Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 35 - Alt for Norge!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello Johan,

Thanks for the diary. I had one concern with the previous game, and it didn't change: It looks like winning sieges is just a matter of time, if there is no relieving army, the city will eventually fall, but in reality this was not at all the case, there are several sieges where the defending party "defeated" the attackers, and they gave up the siege, and retreated. I think this should be possible if the defenders have a high defensiveness, high morale (or high piety if you like) you should be able to defeat the enemy's morale, and "win".

I don't like the picture of the castle. It looks like it's set in the Middle Ages. In EU3, during sieges, we at least see a picture of a city with proper walls that looks very suitable to the period covered by the game.
Maybe this picture will depend on the era you currently are, so maybe we will see a starfort in the late 1600's.

What does a negative percent chance mean?

Its below 0 to happen, but we show all states before 0 percent chance, so you can easily see progress.

"5.Expanded Dockyards: +100% Naval Forcelimit"

I like this choice for the 5th danish NI. This means Denmark will still be able to have a larger fleet then Sweden, even after loosing it's eastern lands to the Swedes. Clever.

Neat, but I really hope there is ingame tooltips explaining what the hell stuff like Klaedekammer (and other foreign language terms) actually are :p I just googled it and there were no English results.

It's a traditional Scandinavian storehouse: http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fadebur

And specifically the equipment yard of the Danish navy, Tøjhuset. Hence the -33% naval maintainance

It looked like this and is a military history museum today
toejhuset.jpg

I like this choice for the 5th danish NI. This means Denmark will still be able to have a larger fleet then Sweden, even after loosing it's eastern lands to the Swedes. Clever.
My eyes got big on this 1 because it’s 50% more than the Dutch bonus and it’s the highest in game. The only thing I thought was bit weird was there was no Naval Moral boost because I thought for sure both Norway/Denmark should get his. But then I noticed the +1 Navy Tradition which actually gives a Naval Morale and Trade Steering Bonus.
Overall both our fleets looks good which historically they should do ;)

This bonus may actually get very ugly if Denmark succeeds to unite the Kalmar union. England will get kicked in the ass. And the Vikings may start raiding again :).

This bonus may actually get very ugly if Denmark succeeds to unite the Kalmar union. England will get kicked in the ass. And the Vikings may start raiding again :).

While the Danes might be able to field a larger navy (which is debatable) than the English, the English have some NI's which increase their naval effectiveness:

1. Royal Navy : 25% higher naval force limit, and +10% more combat power for big ships.
4. Navigation Acts : +10% trade income, and +10% more combat power for light ships.
7. Sick and Hurt Board : -50% Naval Attrition.

While the Danes might be able to field a larger navy (which is debatable) than the English, the English have some NI's which increase their naval effectiveness:

England also have a fair amount of more base-tax ports.