Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 40 - What is our mission ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a question regarding workshop.

I've previously done mods for skyrim and the uploadprocess was really easy for those mods, just klick a button in their modtool and its pretty much done. How will you upload EU4 mods to workshop? Since most of the modding can and usually is done via notepad and adding new eventfiles etc I'm qurious to see how that will be done.

Well it is because currently you get one mission that you can complete at a time. In this new system you can still only complete one mission you just get to actively pick it from a shortlist. Once you've actively picked a mission it's exactly as it is currently, one mission which you can cancel or fail and if you cancel or fail it you get a shortlist again. The only difference in the mission system is you get to pick from a randomized shortlist.

In the current system, you take a prestige hit for canceling a mission, and you are locked into the next choice for five years.

Missions

In Europa Universalis III missions tended to be used to get around game mechanics and often gave rewards that were too big to say no to. For the first century or so, you’d be a fool for not having an active mission.
In Europa Universalis IV we have moved more towards missions being used as suggestions of actions that the player might want to pursue. They are nudges in the direction of history, and then just general pokes to keep things moving forward. Yes, there are still rewards, and some of them are quite nice. But they aren’t necessarily game changers all the time.

Missions are no longer randomly assigned. You now have three missions to choose from, often with one connected to each monarch power.
We have also added a target list of provinces to missions, so when choosing a historical conquer mission we can dynamically tag which province should be part of the mission instead of having to rely on pre-scripted victory conditions.

How will the AI chose its missions, if at all? And to which degree will the AI try to complete the chosen mission (again, if at all)?

I am about to cry.

I don't like the idea that achievements are only in Ironman mode, I'm pretty sure there will be a way to hack it so it doesn't ensure that all achievements are legitimate anyway.

Besides, if there weren't so many annoying random things I'm pretty sure that people would reload much less, I never reload in Civ 5 but I just can't stand 'Comet Sighted' stuff.

In the current system, you take a prestige hit for canceling a mission, and you are locked into the next choice for five years.

Which is the same as it is in EUIV. If you cancel you get the 5 year unable to cancel penalty the only difference is you get 3 missions to choose from.

I don't like the idea that achievements are only in Ironman mode, I'm pretty sure there will be a way to hack it so it doesn't ensure that all achievements are legitimate anyway.

Besides, if there weren't so many annoying random things I'm pretty sure that people would reload much less, I never reload in Civ 5 but I just can't stand 'Comet Sighted' stuff.

If you read it says that only some missions are Ironman only. I imagine that only the super hard ones like Ryukyu world conquest in ironman mode is the sorta achievment he meant.

You reload for something as minor as a comet sighted? You sir, are beyond redemption...

Achievements have no real value so its not an issue at all. If you want to cheat them, go ahead. Paradox might not even care even if they caught you. Achievements are there only for you.

I'm glad EU4 is implementing ironman mode. I've told myself to play ironman-style in EU3 many times but its just so easy to have a 9/8/8 heir die when your current ruler is 87 and say "man that was some BS I'm just gonna reload this time..."

If you read it says that only some missions are Ironman only. I imagine that only the super hard ones like Ryukyu world conquest in ironman mode is the sorta achievment he meant.

Wut? No, it's Ironman only.

Achievements

EU4 will ship with 50 different achievements, all using the Steam achievements mechanics. Some are easy to do like signing a royal marriage, and some are slightly harder to do like dismantling the HRE. However, achievements can only be done in Ironman mode – you will need to earn them. What is Ironman mode, you ask?

I personally like it. In Skyrim, you can finish off all achievemnts through the console. This way, you know you earnt your shizzle for real.

I have a question regarding workshop.

I've previously done mods for skyrim and the uploadprocess was really easy for those mods, just klick a button in their modtool and its pretty much done. How will you upload EU4 mods to workshop? Since most of the modding can and usually is done via notepad and adding new eventfiles etc I'm qurious to see how that will be done.

Curious about this too.

In the meantime, I was looking at this list which links to various wikis that shows how other games have been using workshop for their mods.

I personally like it. In Skyrim, you can finish off all achievemnts through the console. This way, you know you earnt your shizzle for real.

EARN YOUR E-PEEN!!! :angry:

I remember the No-Saving mode from Mount and Blade: Warband, which autosaved after every battle - but could be juked out of it by ctrl-alt-deleting and manually closing the game before the battle officially "ended". Will the same kind of thing be possible here, or are you trying to prevent that? I don't really care about people "exploiting" for achievements, but if it's possible for me to avoid a disastrous defeat by juking out of ironman mode I don't think I can quite avoid the temptation...

I'm not good with temptation :(

Reactions:
Wut? No, it's Ironman only.

Yeah I'm a moron, I read it on my phone and derped rather hard :p

Is you want to pwn n00bz with your 1337 skillz there is multiplayer, I don't see connection between enjoying sandbox game any way you like and "skill"... /sigh.
If you're forced to remain with one nation, any player with skill will quickly build their nation up to the point where it no longer takes skill to play. Of course you can enjoy the game any way you like, but ironman is generally intended for people who want a challenge. And disabling achievements for other play-styles implies that this is the "right" way to play.
I assume you can't change countries by saving and starting the game as another country either, so yes, if you want to play like that, don't do ironman mode...
I'm assuming that as well. If the assumption is false, or even if you can but with limitations (one change per century?) then there's no issue.

If you don't like endless blobbing, you could just start a new game as another country...
And only ever play the first hundred years? I guess you could still access the full range of the timeline with later start dates, but I'd much rather go balls-deep in alternate history and watch my old nation prosper or fail without my intervention.
Sometimes I have corrupted saves in Paradox games (for example a power outage while saving). What happens then?
Seems like the ideal case would still be to have multiple autosaves, but only to allow access to older ones if it tries to load the latest but fails.
You reload for something as minor as a comet sighted? You sir, are beyond redemption...
Why not just delete the event then?

I'm glad for the new mode because whenever I try to play a fair game, I always end up cheating because it's so ingrained in my mind from doing it ever since I found out how.
Hopefully by only playing in Ironman mode I can wean myself off cheats for good.
Plus, it provides a reason to figure out how inflation and basic military tactics work. Hooray!