Europa Universalis IV: Origins Immersion Pack Releases on November 11

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Will the changes do concentrate development be included in the patch to this DLC?
More likely to be Scandinavia according to a poll they did on what players want
If this DLC is any indication, Scandinavia doesn't seem like enough, more like a part of a DLC than a separate one. Scandinavia is just 4 countries. This is 7 main focus nations +5 additional ones + some regional stuff.

• 3Like
Reactions:
If this DLC is any indication, Scandinavia doesn't seem like enough, more like a part of a DLC than a separate one. Scandinavia is just 4 countries. This is 7 main focus nations +5 additional ones + some regional stuff.
Well it would be odd if they put it in a poll if they weren't planning on overhauling it. From what I saw, it was pretty overwhelming for Scandinavia, maybe they will give us some new formables with unique trees or maybe they will cover a few more countries in the baltic area like giving the Teutons a work over.

Will the changes do concentrate development be included in the patch to this DLC?

I expect those 3 area's have the most chance to be chosen.

Maybe the next update is just a free update or it combines multiple regions.

But both Denmark & Sweden are big & important enough for their own tree.
Livonia still misses ideas and I thought they where also focussing on cleaning those last few nation idea countries.
Other missing NI countries are all in/around persia if I'm not mistaken.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Scandinavia + the Baltic region.
But both Denmark & Sweden are big & important enough for their own tree.
Livonia still misses ideas and I thought they where also focussing on cleaning those last few nation idea countries.

That's still just 7 tags at most (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Scandinavia, Teutonic Order, Livonian Order and Riga), including Riga, which I would find unlikely to get a mission tree. And it doesn't leave room for any minor additions as Germany, Poland, Lithuania and Russia already have stuff. Although Poland and Lithuania could have their trees updated and expanded. And there are plenty of problems with how the Polish monarchy is represented that could use an update.

• 4Like
Reactions:
November 11? My son due date! Seems like a good auspice so I'll buy.
Hopefully Portugal will be getting some attention on the following patch ;)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
What. Let me see if I got it right. All this pack adds is 7 mission trees, 5 small mission trees, 4 regional small trees, a unit pack, OST and a mechanic for the most irrelevant religion in the base game.

10 Dollars for this? Really?
Nobody's forcing you to buy this one though. There are no QoL additions. No macro builder, or subject interactions that you're locked out of. No war mechanics like transfer occupation or any other mechanic you're locked out of.

Want to play the new mission trees or with Jewish religion: buy. If not, don't.

I for one really like this new price structure. It means that I get the music and unit packs as well for supporting the game I love.

As for my personal experience: It of course depends on your circumstances and where someone lives. But in many countries 10 EUR isn't all that much anymore in general. The pizza I just ate was 16 EUR. I'm suspecting this expansion will give me a fair bit more pleasure than that pizza.

• 11Like
Reactions:
If we had sold it seperately like a few years ago.

2 music packs.. 1.99$ x 2
1 unit pack 1.99$
new mechanics + missions.. 5.99$

total price: 11.98$

These days we bundle and reduce the price instead.

I guess my problem here isn't even with the content of the pack but with the marketing. All that the bullet points say that the DLC contains is mission trees and a mechanic for the least played religion in the game (even Zoro is more relevant). Is that really all that there is to it? Well, by reading the DDs we do know that some of the missions will unlock new Estates privileges, which is cool.

But is really it? Past immersion packs used to introduce small mechanics coupled with tri-buttons (GC had flagships, naval barrage, pirates and Holy Orders, and Third Rome had Siberian Frontier, Orthodox Mechanics and Streltsy).

The price argument can go either way. I always buy music packs and DLCs and never buy unit pack so, theoretically, I'm not seeing any discount nor any price increase. However, if I were to ignore all music packs and unit packs I'll be paying more for the new content than I would have two years ago.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Nobody's forcing you to buy this one though. There are no QoL additions. No macro builder, or subject interactions that you're locked out of. No war mechanics like transfer occupation or any other mechanic you're locked out of.

Want to play the new mission trees or with Jewish religion: buy. If not, don't.

I for one really like this new price structure. It means that I get the music and unit packs as well for supporting the game I love.

As for my personal experience: It of course depends on your circumstances and where someone lives. But in many countries 10 EUR isn't all that much anymore in general. The pizza I just ate was 16 EUR. I'm suspecting this expansion will give me a fair bit more pleasure than that pizza.

See my post below. My issue isn't with the price nor the missions per say but that they announced the pack as pretty much JUST being missions where in the past Immersion packs have been announced with missions being important but not the end all and be all of the pack.

Reactions:
optional

adjective

available to be chosen but not obligatory.

Just posting the definition of optional here in case you forgot it

Thank you Mr. Robert Cawdrey. If It wasn't for you I would have never known that such a word even existed in the English language nor that it applied to this situation.

tbf, you're also paying for the last ~6 months of their development time which includes the free patch for every player that is not buying the dlc. You don't need to buy it, it's only an immersion pack. If that doesn't fit your "fun per dollar" expectation then don't get it and enjoy the free patch.

I've used that argument in the past too whenever people say that patches are free; no they are not and PDX tries their best to make you confuse what is part of the free package and what is part of the paid package (don't believe me? Watch their GDC presentation on selling expansions). Thing is, it isn't just the new shiny piece of DLC that pays for the bills, no, it is their entire back catalogue of DLCs + the base game. And you know what EU 4 has a lot? DLCs. You know how many pieces of DLCs they sold per year? Again, on their GDC talk they showed numbers and, just as an example, Common Sense for four years straight sold 50k units per year.

Thank you for so generously reminding me that I'm not obliged to buy DLC. You can see on my showcase (it that's how it is called) that I did opt to buy almost every single piece of content for EU 4 aside from Mare Nostrum, Leviathan and GC. Why am I saying this? Because I really like the game and wants to see it being successful and I find it more productive to point out what I think is an issue instead of going "don't like it don't buy it".

You don't even know if I intended to, or if I intend to, buy it.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I guess my problem here isn't even with the content of the pack but with the marketing. All that the bullet points say that the DLC contains is mission trees and a mechanic for the least played religion in the game (even Zoro is more relevant). Is that really all that there is to it? Well, by reading the DDs we do know that some of the missions will unlock new Estates privileges, which is cool.

But is really it? Past immersion packs used to introduce small mechanics coupled with tri-buttons (GC had flagships, naval barrage, pirates and Holy Orders, and Third Rome had Siberian Frontier, Orthodox Mechanics and Streltsy).

The price argument can go either way. I always buy music packs and DLCs and never buy unit pack so, theoretically, I'm not seeing any discount nor any price increase. However, if I were to ignore all music packs and unit packs I'll be paying more for the new content than I would have two years ago.
Yeah, I like how they used a separate point for each individual mission tree. That's a new one. Though this type of "clever marketing" is sadly common all over the place, and EU4's marketing has especially never seemed at all honest to me. Not surprised at it getting worse.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I am really looking forward to EU V now. Not sure how I feel about more EU IV content. I feel EU IV has run its course for me as a player. I used to feel excited about new EU IV DLCs earlier, but not so much any more.

• 3Like
Reactions:
See my post below. My issue isn't with the price nor the missions per say but that they announced the pack as pretty much JUST being missions where in the past Immersion packs have been announced with missions being important but not the end all and be all of the pack.
Sure, but development has changed where these days Missions are the central part that also introduce the new mechanics, where in the past the mission trees were some kind of 'guide' but no too inspired as well. Just look at GB's and Russia's mission trees and compare them to the mission trees being released.

If those new mechanics introduced through the mission trees are good enough, I'll leave up to you to decide.

They also explicitely said: 'no new mechanics until our bug backlog is fixed'. Which goes hand in hand with the above.

Reactions:

It is a tricky line to balance on. The idea is however that Immersion Packs are just that, immersion. It's meant to enhance the experience of playing in a certain region, and if you're not interested in playing in that region you can skip it.

When we mix too much immersion focused content limited to geographical regions with "essential" game mechanics it also upsets people that they have to pay for everything to get the bits and pieces they do want.

• 10Like
Reactions: