Europa Universalis IV: The Cossacks announced!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yaay! Another non-programmer who has extensive knowledge of AI programming -_-
You are quite right, I am not a programmer. But I 'guess' that AI in EU series works based on casual if, and, or, else system, and the quality of AI is determined mainly by the quantity of such conditions. Eg -
in case A do X
in case B do Y
in case A with condition C do Z, then X. If it fails - then it is case B, then do Y.
etc.
I understand that complexity of numerous actions and variants in a game like EU is really hard to predifine in such manner, but it still needs to be done.
And since with every patch and expansion the game gets many new features and mechanics, the initially dumb AI gets lost in such variety of possible actions towards him and his possible reactions.

Soo, as I've said "Yaay, cossacks! Many new mechanics to brutally destroy stupid AI !! Yaay!".

P.S.
I understand that Johan and fellas are all people and they just don't want to break a thing that already works, khm, in a way.
I also understand that Ukraine-horde-PLC-hyped "Cossacks" DLC you can sell, while "AI Improvement" will never be a DLC (Like, it is you job, PDX, why charge money?).

It all reminds me of Hi-end PC, with double Nvidia Titan GTX, triple SSD, top soundcard made for audiophiles, and even some light bulbs and pricey pc case. But somebody forgot to get a strong cooler system and all this stuff, which makes this PC really good just overheats and doesn't work as intended.

Reactions:
You are quite right, I am not a programmer. But I 'guess' that AI in EU series works based on casual if, and, or, else system, and the quality of AI is determined mainly by the quantity of such conditions. Eg -
in case A do X
in case B do Y
in case A with condition C do Z, then X. If it fails - then it is case B, then do Y.

What did you expect, software emulation of a positronic brain?o_O

Reactions:
No, it is cover for the very first one.

They announced Cossacks 3. Cossacks 2 were already there, and were not that good.
Cossacks 2 was not as good as first one, but still have the biggest battles in game history, 64000 units is still a great deed.
I hope that third one will be a great game

Reactions:
Not necessary it has to be the main theme ;)
- well, for now the only thing from released DD's that mentioned cossacks, was cossack estate that would be available only to eastern tech countries that own steppe regions... that kind of too little if you ask me.
But the advertise bugs me a bit. Elite cavalry? A guy who sits on the Ottoman seat?o_O
- yeah i chuckled at that too:). Probably just an entrenched stereotype, like those polish hussars that always portrayed with those ginormous wings that in reality were used only on parades.:D

Reactions:
Convenient that while I study Russian history this is the new DLC, will be cool and I hope to see the ability to play Cossacks from one nation against those in another, maybe they can do raids or something or you can bribe a foreign Cossack estate to do something. I hope too that Pugachev is simulated so if the Cossacks don't have enough land they can cause a lot of trouble!

Reactions:
Cossacks 2 was not as good as first one, but still have the biggest battles in game history, 64000 units is still a great deed.
I hope that third one will be a great game

I didn't like Cossacks 2 because it was kinda too limited (strategically) while the battles while were big, were not things of their own as scirmish matches of Cossacks 1 were. So if they would make Cossacks 2 bigger (different wars/history periods) or more things to do, I'd like it.

Reactions:
Very cool trailer, awesome design.
However, the name itself is a bit unsuspected.

Reactions:
What did you expect, software emulation of a positronic brain?o_O
Of course not.
I expect that AI will be improved. And by "improved" I mean "vastly EXPANDED conditions list".
You can't make EU4 AI to improvise. But you can write down about every possible basic reaction to every action.
It is not hard to do, it is just boring.

But still, I don't get the hype about new features, while, personally, I would be happy to play EU4 as is, but with AI which gives you some challenge. No with "luck" modifiers, which is just lazy way to improve it state.
Oh, so many downvotes, I get it, nobody likes when you criticise their sacred cow.

Reactions:
europa_universalis_iv_cossacks-dlc-screenshot-28.png

My god...

Oooooh! Where did you find this screenshot?

Reactions:
That was the best video I've seen. I hope that the expansion includes some of the adjustments from Arumba. Especially, displaying total combat width on the Military screen.

Reactions:
in case A do X
in case B do Y
etc.
I understand that complexity of numerous actions and variants in a game like EU is really hard to predifine in such manner, but it still needs to be done.
And since with every patch and expansion the game gets many new features and mechanics, the initially dumb AI gets lost in such variety of possible actions towards him and his possible reactions.

Soo, as I've said "Yaay, cossacks! Many new mechanics to brutally destroy stupid AI !! Yaay!".

P.S.
I understand that Johan and fellas are all people and they just don't want to break a thing that already works, khm, in a way.
I also understand that Ukraine-horde-PLC-hyped "Cossacks" DLC you can sell, while "AI Improvement" will never be a DLC (Like, it is you job, PDX, why charge money?).

It all reminds me of Hi-end PC, with double Nvidia Titan GTX, triple SSD, top soundcard made for audiophiles, and even some light bulbs and pricey pc case. But somebody forgot to get a strong cooler system and all this stuff, which makes this PC really good just overheats and doesn't work as intended.

Allow me to soundly reassure you that at no point during your journey through this post of yours did you acquire the faintest of clues about what you were talking about.

Reactions:
Of course not.
I expect that AI will be improved. And by "improved" I mean "vastly EXPANDED conditions list".
You can't make EU4 AI to improvise. But you can write down about every possible basic reaction to every action.
It is not hard to do, it is just boring.

But still, I don't get the hype about new features, while, personally, I would be happy to play EU4 as is, but with AI which gives you some challenge. No with "luck" modifiers, which is just lazy way to improve it state.
Oh, so many downvotes, I get it, nobody likes when you criticise their sacred cow.

It also not how you write a Real Time AI for a game like EU... If you write an AI that responds to every action by traversing an complex if-else tree, and do that for every single tag in the game, the game would screech to a halt. Yeah, it might possibly make a few better choices, but every tick would take ages... Not to mention the maintenance-hell it would entail.

People don't disagree with you because "criticise the sacred cow", they disagree with you because you don't know what you're talking about...

Reactions:
Maybe paradox could release the old sources, so we can argue about it at least based on some 15 years old code:rolleyes:

Reactions:
And to be fare, a really strange choice of a name for DLC, considering that cossacks will be just one of the estates availble only for east europeans and not a main theme for DLC. o_O
As all EU4 DLC it's named after a book.

I encourage everyone to read the FULL reply to Mehmet IV. and what he wrote first. Just imagine yourself being the Sultan, the most powerful man in the world and then receiving such a reply! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks
Not only that by a bunch of horseherders.

europa_universalis_iv_cossacks-dlc-screenshot-28.png

My god...
Where did you find that screenshot?

I'm going to just assume this is playful banter and not bait and/or ignorance.
Well there's some truth to it, we know levithian is a book too but in the cases of mose eu4 dlc the book names also reflect what the expansion is about even for people who donöt know about the book. And levithian doesn't do that.

Not necessary it has to be the main theme ;)

ev_1m.jpg

But the advertise bugs me a bit. Elite cavalry? A guy who sits on the Ottoman seat?o_O
Nostalgia! And I'm not touching east european history with a tenfoot pole. That game was so awesome, like age of empries 2.0 (unlike age of empires 3 which kind of sucked)

Is that Cossacks 2? They recently announced a new game I recall.
No that's cossacs one, you can tell because it's not stupidly linear and is actually an RTS. As for them making a new game, I'll see it before I buy it this time.

No, it is cover for the very first one.

They announced Cossacks 3. Cossacks 2 were already there, and were not that good.
Seconded.

in case A do X
in case B do Y
etc.

P.S.

More along the lines of if A happens then make B C D E F G responses possible each weighted depending on additional factors.

Allow me to soundly reassure you that at no point during your journey through this post of yours did you acquire the faintest of clues about what you were talking about.
Haha fortunatly most of you fans know that too.

Reactions:

Still waiting for an answer here [Ask PDS anything] ;)
Clausewitz engine.

in case A do X
in case B do Y
etc.

While I am not suggesting that EU used Prolog, I will provide you with an example of what you can do with Prolog which does not require any imperative logic as your example does http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~sheila/384/w11/simple-prolog-examples.html - Recursion: Towers of Hanoi is quite beautiful

Reactions:
That trailer.

I knew something was up when Telltale had it's Steam sale.
Telltale: The Europa Universalis 4 :)

Looks pretty amazing!

Reactions: