Europa Universalis IV: DLC Render Pictures Archive

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Morning everyone! We are looking towards the future a bit, and we want to gauge the fan opinion regarding where we should direct our unit model efforts. Are there any key regions that you feel desperately need more attention? Are there any interesting uniforms that you feel have been forgotten so far? Let us know below!
The Greek tags, the Georgia, Trebizond, Armenia and the Christian nations around them (the Muslim ones all have models I believe).
Indonesia and the Philippines.
Central Africa, South-East Africa, and Madagascar.

Those are the three regions that spring to mind when I think of missing unit models. I don't think they have any non-generic ones.

Reactions:
Morning everyone! We are looking towards the future a bit, and we want to gauge the fan opinion regarding where we should direct our unit model efforts. Are there any key regions that you feel desperately need more attention? Are there any interesting uniforms that you feel have been forgotten so far? Let us know below!
To me, the worst part of the DLC unit packs is that sometimes they clash in aesthetics too much. Some of the Tier2 models look too much 1520 while others looks straight up 1630.

Quality is also super variable. Compare Right of Man or the Evangelic Majors with the 100 Years War pack, the difference in quality is absysmal. Not to speak of how the HYW pack is also the most fantasy heavy one, and the worst designed (of the ones I can have an opinion, I know nothing of Indian armiour in the 1400's). If you have to direct your efforts towards one area, I'd go for redesign of the first packs.

Also, what the heck is that baby coat of arms with a republican crown in the Spanish soldier?
pTyLqcX.jpg

Can we stop coloring Spanish units yellow and red? They have never worn those colors. Ever.

• 1Like
Reactions:
nice! whatever region you add armors, just please don't redo/replace old ones

I personaly like how you can see how game developed and also graphic designers' skills
yeah newer ones have better detail than old ones but don't ovewrwrite history of EU IV developlment process

in my opinion I like it with old models
you see also how game grows + it's not fair when some1 bought models for xx$ (because maybe he liked those models) that you would replace it just like that

- replacing old models - no
- adding more models - yes
- but also generic models are nice, I mean, if we would have so many specific models that there would be not at least one nation with generic model used that would be pitty so leave also space for generic models somewhere

and looking forward to new models, just always double check DLCs and their combinations and don't release unnnecesarry bugs overrides, hahah :D

- custom model? I don't know for me Gascony? - it's special extra valuable vassal in Europe maybe deserves custom armor? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- with new mercenary companies there is no lack of possibilieties where to use new models, maybe some extra special pirates skin?

Reactions:
Everyone else has pretty good, more specific suggestions, but I have a few pretty wide-reaching ones that I've had ever since the Denmark patch.

You know how in the Denmark patch, Western unit models got a big face lift? That, but for all of the other generic regional units. Generic Chinese/East Asian especially given the focus of 1.31. They don't necessarily need to wear new clothes (though I would like them), but units like generic Subsaharan, Eastern European, and Muslim (though especially the first two) feel incredibly crusty by modern unit model standards. There are also many many unique unit models that also look extremely outdated, (Poland, why...) but I don't know if much if anything can be done about that at this point and I think I tend to agree with @miskoTheConquistador 's point on that matter. In that same line of thought, a lot of unique models look extremely out of sync with each other. Especially in tier 4. France has a unique tier 4, but it's using an early Napoleonic uniform and not the later version with the iconic shako. Practically every other army in Europe's tier 4s have shakos but not the army it's most iconic for. Same case for that though. Might be better to keep them that way, and might be too late to change.

Heck, you could even break it up into smaller regional groups than there are in the current version when it comes to making new generic models like you did with carving Japanese generics out of the Chinese generic models for the Japan patch.

There are also several unique unit models (though I can't think of any off the top of my head) that should be used for all the tags in the culture/region as you started to do around the Persia patch if I'm not mistaken but just... aren't for some reason.

These are just general thoughts. If I were you I would pay heed to people asking for specific tags/cultures to have unique units as well.

As an aside, I dislike that the Imperator unit models are now the default for Byzantium and the old Byzantine models don't seem to appear anywhere (especially since Roman unique models look really larpy and fit the resurrected tag better than a historical Byzantium). I could mod this myself pretty easily though seeing as the models are still in the game. (also my understanding a few models like Theodoro's were added specifically for this purpose) idk, changing that would probably bother more people than it pleases.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:

I think generic Muslim, East Asian, Eastern European and African unit models could be reworked just like Western European ones. The difference of quality and detail is abysmal.

Reactions:
I would very much like Armenia and Karabakh to get a common unit model.

92fec45bb5548599627e0a62d678a080.jpg
220px-Kilikia_Cavalry.jpg
928_face.jpg
armenian-warrior-1080-1375.jpg
048CilicianInfantry-1.jpg
images.jpg
1562566182_3_-alexander_romance__armenian_illuminated_manuscript_of_xiv_century_venice_san_laz...jpg

David Bek (film)​

8RJmbfjrK4RV6zxI.jpg

13.jpg

images.jpg

99b9fc7d-cce9-408f-bb8e-ec9f90930ab7_800x600.jpg
79612_1314997-e1569396949933.jpg
Курд_Армянин.jpg

6381082.jpg
d0b8d0b7d0bed0b1d180d0b0d0b6d0b5d0bdd0b8d0b5-004.jpg

f6.jpg
f7.jpg
Man from Zeytun wearing local costume.jpg
postcard-illustration-of-armenian-type-from-zeytun.jpg
96343492_1540985959382836_4285353673132867584_o.jpg
warrior-zeytun.png

TIER 1;
https://nashaarmenia.info/2019/08/2...onflicts.rem33.com/images/Armenia/arm_diaspora.htm

TIER 3
TIER 4:

Attachments

• DSC-46.jpg
    DSC-46.jpg
    143,2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions:
nice! whatever region you add armors, just please don't redo/replace old ones

I personaly like how you can see how game developed and also graphic designers' skills
yeah newer ones have better detail than old ones but don't ovewrwrite history of EU IV developlment process

in my opinion I like it with old models
you see also how game grows + it's not fair when some1 bought models for xx$ (because maybe he liked those models) that you would replace it just like that

- replacing old models - no
- adding more models - yes
- but also generic models are nice, I mean, if we would have so many specific models that there would be not at least one nation with generic model used that would be pitty so leave also space for generic models somewhere

and looking forward to new models, just always double check DLCs and their combinations and don't release unnnecesarry bugs overrides, hahah :D

- custom model? I don't know for me Gascony? - it's special extra valuable vassal in Europe maybe deserves custom armor? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- with new mercenary companies there is no lack of possibilieties where to use new models, maybe some extra special pirates skin?
I understand your position, but I honestly don't care about the developmental history of the game. Would you want parts of EU2 and 3 in the game as well, as tokens of the development history of the game? A return of the Spanish Bankruptcy event that fired regardless of your financial situation? The Aragon missions that were LOTR jokes were already way too much.

And when I was talkling about old models being renewed, I meant for free. Of course. Or maybe as an addendum to a pack with other models. I mean, the 100YW unit pack is seriously bad research and the graphic design isn't great either. Foix is especially dismal.

Reactions:

Word form:

Regionally, I would love to see the Baltics (Kurland, Estonia, Livonia, and Riga), Scandinavia (Denmark and Norway), Philippines (Although, this is most likely in Leviathan...), Sub-Saharan Africa (Mutapa, Butua, Makua, Kongo Region, etc.), and the Caucasus (Armenia, Karabakah, Georgia, Imereti, Satskhe). Also a boat update would be nice, the current ones are starting to show their age (expecially when next to Golden Century boats)

There are also some oversights in currently existing unit models, for example, the Dutch/Frisian Minors don't use the Great Nation Dutch models, Most of the German Minors don't have a unit model (This could be solved 1 or 2 ways, the easy way would be to give them a nearby major's models, or the harder path would be individually create models for each one), HRE Majors (Bavaria, Saxony, Bohemia, etc.) Tier 4, Emperor Balkan Pack didn't get Dalmatia/Ragusa and Greece/Greek Minors, while the some Italians (Trent, Mantua, Bologna, Urbino, and Perugia) are still missing a unit model (Urbino and Perugia could get the Pope's for T1 and then get the Italian Unifier's for the rest, while Bologna gets Florence's models and Trent splits between Austria (T3 - T4) and Venice (T1-T2).

List form:
  • Baltics (Kurland, Estonia, Livonia, Riga (All T1 - T4))
  • Scandinavia (Denmark (T1, T3, T4) and Norway (T1 - T4))
  • Philippines ( Tondo, Pangasinan, Manylia, Madyas, Cebu, Magunidanao, Butuan (All T1 - T4) (This may already be with Leviathan))
  • Sub-Saharan Africa (Mutapa, Butua, Makua, Kongo Region (T1 - T4)
  • Caucasus ((Armenia, Karabakah, Georgia, Samtskhe, Imereti) (T1 - T4))
  • More Boats!!
Update :

• Dutch/Frisian Minors - Great Nations Dutch Models, they all got T2 for Emperor, but are missing T1, T3, and T4
  • Greece/Greek Minors - Got left out of Emperor Balkan Unit Pack (Greece, Morea, Achaea, Trebizond)
  • Balkan Crusaders (Naxos, Corfu, Epirus, Cyprus, and Jerusalem) could all get Hospitalitar units
  • Several Italian Minors still missing unit models : Perugia, Mantua, Bologna, Urbino, Parma, Ferrara, Padova, Aquelia, and Trent (Just give them a neighbor's models)
  • French Minors/Appanages missing models: Most notably Provence (more common to see survive to 1600+) , but not excluding Picardy, Auvergne, Tolouse, Gascony, Bourbon, Champange, Nevers, Orleans, Alencon, etc. All missing T2+)
  • HRE Majors T4: Bavaria, Saxony, Bohemia, etc. all lack a T4 model

Reactions:
Biggest things:
The vanilla units need to be updated. Some of them look absolutely horrid and it's really glaring when they are near unit packs. I was really excited when they updated the Western models because they looked so good and really brought up the aesthetic quality of the area. I would love to see the same treatment accross the globe so that some of the tags that don't warrant DLC attention don't get stuck with these really ugly outdated models.

Expand existing unit packs. For example, have Rum and the other Beyliks use the Ottoman models, have Jerusalem use the Knights models, Yuan with Mongol models etc. I made quite a few mods like this, but after the game update that changed how unit models are assigned and the changes to the workshop, I no longer have the time nor will to do so. There are some really great unit models that could just be reutilized for closely associated tags that would require minimal work from the developers while also enriching the visual experience as a whole.

As for actual DLC:
Idk, I'm good with whatever, for the most part. Africa, North American Natives, and SEA are in most dire need of new models but I feel like a good deal of that will be covered in the Leviathan pack.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Especially in tier 4. France has a unique tier 4, but it's using an early Napoleonic uniform and not the later version with the iconic shako. Practically every other army in Europe's tier 4s have shakos but not the army it's most iconic for
I would also very much like the French Tier 4 to be changed to Shakos. It feels a lot more Napoleonic than the bicornes they currently have.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Expand existing unit packs. For example, have Rum and the other Beyliks use the Ottoman models, have Jerusalem use the Knights models, Yuan with Mongol models etc. I made quite a few mods like this, but after the game update that changed how unit models are assigned and the changes to the workshop, I no longer have the time nor will to do so. There are some really great unit models that could just be reutilized for closely associated tags that would require minimal work from the developers while also enriching the visual experience as a whole.
Absolutely. I've noticed this criticism in quite a few places. When they started doing this it seems they never thought to retroactively apply it to some of the unique models used before that point. This is the easiest thing for them to do too. One of the big things, especially to me is that some formables don't seem to take into account regional unique models at all. Off the top of my head Rum uses generic islamic units despite being a replica Ottomans, Italy and Germany defaulted you to generics when you formed them in the past (though they've now fixed this), Arabia also gives you generics... They should really look at what models all formables use.

Reactions:
Absolutely. I've noticed this criticism in quite a few places. When they started doing this it seems they never thought to retroactively apply it to some of the unique models used before that point. This is the easiest thing for them to do too. One of the big things, especially to me is that some formables don't seem to take into account regional unique models at all. Off the top of my head Rum uses generic islamic units despite being a replica Ottomans, Italy and Germany defaulted you to generics when you formed them in the past (though they've now fixed this), Arabia also gives you generics... They should really look at what models all formables use.
Biggest things:
The vanilla units need to be updated. Some of them look absolutely horrid and it's really glaring when they are near unit packs. I was really excited when they updated the Western models because they looked so good and really brought up the aesthetic quality of the area. I would love to see the same treatment accross the globe so that some of the tags that don't warrant DLC attention don't get stuck with these really ugly outdated models.

As for actual DLC:
Idk, I'm good with whatever, for the most part. Africa, North American Natives, and SEA are in most dire need of new models but I feel like a good deal of that will be covered in the Leviathan pack.
Couldn't agree more. Expand current unit pack to include most cultural tabs related to them, and improve the oldest unit models.

The formables are an especially glaring issue. As X you have a cool custom unit , but you form a better nation and you're suddenly using vanilla units, it's a bit of a letdown.

Reactions:
New stuff
  1. As others have mentioned, non-western vanilla unit models are in dire need of an update. The old models just look plain bad next to unit packs. Worst offender is Mare Nostrum African models, which use vanilla weapons with extremely low resolution.
  2. Greece, Caucasus, Anatolia are the most neglected regions. Scandinavia and Baltics are closely behind.
  3. HRE princes need T4 models.
Fixes
  1. Your new system for unit packs allows for many ways of asigning models other than based on tags. Culture, culture groups, region... Use it to its full potential and get rid of what remains of the cloning mechanism. It's one big mess now, which causes a lot of missing regional/cultural models as others are pointing out, as well as unintended behaviour like special cavalry models being overwritten entirely.
  2. On a related note, the new system desperately needs an equivalent to "version" used in the old cloning system. Right now it's impossible to clearly decide which models take priority. If there are two DLCs affecting a tag or a unit, the newer one always takes priority, which causes buggy behavior with nations that have their models spread across multiple DLCs like Poland, France and Mamluks. Or those that use either unique vanilla, unique tag or regional models based on your DLCs owned – this affects mostly India, where Dharma and Indian Subcontinent unit packs cause a lot chaotic overlapping, with a few models missing entirely as a result.
  3. Ayutthaya currently has randomly assigned Mughal T4 cavalry as a result of some old cloning. IIRC it's in the Dharma elephant or vanilla files.
  4. Unique vanilla unit models for minor Italians are currently not used in the game, they were (accidentaly) left out in the new system.
  5. Several oldest unit packs don't use dynamic colouring, which is something that can be fixed, we've seen that happen with parts of Mare Nostrum unit pack soon after its release. Issues are with HYW unit pack, muslim cavalry, eastern cavalry, USA ,Purple phoenix, but also parts of Mare Nostrum.
  6. Purple Phoenix should be the default models for Byz, the units from Imperator are way too much fantasy. Leave those for Rome and custom nations by default.
  7. Other have mentioned historical (in)consistency. For me the biggest offenders are current T2 models for Mare Nostrum Italians. They are the only one that don't use 30y war era models like the entire rest of Europe. Bring back the scrapped T3 models that should have been used as T2 in the first place. Leave the current T2 models in the game for custom nations and modders.
  8. Again... Mare Nostrum unit pack. Most models in this expansion now have two variants. One with dynamic colours, used for clones, and one non-dynamic, used for the main tags. Some models have onyl one variant. Milan or Mamluks are missing dynamic variants for example, Ethipia is missing the original fancy blue non-dynamic one. Bring back the removed non-dynamic ones and add the missing dynamic variants.
  9. On a related note, the new model system fails to account for this and uses non-dynamic variants where possible, which means every tag affected by the DLC is currently using models with the same colour.
  10. A lot of new models use 1H attack animation for what are clearly 2H weapons. Affects many new DLCs starting with Mare Nostrum (see for example Milan). Very easy to fix.
  11. Last time I checked quite a lot of cavalry models were not assigned the new retreat animation. Might wanna do a quick pass on that. Again, very easy to fix.
  12. Did I mention that Mare Nostrum UP is one big mess that needs fixing?
Edit: Forgot to mention that some older DLC rifles are generally missing the new particles and smoke when shooting. Affects Trade nations, colonial units and maybe a few others, can't check which ones specifically right now. Very easy to fix with some ctrl+c and ctrl+v. T2 model rifles should generally also have extra trigger/muzzle residue animation, which is something that I've found missing from certain DLCs as well.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
New stuff
  1. As others have mentioned, non-western vanilla unit models are in dire need of an update. The old models just look plain bad next to unit packs. Worst offender is Mare Nostrum African models, which use vanilla weapons with extremely low resolution.
  2. Greece, Caucasus, Anatolia are the most neglected regions. Scandinavia and Baltics are closely behind.
  3. HRE princes need T4 models.
Fixes
  1. Your new system for unit packs allows for many ways of asigning models other than based on tags. Culture, culture groups, region... Use it to its full potential and get rid of what remains of the cloning mechanism. It's one big mess now, which causes a lot of missing regional/cultural models as others are pointing out, as well as unintended behaviour like special cavalry models being overwritten entirely.
  2. On a related note, the new system desperately needs an equivalent to "version" used in the old cloning system. Right now it's impossible to clearly decide which models take priority. If there are two DLCs affecting a tag or a unit, the newer one always takes priority, which causes buggy behavior with nations that have their models spread across multiple DLCs like Poland, France and Mamluks. Or those that use either unique vanilla, unique tag or regional models based on your DLCs owned – this affects mostly India, where Dharma and Indian Subcontinent unit packs cause a lot chaotic overlapping, with a few models missing entirely as a result.
  3. Ayutthaya currently has randomly assigned Mughal T4 cavalry as a result of some old cloning. IIRC it's in the Dharma elephant or vanilla files.
  4. Unique vanilla unit models for minor Italians are currently not used in the game, they were (accidentaly) left out in the new system.
  5. Several oldest unit packs don't use dynamic colouring, which is something that can be fixed, we've seen that happen with parts of Mare Nostrum unit pack soon after its release. Issues are with HYW unit pack, muslim cavalry, eastern cavalry, USA ,Purple phoenix, but also parts of Mare Nostrum.
  6. Purple Phoenix should be the default models for Byz, the units from Imperator are way too much fantasy. Leave those for Rome and custom nations by default.
  7. Other have mentioned historical (in)consistency. For me the biggest offenders are current T2 models for Mare Nostrum Italians. They are the only one that don't use 30y war era models like the entire rest of Europe. Bring back the scrapped T3 models that should have been used as T2 in the first place. Leave the current T2 models in the game for custom nations and modders.
  8. Again... Mare Nostrum unit pack. Most models in this expansion now have two variants. One with dynamic colours, used for clones, and one non-dynamic, used for the main tags. Some models have onyl one variant. Milan or Mamluks are missing dynamic variants for example, Ethipia is missing the original fancy blue non-dynamic one. Bring back the removed non-dynamic ones and add the missing dynamic variants.
  9. On a related note, the new model system fails to account for this and uses non-dynamic variants where possible, which means every tag affected by the DLC is currently using models with the same colour.
  10. A lot of new models use 1H attack animation for what are clearly 2H weapons. Affects many new DLCs starting with Mare Nostrum (see for example Milan). Very easy to fix.
  11. Last time I checked quite a lot of cavalry models were not assigned the new retreat animation. Might wanna do a quick pass on that. Again, very easy to fix.
  12. Did I mention that Mare Nostrum UP is one big mess that needs fixing?
I wish everyone making suggestions were as had as good a memory and amount of technical knowledge on the subject as you, dang.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Unique vanilla unit models for minor Italians are currently not used in the game, they were (accidentaly) left out in the new system.

As someone who digs around the unit model files a bit, even I didn't know these existed. Strange they were left out.

Reactions:
Yeah, they have just different pattern on their T1 gambeson, it's nothing major. It should work for 11 Italian tags that were present in the game at launch (except Venice, which has its own modes).

Another example of an awful concept; the models are great, but the design is underwhelming at best. Just gambesons with a symbol splashed on the chest? Come on. Naples had a reputation for being a flamboyant land with extravagant people and customs, and yet here's the Naples soldier, with a white gambeson and a big fleur de lys. Same thing for Milan (just a chainmail? The birthplace of Milanese plate armour, are we serious?) or Florence (the same Naples model but with a slightly different lilly).

If Paradox doesn't want to update them, at least they should offer alternatives to them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Scandinavia! i.e. Norway, Finland, Gotland, Rugen (pirates!) and Iceland and Scandinavia (and for God's sake do something about that awful flag!). Also the Baltic States region (Estonia, Livonia etc.) Also needs more unique missions in that area.

Also, though I've not checked them all recently - any releasable nations in the British Isles, France and Iberia that don't have unit unique models, though I think at least some of these do now

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Scandinavia! i.e. Norway, Finland, Gotland, Rugen (pirates!) and Iceland and Scandinavia (and for God's sake do something about that awful flag!). Also the Baltic States region (Estonia, Livonia etc.) Also needs more unique missions in that area.

Also, though I've not checked them all recently - any releasable nations in the British Isles, France and Iberia that don't have unit unique models, though I think at least some of these do now
If I recall, every single tag in Ireland has either full units or at least Tier 1s (I think it's a situation where pre-RB tags got full models and tags added in RB got only Tier 1s, though the regional unique is applied properly so they never look generic). Cornwall, Wales, Northumbria, and Man also have full models. It's actually one of the most well covered regions in the game.

Considering people seem to want the Baltics, SA, and Africa to be the next focuses for regional content design, I have a feeling the Baltic has it in its destiny unless they cancel EU4 after Leviathan (which considering they're asking for fan suggestions here I doubt they'll do). Scandinavia is also one of those formables that has no unique units assigned to it that we keep bringing up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: