Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 35 - Alt for Norge!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you aren't talking about the close button (the x) my guess would be that it means that it is raining in the province.
Well the button has a house and what looks like some land on it.
So I'm guessing it's a button that takes you to the Province Home screen. Something that wasn't possible in EU3.

England also have a fair amount of more base-tax ports.

I hope that doesn't work exactly as in EUIII. As it is, fleet sizes are just weird, especially if you load at later dates.

What about the Sound Toll? Please tell me you have redone it, and somehow woven it into the new trade system.
Perhaps giving a set percentage of the Baltic trade nodes' values? This would make it profitable, even if you don't bet heavily on trade, which I believe it should. (Also, I found the tax bonus in EU3 terrible. The additional events helped, but it still felt like a poor presentation of the Sound Toll. You shouldn't have to control Skåne to enforce it either, but perhaps make exemption from it a peace deal possibility.)

Otherwise, I like everything I have read in this DD.

While the Danes might be able to field a larger navy (which is debatable) than the English, the English have some NI's which increase their naval effectiveness:

1. Royal Navy : 25% higher naval force limit, and +10% more combat power for big ships.
4. Navigation Acts : +10% trade income, and +10% more combat power for light ships.
7. Sick and Hurt Board : -50% Naval Attrition.

Control of the baltic trade by a single Scandinavian nation would cripple the shipbuilding efforts of other nations should the controller decide to take that route. Seems completely reasonable.

Norway are dirt poor and have low manpower.. But they are really different to play..

Today atleast, they're filthy rich! :D

Vornedskab: +15% quicker manpower recovery.
I never thought that this would be an idea to grab for a country, but after playing with Dennmark in EU3 during the last weekend, it would actually be the first idea to take. :))

attachment.php

Also, are the EU4 CoA's and flags all completely redrawn, so they are slickier and all one style? Because EU3 needed it.

Am i a bit obtuse or the tooltip isnt very clear at all?

Whats the siege value? whats saved up to 12? why 1d14? Where the next siege tick date?
Siege Value is the diceroll +/- modifiers.
Some of the siege value is kept for the next check, so that the likelihood of winning the sieges increases over time. This number cannot be more than 12 but is otherwise random.
1d14 is the diceroll. Could be anything but this is the one used.
Next tick date is shown in the tooltip to be at 11 December 1444.

If the diceroll, previous results, and the modifiers get above a certain level, the siege will be won.

The modifiers are commanding officers siege ability, amount of artillery compared to fortlevel, blockade, fort level & breach.

Are the modifiers added to each die roll, or only to the total siege value?
If they are added to each roll, I take it a win can only happen if a modified 1d14 gives at least 8? So if the modifier is -7, the siege can never be won?

I love what you are doing to make siege progression more transparent.

Are the modifiers added to each die roll, or only to the total siege value?
If they are added to each roll, I take it a win can only happen if a modified 1d14 gives at least 8? So if the modifier is -7, the siege can never be won?

I love what you are doing to make siege progression more transparent.
Time is also a factor so that the siege value will increase over time. If nothing else happens, the siege will eventually end.

Siege Value is the diceroll +/- modifiers.
Some of the siege value is kept for the next check, so that the likelihood of winning the sieges increases over time. This number cannot be more than 12 but is otherwise random.
1d14 is the diceroll. Could be anything but this is the one used.
Next tick date is shown in the tooltip to be at 11 December 1444.

1d14 plus the modifiers.....does that actually add up correctly? That would put the range to -2 min and 11 max. Am I wrong here?

I do really like the new siege interface. Its great to see the siege roll modifiers so if I need to change something (better leader, more arty) I can easily do so.

However I'm a concerned as to how random siege will be. In EUIII, once the player discovered that arty equaled faster sieges, they went fairly quickly. Each step of the siege added a +1 to the die roll. So once you started seeing food shortage or water shortage, the ball really started rolling.

In excel i listed all the permutations for rolls (doesn't take long thanks to copy paste :) ) and it looks like there are 6 possible permutations for winning the siege in the above picture. 6 rolls which were >= 20 out of 196 which is ~3%. Now i realize in the above picture that those are rebels assaulting a province but that still seems low. This assumes that only the previous roll was used. Now the siege victory percentage is much higher if the highest previous roll is kept (i.e, once you roll an 11, you always have a +11 for your previous roll as thats the highest you can get in the above example).

Anyways just some thoughts.

Dice with face-value zero. :mad:
And people are worried about fantasy-dlc alà sunset invasion :)

But I agree the new siege interface looks excellent.
Can't wait to see the different castle backgrounds for the different eras.