Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 36 - Hot States in the Holy Roman Empire

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think the tolerance and expensive cores are quite strong, ideas between seems little weaker to me as well, but that may be caused by mighty military ideas of Brandenburg. I think Bohemia will be quite strong in the hands of player, don´t know what to expect from AI...

Bring in the Bavarian Purity Law: Production Efficiency +10%: Bavarian beer is the best in the world, and it can only remain so if we can guarantee its purity. Let’s set some standards!
Become Brewmaster General: National Tax Modifier +10%: Again with the beer. A government monopoly on the production of strong beer will fill our coffers with hoppy riches.

Working late are we? :)

Any link between all of these sentences? :laugh:

But I have to say that you, Northern/Central/Western Germanic people have a rather strange relation with your 'yellow water'.

However, I would suggest a moddable eighth national idea, which would make justice to all nations over the world: something like this:
* in honour of the best beer in the world, something linking beverage and tradition in the Nederlands (yeah, guys, no error: the best bear in the world is definitively in Belgium!);
* because of wine: beverage and furia francese in France;
* the equivalent with Water of life: beverage and moral in Scotland (that's hot, but that's good!);
Lot of others should be quite easy to find:
* for the tea with mentha: beverage and diplomacy in the Muslim world (salaams and palabras);
* about the tea ceremony: beverage and discipline in Japan (or tradition in China!);
And so on.

Yeah, that's a pet... a peti... Err... A pata... Bmpff. A petition! :wacko:

Beer! :)
Ja in Bavaria wo die Baumen aus holst sind!

Although Elfryc is right, the best beer in the world comes from Belgium.

As for the NIs:
- Brandenburg will have an awesome army, but the ideas are pretty linear there. Excellent choice for a military power, but lacking other directions.
- Bavaria has a lot more variety. I had expected some more 30 Years War/Catholic Liga related NIs for hiring mercenaries. It looks a lot more fun than Brandenburg, because your ideas have more variety and allow more flexibility.
- Bohemia: pretty similar to Bavaria in flexibility.

Of the three, Bavaria seems to be the most interesting and now I am going to change my preference for the just-after-release-multiplayergame-where-I-will-get-my-butt-handed-to-me-to-wear-as-a-hat to Bavaria and defend your honour, Kallocain. :)

Last edited:
One question--but I may have missed it before: what is this 'hint' mini-window above the mini-map? I don't think I saw it until now.
It seems it may be hidden. Is this linked to the 1444 start date? Is this disponible for all countries? Whatever the start date?

Pheww, if that's the case, I believe we may send them lot of beer (and pyjamas) at the offices...

However, would be more reasonable to think that's adaptable to the context (monarch points, stability). May be interesting, if that's really thoroughly designed.

dat bohemian borders! and rivers...

but what about beer? i challange that bavarian mug

i liked the local one in Berchtesgaden better than any in CZ. Shame I don't remember the brand. And Belgium is a true beerland.
You don't get many pubs with 360 types of beer in CZ and not all of them are simply light lager...

paradoxians probably never tasted czech beer ;)

:blink:

Oh yes I did! A famous one, whose name finished with 'weiser' and began with 'Bud'. Long time ago--it still had its real name--but it was real good if I remember well.
And no, that was not the bad US Ersatz! :rolleyes: