• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome to the third development diary for Europa Universalis 4: El Dorado. Today, we’ll be talking about America and Liberty… and no, it’s not about the USA. Specifically, we’ll be talking about the Mesoamerican and South American Inti and Maya religions added in the expansion, and the new Liberty Desire system included in the free patch.

Maya
The Maya were divided into a large number of city-states vying for supremacy. In the past, these states were united in a large confederation called the League of Mayapan until infighting shattered the league. In El Dorado, we’ve attempted to simulate this expansion and contraction through Religious Reforms similar to the ones available to the Nahuatl (for details, see El Dorado Dev Diary 1). For a Mayan nation to pass a reform, they will need to own at least 20 provinces, have positive stability, no revolts, and no overextension. This is a little daunting.

Upon passing a reform, a Maya state will lose about half its territory, shrinking to a size of 10 core provinces determined by culture, religion and distance to capital. Other provinces will break away, joining existing nations or forming new nations and requiring you to reconquer them again. For each reform you have passed, you will be able to keep hold of more territory, retaining an extra province in addition to the original 10. As with the Nahuatl, when the last reform is passed and you border a Western nation, you will be able to reform your religion, getting a tech boost and gaining the permanent benefit of the religious reforms.

The Maya religion starts with +1 Tolerance of the True Faith and +1 Possible Advisors and their reforms give -10% Land Maintenance, -2 Global Unrest, +10% Infantry Power, +1 Colonist and -20% Core-Creation cost.

Inti
Where the Maya and Nahuatl religions are about expansion and contraction, the Inti faith is about maintaining the authority of the Sapa Inca by having the people worship him as a God. Inti nations have an Authority value that goes up from owning vast stretches of territory, and goes down when the ruler grants autonomy to a province (either from granting autonomy via by the grant autonomy action, being forced to by rebels, or choosing to do so in an event). Authority is also affected by a number of unique events added for the Inti religion. Authority reduces unrest and makes it cheaper to increase stability.

An Inti state that has 100 Authority and owns at least 10 provinces can pass a Religious Reform, but doing so will remove all their Authority and spark a civil war as a pretender exploits the loss of authority to attempt to seize the throne for themselves. After all, every reformer is challenged if they go too far.

If you lose this civil war, two Religious Reforms are lost, greatly setting back your progress towards reforming your religion.

As with the Nahuatl and Maya, when the last reform is passed and you border a Western nation, you will be able to reform your religion, getting a tech boost and gaining the permanent benefit of the religious reforms. Because the Inti religion does not have the same cycle of expansion and contraction as other two, Inti religious reforms are generally weaker than those of the Maya and the Nahuatl, but easier to accomplish.

The Inti religion starts with +1 Tolerance of the True Faith and -0.05 Monthly Autonomy in all provinces and their reforms give +10% Manpower Recovery Speed, +1 Colonist, +0.5 Yearly Legitimacy, +0.05 Land Morale and -10% Core-Creation Cost.

As the Nahuatl reforms were not finalized in DD1, I will also take the time to share them: -0.05 War Exhaustion, +1 Diplomatic Relations, +5% Discipline, +1 Colonist and -20% Stability Cost Modifier.

Liberty Desire
In Conquest of Paradise, we introduced the concept of Liberty Desire for Colonial Nations, measuring their desire to break away from their parent country, but the system has always been a bit too simplified revolving almost entirely around tariffs and very rarely resulting in said Colonial Nations winning their independence.

In the 1.10 patch, we will be introducing a major rework of Liberty Desire that turns it into a much deeper and more interesting system, but also expands it to all other subjects such as Vassals and Personal Union juniors. In 1.10, each subject has a Liberty Desire towards their Overlord, calculated based on a large number of factors such as opinion, diplomatic reputation, relative power, and relative diplomatic technology levels. Certain subject types like Marches and Client States are more loyal and thus have inherently lower Liberty Desire, while the Daimyos of Japan are an unruly bunch and have a large bonus to their LD. Vassals will also be aware of the power of all vassals relative to their liege, and their Liberty Desire will go up if they think that they could, together, bring you down. (This might even tame early game France - a little.)

While Liberty Desire is lower than 50, the subject will be considered ‘Loyal’ (as seen in their attitude). They will dutifully pay taxes, send their armies to help you in war, and refuse any offers of Support for Independence.

If Liberty Desire is above 50, but below 100, the Vassal is considered ‘Disloyal’. They will refuse to pay taxes and tariffs, won’t send their armies to help you in war (only defending their own territory) and will both look for foreign powers to support their independence and seek to ally with other rebellious subjects of their liege. If they find allies and supporters, their Liberty Desire goes up by an amount depending on the power of said supporters and allies.

At 100, the subject will be ‘Rebellious’. They will not only refuse to pay taxes and send help, but will declare war for independence the moment they think they have a shot at winning. When a subject declares war for independence, they will automatically call in all other subjects of their liege that they are allied to, and all independence supporters of both themselves AND their allies, meaning that their liege can be faced with quite the independence war indeed.

All in all, this system is meant to make vassals feel more lifelike - they are no longer mere slaves to their liege’s whims, but independent entities with their own goals who may turn on their ‘overlord’ if he does not take care to maintain their loyalty.

attachment.php

Check out all the videos for #EuropaUniversalis IV: El Dorado expansion here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqRhPbyFDQWjGgEWYgQwby-H4Lm7xrNGD

Attachments

• eu4_11.png
    eu4_11.png
    2,4 MB · Views: 42.744
Last edited by a moderator:
First! :D

Also, awesome stuff.

I guess next DD will be the last one and featuring new Exploration mechanics and maybe in 2 weeks El Dorado will come? :)

Last edited:
Damn... :)

Awesome!

Pretty nice. Two questions.

1) Are there nations left in the cold in Mesoamerica? As the old, tasteless Animists/Shamanists? If yes, you should bundle them somewhere, if you are dead set on internal gameplay being exclusively flavored.
2) Does diploannexation increase the vassal's liberty desire?

Vassal rework is very interesting, will definitely mean a revamp of certain OPM starting strategies ^^

You didn't even read it yet!

I correctly predicted it will be awesome - if it weren't I would edit this post :p

Maya/Inti religion are fascinating but regional, meanwhile new vassal system is going to result in really interesting situations happening over the course of history. Take that, great powers.

...can Ai Protectorates cancel protectorate?

It looks like Americas are going to be really polished with their unique mechanics, geopolitics and - finally - flavourful events.

In the far future I would love to see a DLC or patch taking care of Eastern Religions and South East Asia... Or hell the entire Southern and Eastern Asia, Sikhs and China also need love.

Pretty nice. Two questions.

1) Are there nations left in the cold in Mesoamerica? As the old, tasteless Animists/Shamanists? If yes, you should bundle them somewhere, if you are dead set on internal gameplay being exclusively flavored.
2) Does diploannexation increase the vassal's liberty desire?

1) No, there's a few animists in South America but Mesoamerica is all new religions.
2) Yes.

When a subject declares war for independence, they will automatically call in all other subjects of their liege that they are allied to, and all independence supporters of both themselves AND their allies, meaning that their liege can be faced with quite the independence war indeed.

Well, promise to create interesting situations.

Have you thought about a diplomatic action to increase the LD of a subject? Maybe limited to espionage idea group.

Is there going to be anything special for the Muisca? Afterall, they were, in all likelyhood, the origin of the El Dorado myth (as reflected in one of their NIs).

Yes with that I hope I may finally be able to resume my Iron Man New Spain game as I am vastly more powerful than Spain but can't revolt against them as the AI manages to keep the tariffs below 50% (almost 1800 owning more than half of North America through conquest but I can't revolt against Spain).

Is there going to be anything special for the Muisca? Afterall, they were, in all likelyhood, the origin of the El Dorado myth (as reflected in one of their NIs).

They get a bunch of DHEs.

It appears the pagan religion group is going to get pretty big with these new religions and at least Norse with the custom nations. And especially if you import a save from CK2. Speaking of which, are there any plans to slightly update the setup in the Americas if you export a CK2 save with SI active? Like updating the religions and maybe making them fully reformed from the start?

I have to say I might even buy this DLC if the next Dev Diary changes exploration features like LD. And yeah I know this feature is free but I dont even care what inner mechanics they add to countries that I will never play.

Nice, now we can simulate the complicated relation between Ottoman Empire and its vassals. A good thing, it will be to add the of changing the disloyal rulers of your vassals for the cost of Diplomatic and Military points and possibility of independence war. Also Vassals should have the option to make secret diplomatic actions with the liege' rivals

Is religion being reformed global effect, similar to "disable_papacy = yes" command disabling cardinals for all nations, or is reformed religion separate from old one, like reformed vs "old" pagans in CK2? Will one Inti nation reforming its religion, reform it for all other Inti nations?