Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 40 - What is our mission ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ironman mode usually feature a "Save and Quit" button, using the same unique save.

Basically the only way you can save your progress manually is by quitting the game.

Yeah, I'm amazed if ironman doesn't save when you quit. They always do that. Ironman mode for EU4 sounds very interesting and I will likely play that a lot, I have a great compulsion to load a game if I do something even a bit wrong, and this should cure it nicely. Just hoping the save never gets corrupted. If it's cloud-based, you could have a "just-in-case" save stored there(say, a year prior to the regular save), in case the regular save botches due to a blackout or such.

Is there a way to "force" or anticipate an ironman autosave, if you for some reason have to quit in hurry, can't play till next scheduled save and don't want to lose the progress?

Well one of the savepoints is upon quit/resign/exit so you do not need to wait until next triggered save

Ironman

The purpose of Ironman mode is to help the single player gamer to resist the urges to correct mistakes and change decisions already made. It is the ultimate challenge for you to ride out history’s waves and tumults.
In practice this means that EU4 itself will save the game at various points using only one and the same save game, thus removing the option to save the game, experiment with a course of action and then reload when your plans blow up in your face.
Playing an Ironman game is meant to be a bit of a challenge so some other game settings will be disabled or locked and of course _NO_ cheating is allowed. Not that any of you would cheat.

I guess ironman will be a real challenge. It might take years for anyone to get to the hard acheivements. After all, it will take years of patches to get to the point where you can play for centuries without the game corrupting your only ironman savegame upon crash.

Philipp

Amazing job PDS! Everything i wanted got in, even the cloud saving which i did not even require but still great!

Sometimes I have corrupted saves in Paradox games (for example a power outage while saving). What happens then?

I suspect what you do then is complain on the forum about it, and listen to people tell you that you're SOL.

Just preparing you for the inevitable future. :D

Great, full STEAM integration including achievements, cloud saves and workshop! Looks like I will make my first Workshop mod in STEAM :)
And Ironman mode is the icing on the cake! (because I'm terrible at limiting myself from save scumming and Ironman made my XCOM playthrough much more enjoyable).

Sometimes I have corrupted saves in Paradox games (for example a power outage while saving). What happens then?

I hope they will store an older save in STEAM cloud, so if your local copy gets corrupted because of power outage during saving you can choose to use older save from cloud. The problem is, as far as I know current games sync cloud saves after exiting, which can be several hours in case of Paradox games...

Another safeguarding could be new save would be written to a new file and only after succesfull saving and validating (separate validating is important I think) the old one will be deleted. It would be slower, but safer. Maybe it could be an option so if you have slow computer you can turn it off?

A few questions about missions:

Does the list of three missions you have ever "reshuffle"? If so, does it do it on some type of timer, or just in situations where a specific mission is no longer valid? If a mission becomes invalid, does only that one get replaced?

What happens when you cancel a mission?

I like the missions. I hate the "sign a royal marriage" achievement. Those are just pointless. Achievements should be really achievements, not something you'll have done in the first 2 minutes of every game.

Achievements are also used by game developers to track how many users access various game features. For example, Paradox will be able to use this information to be able to identify if not enough players are actively using royal marriages -- possibly because they don't understand the benefits, for example.

A few questions about missions:

Does the list of three missions you have ever "reshuffle"? If so, does it do it on some type of timer, or just in situations where a specific mission is no longer valid? If a mission becomes invalid, does only that one get replaced?

What happens when you cancel a mission?

Its exactly as it is currently you just pick one of the three missions, then it becomes active like a current mission in eu3 then when you complete or cancel it you get a random selection of three missions to pick from again.

The amount of people in the Ironman thread that shot the idea down so aggressively. As if Paradox shouldn't dare consider it! Shocking behaviour.

Really glad Paradox put this is, I'm going to love it. Ironman Byzantium restored Achievement, here I come!

The point of achievements such as royal marriage are to attach amusing/groan-worthty names to them like "gotta put a ring on it". They are to help sort out which players lack a sense of humor.

Its exactly as it is currently you just pick one of the three missions, then it becomes active like a current mission in eu3 then when you complete or cancel it you get a random selection of three missions to pick from again.

Well, that's not really how it "currently" is at all.

Missions can become in valid, what happens in this case?

Can I just pick/cancel repeatedly until I get the "set" that I want?

Well, that's not really how it "currently" is at all.

Missions can become in valid, what happens in this case?

Can I just pick/cancel repeatedly until I get the "set" that I want?

Well it is because currently you get one mission that you can complete at a time. In this new system you can still only complete one mission you just get to actively pick it from a shortlist. Once you've actively picked a mission it's exactly as it is currently, one mission which you can cancel or fail and if you cancel or fail it you get a shortlist again. The only difference in the mission system is you get to pick from a randomized shortlist.