Europa Universalis IV: DLC Render Pictures Archive

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well perhaps they could make a optional 2D option but still for those who prefer 3D having more different models really makes the map look much better, rather then clone items.

I think that many people today would still value 2D if game developers would just ...you know ... dare. 2D offers something that 3D cannot offer. For example, I have yet to see an RPG that is as atmospheric as Baldurs Gate & Co. 2D can offer certain atmospheres that 3D cannot, although I can hardly define those atmospheres. There is always something "technical" and that "simulation"-feeling adhering to 3D, whereas with 2D, the organic, the story and immersion dominate. 3D speaks to the eyes only, whereas 2D speaks to the mind via our eyes. 3D feels as if it is more the product of a computer, a result of automatic processes, whereas 2D lets you sense the human origin behind everything (it's more art than thechnique), and everything has a meaning because it differs from the perfect models. 2D gives you a picture of how some other human has perceived (or imagined) a scene whereas 3D just throws the whole unfiltered chaos at you. And that's not what narration is ought to do. It should give you carefully selected input in order to purposefully create feelings and atmospheres. I think that 2D also allows you better control over the combinations of shapes and colours that the player sees, and thus can create more consistent experiences. In real 3D, light and shadows change colours, rotation alters forms, and the player can position himself where he perceives unsatisfying or at least not intended views. In some way, 2D also seems to fit better to the display-device, which is a FLAT computer screen. For me, 2D is just the proper "narrative" mode. I don't get it why EU (where 3D serves no functional purpose at all! And where 3D isn't even real 3D because you can't rotate!) sacrifices what a well done 2D map could bring to the game.

I can't help but feel less immersed into most games since they come in three dimensions. At least this is my hpyothesis. Maybe it's just because I've grown older. But games in 2D often had a special magic about them. And thank god there are still some new releases, mainly indie games.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I just belatedly realized that there is no units models based on Napoleonic era soldiers wearing shako for British and French. I hope Paradox has plans to rectify this. It just looks weird seeing soldiers still wearing bicorne into 19th century. Bicorne were pretty much only worn by officers, while soldiers only wore the shakos or other hats in that era.

Hoping for some Chinese-style junk ships at some point. Malaya/Dai Viet/Ming using western models is the only black hole in an outstanding ship variety of which I am a real admirer. Go go Paradox.

Reactions:
Asian nations using western men wearing white aristocratic wigs as advisors is lame to say the least.
An nice asian unit pack wouldnt hurt either. What do you think Paradox?
Any forecast?

What about the naval models, and why such a short gap between level 3 and 4?

Last edited:
I love these, except for the Spanish one. I don't know what went through the artists' mind. What is that mess on its surcoat? I know it has to be for Castille too, but for God's sake, this was not the solution. The solution was to have a Castille + Leon CoA, because it's also the one Spain used to a lesser extent besides the full Castille + Aragon arms.

Other than that rant, I love the work. The best sprite pack yet. I was shocked to see Augsburg, Ulm or Trier got sprites of their own. Much better than the mostly deficient (in my opinion) 100 Years War pack (not enough XVth Century) and better than the outstanding Conquistador and Merchant Nations pack (except for Aragon, those Aragon sprites didn't use much research either).

Very good job overall! Keep'em coming! I'm still waiting for Venice and Naples! If Trier or Mainz can have their sprites, so can these three!

Does Paradox has plans to add Napoleonic era unit packs? It was a shame to not see soldiers with shako hats in EU4 anymore. The final sprite level in EU3 for Western units wore that. Personally, it was my favorite type of uniform of the entire EU4 era.

Example:

Wellingtons33rd.jpg
Source: Wikipedia

Yeah, Napoleonic pack would be great. I'd love to see some unique level 4 sprites for countries like France, Denmark, Poland, Austria and Prussia. So... Pretty please, Paradox? :)