Europa Universalis IV v1.4 Patchnotes - checksum c814 - NO PROBLEM REPORTS HERE PLS!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I really hope this won't happen and the colonization would be unaffected unless the DLC is checked. I'd appreciate if there is a clearer explanation regarding the scope of the DLC and the patch.

- Will colonial nations form without DLC, or does the "protectorate" apply only to the non-colonial, vassalized low-tech nations? And what is "too low"? Does it have something to do with the amount of tech or is it predefined as a whole tech group?
- What will happen to the tariffs for non-American overseas provinces? If Spain owns Spice Islands, does Spain get full tax? That'd be way OP for Europeans...
- "If a protectorate westernizes"... does it mean the AIs will finally be able to pull off Westernization now?
- Will there be any way to reduce liberty desire, or is it meant to be another late-game "screw you, you've been playing the game too long" sort of a deal where you're bound to lose all of them in the end?

-Pdox said in multiple topics that everyone get colonial nations with 1.4, you just can't play as them without CoP. EDIT: protectorates will be nations which have 50% or even bigger tech penalty than you (they will replace vassals in that case - IIRC you can't vassalise such nations anymore, you can only make the protectorates)
-I think this is covered by this patch note:
- Overseas provinces now give production income again, but with a -100% local production efficiency.
-Win against a liberation war and via events

This have been explained in another thread: You can only vassalize countries with a tech group of less than +50% tech penalty difference. So a western country will vassalize eastern(+20% tech penalty), ottoman(+25% tech penalty iirc) and muslim(+40% tech penalty) but will make a protectorate to other tech groups like india(+50% tech penalty)

Thanks. Now a Westernized Asian nation can only make protectorates out of their neighbors, I guess. Can the protectorates that are not "colonial" be annexed at least? If not, this comes really close to gamebreaker to me....

-Pdox said in multiple topics that everyone get colonial nations with 1.4, you just can't play as them without CoP. EDIT: protectorates will be nations which have 50% or even bigger tech penalty than you (they will replace vassals in that case - IIRC you can't vassalise such nations anymore, you can only make the protectorates)

Thanks for the answers. Now I'm stuck with unwanted features intended for an expansion that I don't want at all. Great.

Russian ambitions nerfed from 100% to 50% manpower.
By the gods, Russia has been finally nerfed! Hallelujah!

Thanks!

Now I'm stuck with unwanted features intended for an expansion that I don't want at all. Great.

Damn you, Paradox, stop working on EU4 and improving the game! How dare you give me new features to play with, bug fixes and tons of improvements without I even having to pay for it? Inconceivable! Take your progress anywhere else and leave my exploits here, I don't want change!
/s

Big patch notes is big.

I'm... not impressed.
AE got nerfed, how much we will see...
Religious got nerfed... depending on nerfed AE it might cause more 'watching the paint dry' gameplay, or it may not, we shall see...
Iqta is still a dead end government which you start the game with and now Scheming Bureaucracy has mtth to high to ever fire in a single game...
Making Rome and Mecca inconvertable is a great idea, especially with Religious Unity - conquer rome/mecca, get free 1RR worldwide.
No changes in WS calculation... carpet sieging will continue.
No changes in CB types, world war over three provinces will continue.
Nerfed Core time... for a game which is all about releasing vassals and feeding them PD sure is making our lives much harder.
Fixed cores... at least SOME good news.

Overall? I am not very eager to install this patch, few good things, many bad and annoying.

Thanks. Now a Westernized Asian nation can only make protectorates out of their neighbors, I guess. Can the protectorates that are not "colonial" be annexed at least? If not, this comes really close to gamebreaker to me....

Thanks for the answers. Now I'm stuck with unwanted features intended for an expansion that I don't want at all. Great.

If I'm not mistaken you can copy the EU4 folder from steam somewhere else and still run the game, so you could have the patched version on steam and a seperate 1.3 copy somewhere else, if you want to play without the new features :)
(I'm not 100% sure though, I've heared it works, but never tried it myself)

No but they will count towards WC, give you trade power and probably force limits(but can't find anything about this one)

Damn you, Paradox, stop working on EU4 and improving the game! How dare you give me new features to play with, bug fixes and tons of improvements without I even having to pay for it? Inconceivable! Take your progress anywhere else and leave my exploits here, I don't want change!
/s

Bug fixes, AI improvements and stuff are fine. I appreciate the improvements.

But the point of a DLC is letting the user choose whether someone wants that specific feature or not, right? If you don't care about the American Dreams, then you just don't buy it, and the game simply runs without it just fine.

Whether you call something an "improvement" or not is rather subjective. The colonial nations and protectorates are fundamental changes to the gameplay style as we know. If they were restricted to the DLC, that would mean I could simply choose whether to buy the CoP or not, and whether to check CoP at startup or not, depending on what kind of game I want to play. This is a choice I want as a customer: whether I want the expansion or not is my choice, and I feel like these features are forced into my throat now.

I'm pretty sure the new mechanics are going to be fun to play with. I may buy CoP if the reviews are good (I never preorder unreleased products). But I still want a choice to go back to vanilla game at whim. Is that too much to ask, to be able to use a product as I purchased?

As Rome is a "religious centre" does that mean I can't convert it as the Byzantine Empire? :(

Making Rome and Mecca inconvertable is a great idea, especially with Religious Unity - conquer rome/mecca, get free 1RR worldwide.

- Mecca and Rome are now religious centers, which are practically impossible to convert.

Almost impossible. Not impossible. You can convert them.

- Russian ambitions nerfed from 100% to 50% manpower.
- Nerfed Prussian & Japanese ideas slightly.
- Swedish military reforms are now less potent.

Wow. The Swedes actually got nerfed, but since the Prussians, Japanese and Russians also got nerfed, and only Military Reforms got slightly nerfed, which means the Swedes may even be more OP depending on how hard each individual party got hit with the nerfstick. I am betting on the Swedes netting positive on this, since their NIs, Grand Military Reorganization, and that Trade reform are 100% untouched.

Though, the greatest nerf to Sweden might actually be protectorates... I asked Paradox if you could release Asian countries as vassals and got no response, if you can only release protectorates, then Eastern tech group becomes even better than Western on virtue that it can vassalize Indian and Chinese tech group as opposed to protectorate.

Bug fixes, AI improvements and stuff are fine. I appreciate the improvements.

But the point of a DLC is letting the user choose whether someone wants that specific feature or not, right? If you don't care about the American Dreams, then you just don't buy it, and the game simply runs without it just fine.

Whether you call something an "improvement" or not is rather subjective. The colonial nations and protectorates are fundamental changes to the gameplay style as we know. If they were restricted to the DLC, that would mean I could simply choose whether to buy the CoP or not, and whether to check CoP at startup or not, depending on what kind of game I want to play. This is a choice I want as a customer: whether I want the expansion or not is my choice, and I feel like these features are forced into my throat now.

I'm pretty sure the new mechanics are going to be fun to play with. I may buy CoP if the reviews are good (I never preorder unreleased products). But I still want a choice to go back to vanilla game at whim. Is that too much to ask, to be able to use a product as I purchased?

Like mentioned above, copy your game files before the update and have both. Also, any vassals you have before westernizing will remain vassals after westernization. .

Protectorates take no DipRel, but cannot be annexed.

A westernised nation can indeed not vassalise any Indian, African, New World etc nation. Just Eastern, Ottoman, Muslim.

However, if such a nation gets its vassals before it westernises, it keeps them after it westernises.

Therefore the strategy for a nation like you describe will be clear: Start East, get your neighbours into vassalisation, and only when you have as many as you need, westernise. Then Go West, and start focusing on the Europeans, Muslims and Ottomans.

Status
Not open for further replies.