Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 34 - Unit Interface and more

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well they cannot be expected to waste to much time on unimportant countries like Sweden:)

Outrageous!! There is nothing unimportant about the distinction between the North-Suioni and the West-Suioni. Why, when Halfdan squabbled (as recorded in the skithussaga in ca 890) with his half-brother and sometime buksvåger Elof the hump backed, which resulted in the latter moving across the meadow to make his home in the eastern cattle barn, there was a seed planted for a permanent disconnect between the two tribes. Having them both share not only the same culture, but also the same culture as the residents of the goat herders TWO TOWNSHIPS OVER is not only preposterous, but thoroughly disappointing.

I won't work that way in EU4. Armies don't retreat to nearby provinces anymore, but to more distant, safe ones. Also, they move faster than normal and (perhaps, don't remember) can't be stopped until they reach their destination.
The dev diary says this:
They will usually retreat to one with a high base tax value, forts, and no adjacent enemies. While retreating, the army moves slightly faster, so it will not be overrun, and it has a chance of recovery.

What this means is that if you crush but don’t destroy an enemy army, you still have a period where you can maneuver and besiege provinces, positioning your main army to be ready, in case your enemy does recover. Of course, there is always the possibility of catching shattered armies and eliminating them, but that requires some skillful maneuvering, as well as numerical superiority and some good fortune.
It's still a speculation, but if slightly faster is less than 50% bonus as it is with forced march, then there's good chance of intercepting fleeing army on their route to safety.

I see that quite a lot of things are activated by using monarch points. A bad monarch can really topple a nation...

The dev diary says this:

It's still a speculation, but if slightly faster is less than 50% bonus as it is with forced march, then there's good chance of intercepting fleeing army on their route to safety.
Yes, but remember "retreat mode" from EU3? (With grey arrows)
When an army marched in "retreat mode" you couldn't attack it, even if it marched throuch provinces with enemy armies in them. There was a trick, when you could save your army, by retreating from a battle to the province on the other side of the map, and your army ignored everything until it reached it - but I think they fixed it, so it's no longer possible.

So, if it works the same way in EU4 and the retreating army moves to very distant province, you are wasting MP trying to get there before them, while you could capture some provinces in the time it will take them to reach that safe provice, regroup and attack you again.

Remember, with the new scoring system and ticking warscore, it's more important to capture your target than to completely annihilate the enemy.

Every time I see a screen shot with 'Belt Sound' it still cracks me up. I hope they fix it before release. Belt and sound are two different types of straits, sound is when the straits narrows between two land masses and belt is when it is very straight and doesn't narrow . It is like calling something the 'Ocean Lake' or 'Fjord Bay' :D

Last edited:
I am getting a bit edgy to be honest. I hope the new MP system (which apparently will be used for everything and anything) has been tested again and again and again and works really well.

BTW, can we use MP to buy the game?

Every time I see a screen shot with 'Belt Sound' it still cracks me up. I hope they fix it before release. Belt and sound are two different types of straits, sound is when the straits narrows between two land masses and belt is when it is very straight and doesn't narrow . It is like calling something the 'Ocean Lake' or 'Fjord Bay' :D

This was new to me, and I've been looking for confirming sources, but I have yet to find any.

Are you absolutely certain this is the usage in English? Couldn't it be specific to Danish?

I posted it some weeks ago in an other thread, but there wasn't much reaction. It would be nice, if these sprites would changing depending on the are you currently are (1. Era: Hellebardiers, heavy armored knights and bombards, 2. Era: Pikemen, riders with (in german) Halbharnischen and pistols, three-pounder, 3. Era: Line-infantry, Hussars, amussets):

combat_interface.PNG

My lord bad monarchs will be bad damn. You could make due easily with poor leaders in EU3 but they will now have a big influence. You get a good guy you run into a golden age but a bad one and you might just lose half your terriotory. I am so excited

This together with the fact that each point of manuever moves an army 5% faster, can make a player that focus on it, able to get some really fast moving armies.
I think I just found my favorite idea group. I've always loved speed in "slow" (i.e. TBS and pauseable RTS) strategy games, so this'll be perfect for me :D

Barbarary Pirates : +33% Naval Force Limits
Typo heads-up: I think you have an extra "ar" in there ;)

Its all very nice.

Bit confused here:

In better words: Nations trying to create cores over the Berber nations cores will cost +200% more then usual.

Am I right?

I believe so, as they should start with cores on their own territory & later down Johan says "This creates an interesting mechanic where they can be good naval nation, with a deterrent for all who wish to attack them." the deterrent being high core cost.

I believe so, as they should start with cores on their own territory & later down Johan says "This creates an interesting mechanic where they can be good naval nation, with a deterrent for all who wish to attack them." the deterrent being high core cost.
Well... that's one way to prevent Castille from blobbing in North Africa, I guess...

EDIT: That sounded too negative, I actually think this is quite a good idea, reflecting how hard it is to control a desert area mainly populated by (semi)nomadic tribes.

Last edited: