Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica - Dev diary 3: Elective Monarchy & Rivals

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This. I really can't see why people keep saying that republics are bad, or that NR as the best form of republic. The volume of MP, (and the fact that it is focused on your preferred category) you get from short election cycles republics is borderline OP as it is, and given the events that fire at low RT, there's no real risk of becoming a monarchy unless you do something silly like mistiming a couple of diploannexations.

Ambrosinian in particular is downright ridiculous. Last time I played one, I couldn't actually spend all the MP I got.

I had this problem with Milan even without the republic government. It's the Milanese ideas combined with Imperial benefits (and some other choices I made).

Nice to see a decision for turning from a monarchy into a republic. I personally prefer republics at times, since it's easier to control your monarch points, and less issues when you change leader. I hope at some point they can add something so bigger countries can turn into republics. Especially somewhere like Ireland, who starts as a monarchy but as NIs to be better at republican tradition.

"Wants your patch notes: -200"

:rofl:

In all seriousness, more flavour features added to the game, like elective monarchies, are welcome :)