Europa Universalis IV: Origins Now Available!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
From the trading ports on the eastern coast to the gold mines of Mali, early modern Africa was a continent of rich kingdoms and cultural variety. Now, Europa Universalis IV: Origins brings this history to vivid life with new missions, events and regional flavor.

Europa Universalis IV: Origins includes:
  • Jewish Religion: The Ethiopian Jews of Beta Israel are included, and Jewish nations can choose from nine religious characteristics to accentuate their national strengths, with new flavor events.
  • Missions for Mali: Halt the decline of West Africa’s greatest medieval empire and reassert control of former vassals.
  • Missions for Songhai: Develop your provinces and claim the mantles of Mali and Timbuktu as the new rising power.
  • Missions for Kongo: Unite the peoples of the Congo River and confront the growing European threat.
  • Missions for Ethiopia: Ensure religious unity and prestige in the Kingdom of Solomon while unifying the nations of the African Horn. Also adds the noble Ç̌äwa regiments.
  • Missions for Ajuuraan: Control Indian Ocean trade and bring water to your desert provinces.
  • Missions for Kilwa: Focus on naval economic power, establishing a colonial empire across the seas.
  • Missions for Mutapa: Build on the legacy of the founders of Great Zimbabwe and exploit the riches of South Africa to dominate trade.
  • Minor Mission Additions: New mission options for Jolof, Mossi, Hausa, Oyo and Adal.
  • New Regional Mission Trees: New Missions for minor powers in Central, East and West Africa, and the African Horn, as well as new estate privileges for many nations and regions.
  • New Army Sprites: 4 new army sprites each for Congo, Great Lakes, Southern Africa and Bantu nations
  • Two New Missionary models: African Coptic and African Fetishist missionary animations added.
  • New Music: 12 minutes of new West African themed music, and 12 minutes of new East African themed music.

Europa Universalis IV: Origins is accompanied by a major update, free for all EU4 players. This update, called 1.32 Songhai, includes reworks of Institution adoption by non-European nations, changes to Catholic Curia actions, rebalancing of existing game concepts and many more changes.

This immersion pack is available for the suggested retail price of $9.99/£7.19 / € 9.99.

• 33Like
  • 8Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Why is the price in Euros the highest, and the price in pounds so discounted.
1636626014619.png

• 11Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Without wanting to nitpick, exchange rates are certainly a factor but this seems like an incomplete answer. According to the first post the DLC is 7.19 pound sterling and not 7.99, which amounts to 8.40 euros. Similarly, 9.99 USD amounts to 8.71 euros. Even allowing for rounding up to a nice number, both show a clear discrepancy with the price in euros.

I recall once reading about also correcting for things like the wealth level (e.g., the median income) in target countries, which is only fair, and additional costs like taxes and the like. For example, my country (the Netherlands) has a VAT of 21%. I'm not sure how it is implemented, i.e., whether I should divide the price by 1.21 (if 21% of the value is added) or multiply the price by 0.79 (if 21% of the price is deducted), but assuming the former (which is best for you) the remainder is about 8.25 euros. This is comparable to the price in USD, which (if I'm correct in extrapolating from Kickstarter campaigns) doesn't include taxes. However, if I recall correctly the VAT in the UK is 20%, meaning you would get 5.99 pound sterling (or 7.00 euros) after taxes, which is still a significant difference. Is this explained by a difference in wealth level between the UK and the EU? I always thought the wealth level in the UK was similar to that of other north-west European countries, while the price in euros would have to be corrected for the entire EU.

Anyhow, I don't think it's that pressing but if you do at some point find the time to give a more detailed answer (e.g., once the immediate post-launch rush of urgent gameplay questions and Steam reviews calms down a little ;)), or perhaps link to one if such an answer has been given in the past, that might help shed more light on the matter :)

On a related note, I also don't know how much commission Steam charges you (and I don't know if you're even allowed to disclose it). In any case, am I correct in assuming that you get a larger share of my money if I buy the expansion through the Paradox store? It's slightly less convenient since you don't support iDeal (Dutch stuff), but I recently acquired a credit card so it's now an option for me :)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Leviathan is still only 33% off? Guess I won't be using the new monuments. Was hoping you'd finally give up on selling it for that much just to try and move more copies.

• 3Like
Reactions:
On a related note, I also don't know how much commission Steam charges you (and I don't know if you're even allowed to disclose it). In any case, am I correct in assuming that you get a larger share of my money if I buy the expansion through the Paradox store? It's slightly less convenient since you don't support iDeal (Dutch stuff), but I recently acquired a credit card so it's now an option for me :)
@BjornB Apparently the Paradox Store does support iDeal. You might want to update the Faq page (https://www.paradoxplaza.com/faq-static-info-ca.html), it currently only mentions VISA, Mastercard and PayPal :)

Anyhow, got the game! Time to play!

Without wanting to nitpick, exchange rates are certainly a factor but this seems like an incomplete answer. According to the first post the DLC is 7.19 pound sterling and not 7.99, which amounts to 8.40 euros. Similarly, 9.99 USD amounts to 8.71 euros. Even allowing for rounding up to a nice number, both show a clear discrepancy with the price in euros.

I recall once reading about also correcting for things like the wealth level (e.g., the median income) in target countries, which is only fair, and additional costs like taxes and the like. For example, my country (the Netherlands) has a VAT of 21%. I'm not sure how it is implemented, i.e., whether I should divide the price by 1.21 (if 21% of the value is added) or multiply the price by 0.79 (if 21% of the price is deducted), but assuming the former (which is best for you) the remainder is about 8.25 euros. This is comparable to the price in USD, which (if I'm correct in extrapolating from Kickstarter campaigns) doesn't include taxes. However, if I recall correctly the VAT in the UK is 20%, meaning you would get 5.99 pound sterling (or 7.00 euros) after taxes, which is still a significant difference. Is this explained by a difference in wealth level between the UK and the EU? I always thought the wealth level in the UK was similar to that of other north-west European countries, while the price in euros would have to be corrected for the entire EU.

Anyhow, I don't think it's that pressing but if you do at some point find the time to give a more detailed answer (e.g., once the immediate post-launch rush of urgent gameplay questions and Steam reviews calms down a little ;)), or perhaps link to one if such an answer has been given in the past, that might help shed more light on the matter :)

From what I understand, the pricing points are selected based on what price points consumer is willing to pay in that particular market. If this were a physical product then there would be an arbitrage opportunity (seller in UK could just export to EU) but given the way this sale is done, it hardly matters. With regards to Euros, probably they want to look at which specific countries in Eurozone they are making most sales in. If they are primarily, let say Germany, Benelux etc. then you can see why they would price it higher than in UK.

Reactions: