Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica - Dev diary 2: Dutch Republic & Ideas

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Dutch Republic
If you do not have the DLC, then the Dutch Republic is just another normal republic type with no special abilities.

First of all, the Dutch Republic do not get the normal election events. Instead they operate on a unique set of rules. They have a unique mechanic which is called “Statists vs Orangists”, which is how much power each side has in the Republic.

When the Statists are in power, you get +10 naval force limits and +5% trade power, while your republican tradition increase quickly, and when the Orangists are in power, you get +25% land forcelimits, and 10% cheaper stability, while the republican tradition does not increase by normal means.

If Statists are in power, then an election will be held if it has been at least 4 years since last election. You get two random candidates to pick from, one that will strengthen the Statists and one that will strengthen the Orangists.

If the Orangists are in power, then the current ruler is in power until he or she dies, or statists comes into power again.

You can not directly change the support for either of these, but there are a large set of events associated with the republic, that will impact the support.

Of course, it is now easier for the Netherlands to get the event allowing you to pick the Dutch Republic government form, as it will trigger within a decade or two after forming the nation.

attachment.php

Ideas & Policies
We added quite a lof of new modifiers that are used for ideas, policies and other parts of the game.
build_power_cost, global_ship_repair,vassal_forcelimit_bonus, years_of_nationalism, accepted_culture_threshold, culture_conversion_cost, diplomatic_annexation_cost and ship_durability.

There has been some minor tweaks to some existing ideagroups, most notably:
  • Grand Army is now 20% land forcelimits (down from 25%)
  • National Conscripts is now 10% faster regiment recruitment speed instead of +25% global manpower.
  • Consolidated infantry, cavalry and artillery cost ideas in Quantity into a single regiment cost idea.
  • Added ideas to Quantity: Forced Labor System (-20% building power cost) and Expanded Supply Trains (-10% land attrition).
  • Religious Ambition is now 25% cheaper culture conversion.

We added 3 new ideagroups. Humanism, Influence & Naval, with Maritime being the new name for the old naval ideagroup. Some ideas have been moved there from other ideagroups.

Humanist Ideas - ADM
Tolerance: +25% Religious Unity
Local Traditions: -2 Revolt Risk
Ecumenism: Heretic Tolerance +3
Indirect Rule: -10 Years Less Nationalism
Cultural Tiers: 50% less required for losing and gaining accepted cultures.
Benevolence: +0.33 Better Relations over Time
Humanist Tolerance: Heathen Tolerance +3
Bonus: -10% Idea Costs

Influence Ideas - DIP
Tribute System: +25 Vassal Income
Claim Fabrication: -33% Fabricate Claims Time
Integrated Elites: -25% Diplomatic Annexation Cost
State Propaganda: -10% AE
Diplomatic Influence: +5 Diplomatic Reputation
Postal Service: -25% Envoy Travel Time
Marcher Lords: +33% Forcelimits from Vassals
Bonus: Diplomatic Upkeep +1

Naval Ideas - MIL
Boarding Parties: +1 Leader Naval Shock
Improved Rams: Galley Power +10%
Naval Cadets: +1 Leader Naval Fire
Naval Glory: +100% Prestige from Naval Battles
Press Gangs: -10% Naval Maintainance
Oak Forests for Ships: Heavy Ship Power +10%
Superior Seamanship: +10% Naval Morale
Bonus: Ship Durability + 10%

attachment.php

Next week, we'll be back talking about Elective Monarchy & Religious changes....

Attachments

• eu4_48.png
    eu4_48.png
    2,3 MB · Views: 25.634
  • eu4_49.png
    eu4_49.png
    2,1 MB · Views: 25.917
Cultural Tiers: 50% less required for losing and gaining accepted cultures.
I can't think of a single other idea which is nearly as powerful as this one.

The accepted culture one is a really nice and unexpected addition. I quite like the look of those new ideas.

I can't think of a single other idea which is nearly as powerful as this one.

Ehm, I find one that is also pretty strong.

Integrated Elites: -25% Diplomatic Annexation Cost

Furthermore, a question Johan if you could answer please: Since you`re adding 3 new Idea Groups to the game can we expect in not so distant future: 1. a change in the game timeline or 2. the frequnecy of the idea group picks coming from Adm Tech?
Thanks in advance!

Really liking the look of the new Dutch Republic, seems like the last two expansions have been geared towards the Netherlands in some way or another.

I want Humanist and Influence now. Like right now. They add to my preferred play style a lot.

Dutch Republic looks nice. And I very much welcome more diversity in ideas. That makes choosing them more interesting and each game a bit more individual. Thanks!

Nerf Humanist Ideas already! ... please?

Both Humanist and Influence look unbalanced, especially the former. I will pick that idea first in every playthrough if it doesn't get nerfed. And I don't think it's just me. Literally every post that talks about Humanist idea recognizes its op.

Last edited:
We finally get an option to play as a more tolerant country? About time. :) I wish some people would stop trying to make the game harder for the rest of us.

Yeah.

I for one will NOT choose humanism as my first idea for my first game as Sweden or Brandenburg.
I will choose it as my first idea in my next Khorasan -> Mughals game. Finally, I can follow in Akbar's footsteps.

I'm wondering if there will eventually be an option to get more idea groups as it's very taxing for a nation that wants to be a colonial superpower opposed to a European one as they have to dedicate many of the groups to making them competitive in the colonial game.

The major problem with Influence is the lack of diplomats basically requiring you to pick up Diplomacy if you want to get the best out of it. Tolerance is probably the worst idea in the Humanist tree since you'll get 100% free Religious Unity if you get +3 tolerance, however this is negated a bit by being the first idea of the tree. Giving up the Deus Vult DB is also a big ask.

That said it's still hard to determine without getting to play around with the ideas. Even more so when we don't know what kind of policies there are for the new groups.