Europa Universalis IV Subscription Now Available on Steam and Microsoft Windows

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's nice that they've finally made a way for this to be accessible to those of us late to the party. I've only discovered this game a few months ago and played enough on a friends version to know I'd like to buy it and what not. Problem I have is that the cheapest I've seen the full set of (lets be honest, basically essential) addons is around £250. I just can't justify spending that amount in one set to own one game. I'd happily pay even £100 for the full lot, and then full price for the forthcoming DLCs, but Paradox are just too over the top with the DLC spam to make it affordable for new players to join in

• 1Like
Reactions:
It's nice that they've finally made a way for this to be accessible to those of us late to the party. I've only discovered this game a few months ago and played enough on a friends version to know I'd like to buy it and what not. Problem I have is that the cheapest I've seen the full set of (lets be honest, basically essential) addons is around £250. I just can't justify spending that amount in one set to own one game. I'd happily pay even £100 for the full lot, and then full price for the forthcoming DLCs, but Paradox are just too over the top with the DLC spam to make it affordable for new players to join in
And this is why they have bought in the subscription service I guess.

Reactions:
I assume most companies saw that the music industry was making a ton of money off the massive increase in subscription users without understanding why it was implemented in the first place.

The music industry had grown insanely vast in it's content and the variety of it. Yet the old mentality of buying tracks for $10 simply did not work as a means to experience new artists for many people. Combined with the rise of piracy, video sharing sites and the attitude of how content is shared on the internet these days, music companies have adapted to the modern age where it's far easier to simply make it a subscription based service that works well for the user as well.

The reason why the subscription model worked so well for music is because of the vast array of content that they have at their disposal THAT CAN BE EXPERIENCED IN A SHORT AMOUNT OF TIME. A single music piece doesn't usually last longer than 6 minutes, albums don't stretch over the 2 hour mark and an artist's/band's entire record can be covered in less than a week. In this environment, subscriptions are beneficial as a long term plan because, it's the discovery of new artists/new bands that's the biggest appeal and their works can be covered in a timely fashion to not kick up too much fuss over the subscription model.

Meanwhile AA/AAA video games take at least 6 hours to complete (singleplayer and/or multiplayer) and moreso if they are sandboxes, RPGs...or...grand strategy games. Here, a subscription is taking the replacement of demos (member those?) because, the upfront cost to experience the whole product is too high. Yet even then, subscriptions aren't ideal as some games are built to be replayable and the last thing a person wants to see when they get back into their last save is a screen telling them to pay up or their access is denied not only to their current experience, but all those that came before.

What we have is a system not built to last (long-term) and developers/publishers will inevitably have to find a new way of making money.

And that's how you get the kind of pointless and grindy games like Anthem Avengers. If the AAA publishers realize that more and more governments crack down on lootboxes we might see even more subscriptions like this with even slower progressions.

Of course it is a cheaper way for newcomers to experience EU IV without having to pay $260 for a seven and half years old game. You COULD subscribe for 52 months with that money. But Paradox could have also made their pricing more sensible and the games somewhat more accessible to gain a broader audience years ago (which I'd say they already did with CK III which feels like a regular people game instead of EU IV which felt like rubbing my face against a concrete wall when I opened up for the first time)

• 1Like
Reactions:
In my mind, the old system of DLCs also describes a subscription system of sorts. You pay for the price of the DLC every year to get access to the new content. Effectively a yearly subscription. (I use the term "yearly" loosely here, especially wrt the 2018 money grub of "flavor packs").
I would disagree, the _big_ difference is with the DLC model is you own a license to use and do not rent it.

Granted, the advantage of DLCs is that, on paper, you can pick and choose which ones to buy and activate.
A few things.
First, the advantage is that I can stop paying and still access what I already payed for.

Secondarily, I can chose to skip any DLC that I feel are not done well (i.e poor quality, don't agree with the direction, or anything). This also allows me to vote with my wallet while still being able to enjoy the portions that I already own.

Lastly, the DLC system does not require you to activate all the DLC you own. I am sure there are some people that own a DLC but do not typically activate it (I am looking at you CKII Sunset Invasion). If they maintained this ability they would not be able to assume that everyone is running with all the same bits and bobs. This would mean that they would not be able to design as if all things are present.

I believe that this is misleading on Paradox's part. EU4 has "DLCs" theoretically separate from one another.
I do not think that is a safe or fair assertion. There had been changes that were not possible because a mechanic was included in a DLC instead of the accompanying free patch. Recently they have been moving some older DLC mechanics into the free patch side or into newer DLCs so they could add to or utilize that mechanic. That doesn't sound like the separation is theoretical.

EU3 had "Expansions", which required and assumed all previous content was already installed. I posit that, under the hood, the development cycle hasn't changed since EU3. The studio still develops and tests against the most recent and upgraded version of the game. It is impossible for a development studio the size of Paradox to assure quality of every new code introduced for all permutations of their 16 DLCs (and counting), running on a game engine that was not created with the DLC model in mind.
I do not think that is a safe or fair assertion. I believe there is some testing on all the permutations. I don't think the level of testing is the same on all permutations. They have access to metrics indicating what combinations are most in use and I think those get more weight. I also think they would know which DLCs affect which parts of their game and would add tests if the new DLC touches those parts.

Therefore, in my mind it is crucial that they offer to level the field of consumers by heavily incentivizing game owners to buy into any DLCs they are missing.

After that, when a theoretical next content update comes with 1.32, players can choose to:
* buy into the new content and game version 1.32 immediately
* stay on version 1.31 with no extra content until they buy it on a later date, perhaps on sale
* get the new content and game version 1.32 immediately by means of having opted in a subscription
They are not incentivizing anyone to buy anything with this, just rent it. If I was a subscriber, buying the new DLC does nothing for me.

The benefit you claim only exists if they remove independently purchasable DLCs and the ablitlty to turn off DLCs to which you have access.

Reactions:
This is precisely what I was agreeing with. I don't think that having a subscription model alongside the ability to buy DLCs independently will allow the developers to assume that everybody has all the DLCs. The development will remain more-or-less as before, with the addition of a subscription option for the customer.
My mistake.

Reactions:
And that's how you get the kind of pointless and grindy games like Anthem Avengers. If the AAA publishers realize that more and more governments crack down on lootboxes we might see even more subscriptions like this with even slower progressions.
I mean hey, they're already sorted with the Battlepass system (how about we make people pay AND GRIND for content).

Reactions:
A few things.
First, the advantage is that I can stop paying and still access what I already payed for.

Secondarily, I can chose to skip any DLC that I feel are not done well (i.e poor quality, don't agree with the direction, or anything). This also allows me to vote with my wallet while still being able to enjoy the portions that I already own.

Lastly, the DLC system does not require you to activate all the DLC you own. I am sure there are some people that own a DLC but do not typically activate it (I am looking at you CKII Sunset Invasion). If they maintained this ability they would not be able to assume that everyone is running with all the same bits and bobs. This would mean that they would not be able to design as if all things are present.
Sorry, it was unclear; when I talked about the "advantage" of DLCs, I meant in comparison with Expansions (i.e. assuming that everything is bought and activated), not in comparison with subscriptions.

I don't own very many games with DLCs attached, so my experience is not great, especially not among strategy games. In my mind, for a DLC to be considered optional, it must be a completely separate experience than the main game and/or other DLCs. Cosmetics DLCs are fine, as would be a theoretical DLC of a different historical bookmark spanning 1206-1400 in Asia. But if a DLC alters the base game, in my mind one of the two ways to play (with or without the DLC) is the "better" one in whichever measure (difficulty, fun, flavour). And simultaneously offering multiple ways to experience the *base* game with different price points is not what I think the DLC model was created to serve. If Ubisoft was derided for locking time savers and XP boosts behind paywalls, Paradox locking vassal's reconquest CBs behind DLCs is just as bad in my mind.
That said, I always buy new EU4 DLCs at launch as I'm a big fan. But I do it with the same resignation that other people buy EA's sports titles year after year, and not because I believe that it is the best way to serve and get paid for their work.

I agree with the rest of your post, there is no way for me to know what is happening under the hood, neither in programming nor accounting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
View attachment 693963

Paradox’s flagship grand strategy game will soon be available in an entirely new way. Europa Universalis IV’s expansion and additional content is now available via subscription letting you enjoy all of the expansions and add-ons that have been developed over the last eight years.

All new subscribers will gain immediate access to all additional content ever created for Europa Universalis IV, with no additional upfront cost. If you already own the base game and some of the expansions or content packs, this subscription does not remove that ownership, but will open up all content that you have not purchased.

Subscribers must already own the Europa Universalis IV base game. Subscription is handled in-game and can be accessed once you start up Europa Universalis IV. This is only available to players on Steam using Microsoft Windows.

• All 14 major expansions, including the religious battles of Art of War and Chinese imperial drama of Mandate of Heaven.
  • Access to the upcoming Leviathan expansion, and all future expansions and content developed for Europa Universalis IV.
  • 3 immersion packs, adding new mechanics for Spain, Great Britain and Russian nations.
  • 9 content packs, adding new unit designs, advisor portraits and music for dozens of different nations.
  • and many more improvements to the core game experience.
This subscription will be available on 18 March 2021 for $4.99/£3.99/€4.99 per month. This subscription will automatically renew at the end of every month until it is cancelled.

This is an additional service on top of our existing model and we are not replacing anything - we're just adding another option!
I am currently subscribed to the dlc subscription that you can access in-game, I am wondering how is this one different?

Reactions:
I'm predicting that a successful subscription services would lead to fewer sales with less substantial mark downs (because that would eat into the number of people subscribing for the same DLC), and that it will definitely mean there's almost no reason to reduce prices permanently....the entire problem of sticker shock goes away (as does the necessity for a subscription) if the game becomes cheaper to just buy outright.

This is one of my concerns. I have been slowly adding to my DLC collection, and I only have a few more unit packs to go. I would hate to see the subscription service serve as a replacement for the relatively frequent sales.

That said, I do think the subscription service can be a nice option for some people, depending on their preference.

Reactions:
Then buy instead. I support this initiative by Paradox based on the fact that it is a choice. If the option to buy is removed - for this or for future expansions/dlc - you will find me joining the baying mob, but as an option for customers I think it's brilliant.
I literally have all the dlcs what are you on about? I’m not complaining, just saying that I don’t like subscription based systems for games.

Reactions:
I literally have all the dlcs what are you on about? I’m not complaining, just saying that I don’t like subscription based systems for games.
Then, as long as the option to buy remains, you're good, surely? Why deny others the chance to subscribe? If buying becomes a non-option, then you'll have something to complain about; until then, it's all good, no?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
... I did stop buying from Paradox after HoI4
... I don't plan to buy anything else so count me out

To milk the cow in you...

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
What does this mean for future DLCs, financially speaking? Will they be cheaper/free/the same price as before?

Reactions:
So Paradox made the game inaccessible by silly pricing, then they are praised for introducing subscription which "solves" the problem they created in the first place....

Why don't you just cut the price or include DLCs older than e.g. 2 years in base game? Well, that would be way too easy, so we have cow milking instead.

In the end it just leaves bad taste in many players mouths. Good luck.

Reactions:
View attachment 693963

Paradox’s flagship grand strategy game will soon be available in an entirely new way. Europa Universalis IV’s expansion and additional content is now available via subscription letting you enjoy all of the expansions and add-ons that have been developed over the last eight years.

All new subscribers will gain immediate access to all additional content ever created for Europa Universalis IV, with no additional upfront cost. If you already own the base game and some of the expansions or content packs, this subscription does not remove that ownership, but will open up all content that you have not purchased.

Subscribers must already own the Europa Universalis IV base game. Subscription is handled in-game and can be accessed once you start up Europa Universalis IV. This is only available to players on Steam using Microsoft Windows.

• All 14 major expansions, including the religious battles of Art of War and Chinese imperial drama of Mandate of Heaven.
  • Access to the upcoming Leviathan expansion, and all future expansions and content developed for Europa Universalis IV.
  • 3 immersion packs, adding new mechanics for Spain, Great Britain and Russian nations.
  • 9 content packs, adding new unit designs, advisor portraits and music for dozens of different nations.
  • and many more improvements to the core game experience.
This subscription will be available on 18 March 2021 for $4.99/£3.99/€4.99 per month. This subscription will automatically renew at the end of every month until it is cancelled.

This is an additional service on top of our existing model and we are not replacing anything - we're just adding another option!
how can i buy this?

• 1Haha
Reactions: