Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 34 - Unit Interface and more

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm, we still need DDs on Denmark, Poland, India, Arabia? and ROTW(Native Americans, Subsaharan Africa, SE Asia), and HRE

HRE was part of Austria's dev diary. Mostly the same.

What is all this about buns? Someone please clue me in on this recent trend in nerd humor.
It started in another thread complaining about day 1 DLC, when Darkrenown used bun-making as an analogy - and as these things do, it caught and spread.

The only thing you can do now is go with the flow. (You will be a-cinnamon-ated :) )

Can we get resizable UI elements?

If not, can we get bigger dialogs when using higher resolutions?

Attach/Detach Unit: Allows you to have coalition armies & navies moving together.
Can we have more details about that?

Pretty sure it's like in CK2. If I as a human have like an army of 5000 but my computer ally has a 15 000 stack in the war. I can run up to his stack and attach my units to him, then my army automatically follows his. This allows alliances to combine their force so that they hit with their full force. If the enemy has a 17k army for example, he would have a much easier time winning the war when the allies couldn't coordinate.

It's even more nice when I as a human is the larger part. My smaller allies tend to run into my stack and attach their units to me so I pretty much control the full might of the allied. Before this mechanic, small but many allies were no point in having.

Im really glad you listened to the forumites on the topic of naval units vs land units.

Paradox shows they are capable of being responsible/sensible and also caring about niche player base opinion

1. Please tell us that fleets can't force march.

2. What does the Go To button do?

3. I was hoping there'd be a better sorting method, when reorganizing. E.g., morale, damaged state, specific type. This means fleets are still going to be a pain, post battle.

4. Again, a morale indicator for the specific regiment/ship would have been nice. (This relates to (3) above.)

5. I was hoping there would be some better patrol-like way to blockade, without having to do the attrition-dance, as presently.* Say, 2 fleets, #1 moves to the destination, and stays until #2 arrives, when #1 goes to port, repairs if necessary, and then it relieves #2.

6. There is still no indicator that selection of armies/fleets has been made easier.

7. "We have also added some quick shortcuts, if you click on the unittype icons and you can detach all subunits of that type into a new units." -- Does this mean subunits as in "cavalry" or as in "Gallop Cavalry"?

8. I do like the fact that natives no longer destroy themselves by rising. And the fact that MPs may well be better spent elsewhere. But, if you do spend the 5 MPs, (a) does a battle follow, as now, and (b) is it a sure thing they will be gone, or will there be, as in EU3, a chance they will still remain?

9. You know, a fleet of a big enough size should be able to burn a colony. At least in its early stages. (Not if it's garrisoned; that would get complicated.) In general, the game has never really addressed the interaction of land and sea units, from Da Gama's bombardments to Smith at Acre.

10. "- Seize a Colony costs 25MP and can not be used on non-colonies, so natives are safer." -- May I assume this refers to the old 'snatch a pagan province' gimmick?

11. It would have been nice to have arrival date, or at least time remaining in transit, along with the destination shown. As it is, we still need to check on the map.

12. I guess I'm just stupid. It's still unclear just how you handle "The top part of the unitview, that is shown when you got multiple units selected". What does it look like when you do? And does "multiple" still mean "two", or can you select more, as in EU2?

13. Unclear what happens when ships protecting trade interact (do they?) with enemy fleet actions.

*It might well be better to forbid blockading when out of naval range, but only if that were redefined as extending much shorter distances, but from more ports E.g., from allied, captured, and non-core ports, with the range affected by buildings, and perhaps officials or something like that.

I suppose that's enough for now. (Too much? Well, maybe.)

Castille can fabricate claims anywhere overseas....

a. Castile only, or Spain too?

b. Is this like the old Tordesillas rule? If so, what of Portugal (and POR vis a vis CAS/SPA)? If not, I'm unclear on what it means.

Making buns is the lowest form of humour. :angry:

I see what you did there.

Personally, I'm a great fan of bear puns- bear puns... b-puns... buns! EGAD!

I'm wondering this as well. Does the ai take into account the higher cost to core the provinces before taking them, or do they just take them as per usual and then sit on them un-cored due to their high cost?

AI will take it into account.

- Attack Natives cost 5 MP, and is the only way to possibliy eliminate them, as defeating them in a normal uprising does not work anymore.

Nice to see that there is an opportunity cost to killing natives, and that it can't be done by accident as in EU3. Will there be events related to Bartolomé de Las Casas with penalties to prestige or relations for having committed genocide (i.e. killing natives)?

Loving every DD but really, what is the point of pre-ordering? I will get the game day one and I am still hoping all this promotional "sprite" DLC and other recruit a friend chenanigans will be included. We can only hope reason and common sense get the best of PD.

There are a few good pre-order deals. I got the X-TREME! edition from greenman gaming and they threw in $12 of gmg "money". I will use it to pay for the first major DLC.

My lord bad monarchs will be bad damn. You could make due easily with poor leaders in EU3 but they will now have a big influence. You get a good guy you run into a golden age but a bad one and you might just lose half your terriotory. I am so excited

i kinda wish you could influence your monarch's skills like in Crusader Kings 2 so i have more control over the direction of the game. I would be sad if i get screwed over due to random number generators that give me a bad monarch. Republics don't have this problem of course. but yeah im excited for this game. AUGUST 13TH IS COMING!

is cinnamon buns a euphemism for coitus? correct me if im wrong.