:
I don't like the new cost of diploannexation. Diplo points are really precious because you use them in peace deals. Also will not this make France overpowered much sooner? They will be able to annex all their vassals relatively quickly now.

I am disappointed that the building MP cost wasn't cut in half, but maybe now they will be worth at least more.

province warscore costs by 75%.

We will be able to go full Napoleon in late game now, huh? Sweet.

So if units are more equal, but don't scale the same, are there no more technology/monarch point penalties for non-Western nations?

No. Units being equal means they're equal on the same tech level... Western units at tech 20 are better than Indian at tech 12. Previously it was a double penalty for slower tech groups, as they both had slower tech and worse units at the same tech level.

I don't like the fact you retain your initial unit type after westernization. So now as late-game Russia when fighting western Europeans I not only have to overcome NIs disparity, but also units, which peaked in early game, when I was dealing with mere hordes? So on top of having NO combat bonuses I'll have less pips. How is that fair?

Even less reasons to form Russia from Muscovy, Novgorod or Russian minors now. Culture shift all the way \o/

I don't like the fact you retain your initial unit type after westernization. So now as late-game Russia when fighting western Europeans I not only have to overcome NIs disparity, but also units, which peaked in early game, when I was dealing with mere hordes? So on top of having NO combat bonuses I'll have less pips. How is that fair?

Even less reasons to form Russia from Muscovy, Novgorod or Russian minors now. Culture shift all the way \o/

Eastern Units are nearly on par with Western in the end game. The difference between the top Western and top Eastern infantry is like two pips (total).

Contrary to popular approval I do not like many of the changes in the new expansion, including the free patch. I'm sure you'll understand, you cannot please every one of your clients.
As I have several-months-old ironman games in progress, will there be an option to continue them as they are now or will I be forced to patch the game?

Contrary to popular approval I do not like many of the changes in the new expansion, including the free patch. I'm sure you'll understand, you cannot please every one of your clients.
As I have several-months-old ironman games in progress, will there be an option to continue them as they are now or will I be forced to patch the game?

You can use the steam betas function to roll eu4 back to an earlier version

Early colonizers already have an advantage in their ideas and in their geographical locations. They just won't be as able in the player's hand to lock the new world down at a far higher pace than was done in history.

Of course, it's difficult to say until we get to test it for ourselves. Changes which I would really like to see and which I think would be really big news, and in the same departments that the patch addresses, would be:
1. The ability to recruit more than one type of unit at the same time, and thus have armies of mixed types of infantry (that's already possible to some extent when recruiting mercenaries, they are sometimes of different types).
2. AI countries that expand (or at least - that tend to expand) their colonies in those regions and provinces into which they really did.