Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 44 - Newbie Friendly

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As long as ledger doesn't double count armies just because your at war. (CK2) which gives bad intelligence to the player and influence decisions made AI and player.

In Quill's preview he looks at the ledger a couple of times - it gives the current reinforcement amount (so people who can reinforce your troops, but aren't actually active) as well as the amount of troops the country actually have available (Active standing armies) - as far as I could see in the video, it was accurate.

The AI not taking navel attrition is kinda disappointing. I really hate the Ottomans being able to drop 1 regiment armies in St. Petersburg and similar shenanigans.

The interface updates are lovely, though!

Great DD and good information in it
Just
Shouldn't it be 'So you think empire building games aren't for you?' Or 'So you think this empire building game isnt for you?'

An image isnt going to work for marketing if the headline puts people off.

Last edited:
I am shocked by that no-atrittion thing, never realized that in EU3. But than again, I am more in the land combat anyway. The rest of this DD is pure gold.

Thats been that way since the first eu1 alpha in december 1999.

Is the AI taking into consideration naval distance at all? I mean, AI attrition is a one thing and I don't really mind it. However, Ottoman galleys in the White Sea is a bit different thing.

I am shocked by that no-atrittion thing, never realized that in EU3. But than again, I am more in the land combat anyway. The rest of this DD is pure gold.

Thats been that way since the first eu1 alpha in december 1999.
Yes, we know Johan - and lots of us have been complaining about it all that time, too! :p

The chart is simply awesome. I should try it on a couple of people!

Very good work. Every presented feature is perfect to me. I really like the hint system as I think it may be useful even for old veterans of EU. I will also go for tutorial as the game introduces new mechanics. Tutorial mini-campaign is a perfect idea.

One thing I don't really understand is why the AI doesn't get attrition on the sea. Makes no sense to me. Is there any particular reason for that? Maybe it has been previously mentioned and I missed it?

NVM great DD :)

I have a question for navy:

Do we still have the cool and historical system of type of ship for a type of sea ?
For exemple: galley are better for the Mediterranean Sea and gallion for Atlantic Ocean.
Yes. Although galleys weren't really good in EU3, even in inland seas heavy ships beat the snot out of them...

"So you think empire building games isn't for you?"

Love the Swedish grammar!

Yeah, they should write in Swedish, would be much more clear...

Don't forget than Scandinavian people are kind and skilled enough to speak in English as soon as there's a stranger in the room, just to make clear what they're saying...

EDIT: it seems that was humor more than mere criticism. So feeled the need to specified it. ;)

The AI not taking navel attrition is kinda disappointing. I really hate the Ottomans being able to drop 1 regiment armies in St. Petersburg and similar shenanigans.

The interface updates are lovely, though!

What's that? Kallocain forgot that also, like galleys? :rofl:

(Just kidding; I remember well a few days ago I confused 'available' and 'avoidable' in a post...)

Last edited: