Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century out now!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
STOCKHOLM - 11 December 2018 - From Madrid to Mexico to Manila, the Spanish Crown had the one of the first empires where the sun never set. From the fall of Granada to the Dutch Wars of Independence, Spanish power always had to be taken into consideration. But its road to dominance ran through local rivals like Portugal and Morocco, and its control over the vital sea routes was challenged by English navies and ruthless privateers. What path will you take?

Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century is the newest immersion pack for Paradox’s classic game of empire and exploration in the early modern era, and it is available today on Steam, the Paradox store and other major online retailers for $9.99 / £7,15 / €9,99.

Golden Century focuses its improvements on parts of the game central to the kingdoms of and around Iberia,including new mission trees for the major historical powers and a hypothetical Andalusia if you manage to turn back the armies of Catholicism. But Golden Century also lets you live out your childhood dream of being a pirate king, ruling a republic of brigands, sending your ships to finance realm by raiding the trade routes of more powerful rulers.

Other features of Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century include:

• Minority Settlements: Settle your distant colonies with homeland minorities, promoting greater cohesion at home, while adding more diversity to your subject nations.
  • Establish Orders: Iberian nations can appoint Jesuit, Franciscan or Dominican clerics to govern their states to reduce unrest or ease conversion.
  • New Mission Trees: New missions and objectives for the nations of Iberia and Northwest Africa, including Spain and Andalusia.
  • Pirate Republics: Raise the black flag and pillage the high seas, or defeat these scourges of humanity..
  • Flagships: Appoint a Flagship to lead your navy, adding combat and trade power to your fleets.
  • Naval Barrage: Use your ships to help besiege coastal forts by bombarding the walls.
  • New Army Models: New army and naval models for Castile/Spain, Aragon, Portugal, Leon/Navarra, Pirates, Sale and Galicia
  • Plus over ten minutes of new original music.

Golden Century is accompanied by the free Spain update, available to everyone who owns Europa Universalis IV. This update will include newly detailed maps of Iberia, North Africa and the Spanish Main, as well as revised National Ideas for many nations in the Western Mediterranean, new Government Reform options and other changes for all players.

Last edited:
I'm afraid I will not be buying this. :( For all the wrong reasons.

I have been contained so far, but I will take this symbolic opportunity to make a more serious rundown of why I am personally upset with this release.

First of, I can safely say that Paradox has, unfortunately, let down a lot of people very severely. Not just in the announced features or in the missed potential but also in the long standing corrections necessary to tiny things like province capitals, city placements and sea zone names that literally require a few seconds each to tweak, yet have been lingering since EU4's original release five years ago. Going by DD:

1. The map is problematic in borderline grotesque ways; starting with a mistake in the Lleida province that was corrected after 11 pages on the first DD, both POR, CAS and ARA players have made it very clear that none of the most important additions to any of the map's regions were made and, in the case of Valéncia, the additions made were done so very incorrectly with ahistorical borders that don't serve true gameplay benefits (like properly delaying attacks on Valencia). Trade goods were not shown and @navaluiki "A few suggestions for Iberia" was acknowledged for little avail, even though most people familiar with how the map is edited know most suggestions could easy be applied and likely will be by dedicated modders;
  2. The AI corrections were fine and will likely be the biggest benefit of the DLC :);
  3. The Holy Orders are riddled with historical inconsistencies, namely being for some reason limited to Iberian Catholics and for some reason including the Jesuits despite the game starting at 1444. Again, no concern for what the fans were claiming for OR accuracy over gimmicks;
  4. While not linked to the DD itself, the Swedish Flagship +100 cannons feature was announced as real and treated as such for weeks on end despite an appropriate barrage of criticisms, only to be retracted two Development Diaries later in such a discrete way people were still wondering if it was official by the time the patch note was release, revealing a bad, mocking attitude towards the fans;
  5. The POR National Traditions and Ideas remain by far the worst of Western Europe, with a borderline lazy repetition of a trade efficiency buff and ZERO military ideas, even though forum posters, me included, have been requesting revamps for years and made pretty reasonable suggestions. Again, complete lack of concern for feedback, real historical concern or consideration over the desire to portray the game elements as borderline memetic gimmicks. As for the Mission Trees, they remain meek and lack entertainment value for endgame periods, with Portugal's Mission Tree in particular being nothing but a one-province-conquest trail bloated so as to seem whole some, but lacking serious projects like evangelizing Japan, colonizing Labrador, uniting with Galiza or achieving Mare Clausum;
  6. The Maghreb mission trees and ideas were mostly fine but contained serious oddities like giving Morocco, an Atlantic power, a galley combat bonus instead of light ship combat bonus;
  7. Then the Pirate Republics and, tragically, this seems like the highlight of this DLC and the only place any serious work was done on, to the point the entire DLC's features and even its map changes look catered to making the experience of playing EU4 fun for Pirate Republics and not Iberian Kingdoms. This is a critical issue :confused:;
  8. While not too bad in itself, the 8th DD revealed the true extent of everyone's concerns, with a record-breaking 522 Respectfully Disagrees to only 83 Agrees as of this moment. This the situation was allowed to reach this point in a forum left to fester (see below) is a big indicator of how bad everything to this point was.
  9. The achievements had almost nothing to do with Iberia itself and didn't even include anything new for Aragon or especially Portugal. Again, Pirate Republics were the focus here. Promises were made to readdress feedback, but its honestly too little to late
  10. And this finally brings us to the only addressing of feedback done, in the form of the Common Sense and Art of War main features being brough to the game. I support this, I do :) However, we were all looking for serious responses to the countless issues pointed so far.
And tragically this concludes in a DLC that was riddled with problems both in itself and its announcing stage. We are told that the developers read every feedback post and try to adapt, but there is literally zero evidence of it over two months asides from @RodDel 's comment in Navaluiki's thread. As a matter of fact, in just a couple of weeks people's lists and lists and lists of perfectly reasonable concerns were seemingly completely ignored and all signs point towards Paradox putting the "Iberia" debacle on a shelf and moving on to its next DLC.

Without wanting to detract, this is shameful behavior and worthy of a boycott call. There is nothing about this DLC that is done with an ounce of real investment in any of the areas it was advertised to. After surfing the threads very carefully and following the DDs for the past four weeks or so, it is very clear this DLC was done with the single intent of introducing Pirate Republics and ticking the "Iberia DLC Done" box for another five years. This is especially glaring in comparison to other DLCs with far more work put into them, like Rule Brittania.

And the way the forum posters have been treated, supporters of the DLC or not, has been downright reprehensible, being repeatedly punished for voicing their concerns with either silence or worse.

So, to conclude, considering there are wonderful fans in the forum and wonderful modders on steam who try very hard to make their voices heard and fill the gaps and the errors of this game, I will not be purchasing this DLC. It would be punishing them by encouraging the developer team to repeat the behavior that was displayed in this product. o_O

I will be awaiting the future of EU4's development and anxiously away the road map that @DDRJake announced, but as of now I have zero reason to pay even a single dollar on this game or even expect said roadmap to be about Iberia itself and not simply whats in store for the game in general.

Last edited:
Extremely lackluster. One ugly Memelesque province to Portugal, a nerfing of Castillian ideas, lacking of adequate defense against France for Iberians... Naval barrage is the only semi cool addition.

They actually did not bother to change out the Jesuits. It would literally have taken you 30 minutes (if that much) to come up with some other religious order, since the mechanic makes little in and of itself, to cover this massive historical gap - they were formed in 1540 and you already have an in game event about them... "Historical"

Last edited:
people should have guessed there will be no extreme changes like institions, ages etc. when johan and wiz left EUIV for other pdx games.
sad but no johan no great changes, dont expect much.
QLxlGRE.gif

As long as there are free updates, I have no reason to complain. I think many just overreact to the lack of content in this DLC. No one force you to buy it. I also won't buy it myself until it is on sale in the future. But I still respect the lovely developers who have been continuously supporting EU4 for all these years.

So, when are we getting an Iberian DLC? That region really needs some love... :rolleyes:

Portugal could use some provinces, the religion orders could use some real gameplay instead of a press button for bonus 'mechanic'.

Anyway, you guys finaly did it! This is the first DLC I will not be buying... very disapointed... Nothing that makes me want to play the game and/or the region, diferent from all other dlc's so far.

So, when are we getting an Iberian DLC? That region really needs some love... :rolleyes:

Portugal could use some provinces, the religion orders could use some real gameplay instead of a press button for bonus 'mechanic'.

Anyway, you guys finaly did it! This is the first DLC I will not be buying... very disapointed... Nothing that makes me want to play the game and/or the region, diferent from all other dlc's so far.
Portugal needed so much more than more provinces additions... It needed NI's that don't look like Italian merchant republics', especially (powerful) naval ones and at least one land one, it needed being able to rely on itself instead of ahistorically rely on Castille, it needed specific machanics to dissociate trade posts and colonization (would also benefit Netherlands gameplay), better base power to not be at least 50 years late reaching India and 100 reaching China and Japan in all games...

Last edited:
Paradox, I'd like you to think about something. I haven't bought Golden Century and Dharma because the features don't interest me, I've disabled Mare Nostrum and Rule Britannia because they introduced features that frankly irk me (corruption ugh), and I rolled back to 1.25 and I'm thinking of going back to 1.18 because that was my prime fun time with EUIV. Don't you mind that each new DLC and patch don't seem to make the game better or more fun, but just worse or more bland? Shouln't it be the opposite? What's going on here?

People seem to be forgetting that this is an IMMERSION PACK, not the traditional standalone DLC like "Common Sense" "Dharma" or "Art of War", which contained plenty of new changes and features.

There is a difference between the two. This is about the same content wise as "Third Rome" and "Rule Britannia".

I have 2 question about this DLC:

1. Why in "Claims in Aragon" mission for Castile you give "Restoration of Union" cb and in the next mission "Recover Portugal" you demand to conquer both Portuguese mainland states?
2. Is AI Burgundy scripted to rival PC Castile?

For all the vocal dislike of this DLC, it still seems to have reached the top sellers list on steam, as of this post from what I can see its #1 in the US, and #3 globally.

From Madrid to Mexico to Manila, the Spanish Crown had the one of the first empires where the sun never set. From the fall of Granada to the Dutch Wars of Independence, Spanish power always had to be taken into consideration. But its road to dominance ran through local rivals like Portugal and Morocco, and its control over the vital sea routes was challenged by English navies and ruthless privateers. What path will you take?

Why do you advertise something that this DLC doesn't portrait AT ALL in ANY WAY?

The marketing deparment once again carrying out all the wieght over their shoulders saving the dev's ass with their amazing advertising lines.

For all the vocal dislike of this DLC, it still seems to have reached the top sellers list on steam, as of this post from what I can see its #1 in the US, and #3 globally.

Completely irrelevant to the actual quality of this DLC, which could be simply piggybacking on the accumulated success and fame of previous much better releases and good marketing.

People seem to be forgetting that this is an IMMERSION PACK, not the traditional standalone DLC like "Common Sense" "Dharma" or "Art of War", which contained plenty of new changes and features.

There is a difference between the two.

In case you are refering to me asking for a mechanic dissociating colonization and trade posts, I think an immersion pack about iberia should be at least good when it comes to Iberia. Especially if the immersion pack also focuses on off-topic things like pirates.
Even excluding the lack of new content, basic fixing is not even done, like misplaced and wrong capital for Algarve province or Viseu being the capital of Beira whereas it's now part of that new irrelevant province.
Is it forgivable to you after an "immersion pack" ?

Last edited:
Completely irrelevant to the actual quality of this DLC, which is piggybacking on the accumulated success and fame of previous much better releases and good marketing.

To me it says that despite the vocal opinions of its quality on the forums and Reddit - their is still enough people content with what it adds and willing to buy the DLC that it still entered the top sellers list.