Europa Universalis IV: DLC Render Pictures Archive

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
New Eastern European/East Asian/Muslim generic models are sorely needed.

I think making models for minor countries that usually disappear in a few years is a waste of time and resources. They should cover broader groups, currently untouched, like the already mentioned Eastern European, East Asian, Middle Eastern groups, and other ethno-cultural regions, like Malaya/Indonesia/East Indies region (I can't understand why did they never released a single unit pack, like Majapahit for instance, which could be extended via modding to the rest of the region).

I think making models for minor countries that usually disappear in a few years is a waste of time and resources. They should cover broader groups, currently untouched, like the already mentioned Eastern European, East Asian, Middle Eastern groups, and other ethno-cultural regions, like Malaya/Indonesia/East Indies region (I can't understand why did they never released a single unit pack, like Majapahit for instance, which could be extended via modding to the rest of the region).
Not just that. There are many major countries who still don't have unique unit models at all. If you play Hungary for instance you're stuck with hideous old generic eastern units forever. I'm serious about how bad they are. Like. When I found out forming Rome gave you generic eastern unit models, that's when I finally caved and bought imperator. As a premium unit model pack. (though the game itself did eventually grow on me). They were just bad enough for me to justify it to myself. Also huge swathes of asia are still the terrible generic eastern unit model. As someone who loves playing in Malaya-Indochina, Ayutthaya and Lan Xang being like the only tags with units that aren't the terrible generic eastern unit models is a little frustrating. The request for new muslim unit models is more of a thing for client states/modding/conversions though I guess. Since, admittedly. The majority of countries that used muslim units now have their own unique units.

There are so so so many places that have Eastern European units and East Asian units that don't have anything though and it's a little annoying. Like almost all the Russian minors, and a few countries you very rarely see released from Lithuania have unique units, but countries you are guaranteed to see every game like Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia, and so on don't.

I think i saw in one of the relatively recent dev screenshots, a Hungarian soldier using the Lithuanian model from Third Rome. I sincerely hope they haven't decided just to make one of the already existing units, be a representative of all other Eastern tech units. Hungary has a ton of potential of having a unique looking model. Same goes for the Balkan minors such as Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Ragusa, Albania, etc. These units could be a really nice project for artists to go crazy, since they can incorporate so many different styles into those Balkan units. Similar thing goes to the Greek and Georgian minors, Trebizond, etc.. I sincerely hope they won't just assign one existing model to them all..

I think with the upcoming Balkan rework, we'll get a Balkan Unit Pack, including hungarian units too :)

I would love to believe that entirely, but this screen kinda sets the bar low for me. Hopefully i am wrong! Now this is taken from the DD about mercenaries, so maybe these are just the foreign mercs and the vanilla guy to the left is indeed Hungarian (might be Serbian though), in which case there is still hope :p

6th%20Aud%20DD%20local%20manpower.jpg

EDIT: Damn, i need to learn to read entire DDs. Literally below it they stated that foreign mercs use skins from origin nation.

I think making models for minor countries that usually disappear in a few years is a waste of time and resources.
SO... basically the entirety of Rule Britannia, Third Rome, and Golden Century :p
I can't understand why did they never released a single unit pack, like Majapahit for instance, which could be extended via modding to the rest of the region
Same. I'm surprised they haven't released a standalone unit pack since the art team is getting a year between GC and the European DLC. Hopefully the European unit pack is suitably massive.
If you play Hungary for instance you're stuck with hideous old generic eastern units forever
I'd be surprised if Hungary doesn't get unique models this patch. The Balkans are getting updated and they are right next door. But, it's happened before so could be wrong.
huge swathes of asia are still the terrible generic eastern unit model.
I'm fairly certain the next project after the European update will be SEA. It's Neondt's pet area and he's expressed interest in updating the region.

SO... basically the entirety of Rule Britannia, Third Rome, and Golden Century :p

Exactly, lol. And that's how the thing has been handled lately.

Don't get me wrong, I love how the new models look on the map, and I love their attention to detail due to research (in most of them). I just think the effort should be aimed to a broader scale: regions and groups of culturally similar countries first, and then maybe some minors to provide a little flavour.

Take a look to India, for instance. The whole subcontinent was covered by three huge regional/cultural groups of unit models in the Indian Subcontinent Unit Pack (plus ships): Hindu, Muslim and Bengali, plus one unique set for Vijayanagar. Then, years later, a lot of unique models for individual minors, powers and formables were added in Dharma (plus elephants). I think this is how the rest of the world should've been covered. First, broader groups. Then, individual tags.

Reactions:
Exactly, lol. And that's how the thing has been handled lately.

Don't get me wrong, I love how the new models look on the map, and I love their attention to detail due to research (in most of them). I just think the effort should be aimed to a broader scale: regions and groups of culturally similar countries first, and then maybe some minors to provide a little flavour.

Take a look to India, for instance. The whole subcontinent was covered by three huge regional/cultural groups of unit models in the Indian Subcontinent Unit Pack (plus ships): Hindu, Muslim and Bengali, plus one unique set for Vijayanagar. Then, years later, a lot of unique models for individual minors, powers and formables were added in Dharma (plus elephants). I think this is how the rest of the world should've been covered. First, broader groups. Then, individual tags.

Absolutely. They should apply this to CK, too.

This is probably the first level of the Hungarian unit. They used green instead of black probably for a joke.
FJnMewH.png

What is this? It seems like some WIP modell for Hungary. Or just some hired local mercenary band?​
This armor reminds me of this one.
200px-Knight_of_black_army.png

FJnMewH.png

What is this? It seems like some WIP modell for Hungary. Or just some hired local mercenary band?​

Defenitly a WIP model for Hungary.

What other unit models have folks seen in the Dev Clash? We've definitely seen Swiss models (they made a point of those) and I believe Savoy. Savoy didn't have Tier 1's before, right?

Savoy
SAV.png

Sicily
sic.png

Switzerland
SVIS`.png

Sorry for the quality of the screenshot for the first level of the Swiss unit I could not find the right situation to take a good shot.
I also hope that every Italian country will have unique looks of units.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I would find very disappointing if there are no new units for the Balkans and Malaya/Indonesia region.

I think the devs would want to do some for the Balkans, but SEA is out the scope of this DLC so I don't see anything for them potentially.

I'm hoping quite a few tags get units. The art team have had a year and a half already. Plenty of time to do a ton of models.

I'm hoping quite a few tags get units.

My guess would be a pack for Italy, German, Unique Mercenary Companies, and the Balkans, but yeah I agree that the art team should have had enough time to get a lot of these done. Can't wait to see what they present it to us.

We know that Hungary, Savoy/Sardina-Piedmont, Sicily, and Switzerland got models. So its reasonable to assume that their neighbors might have gotten models. Serbia, Bulgaria, Italy/Italian Minors, Minor German Princes, Transylvania/Romanian Minors, Bosnia, Croatia, and the Greek minors are potential targets to get new models just being close. My guess:

Balkan Unit Pack: Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia/St. Sava, Serbia/Montenegro, Albania, Bulgaria, Greece/Greek Minors, ?and Kingdom of Jerusalem/Crusader Minors

Italian Unit Pack: Savoy/Sardina-Piedmont, Sicily, Ferrara, Italian Minors

Merc Unit Pack: Unit models for unique merc companies (Hessians, Landsknechkts, etc.)

?Napoleonic Unit Pack: Tier 4 Models for German Princes (Would fit the focus on the late game and Revolutions. Not to mention they included Napoleon in the cover art. It could be plausible)

• 1Like
Reactions: