Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 34 - Unit Interface and more

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Was this written in haste? It needs a bit of proof-reading. I can... I can sort of hear your accent when I read it. I don't mean that in a cruel way.

Very nice information though, I like all of these changes and additions.

Quite a few reasons.
One of them is the stack that is retreating could retreat quite deep into it's own territory, and you don't normally have vision there, if you get there a month before it even arrives other stacks of armies could have already wiped you out with the assistance of attrition on their side, before you even get to fire on that retreating army.

Um... have you ever played EU3? This is not how this ends in EU3. In EU3, you beat the enemy stack to the province they're retreating to and then the enemy stack is automatically obliterated when it arrives because it has to fight a battle at 0 morale. In EU3, and especially multiplayer. big, decisive battles are typically fought with what we call "doomstacks." If your main stack was routed by a doomstack, then nothing else you have nearby is going to be of any help. Attrition was an annoyance at best. It never stopped anyone from dropping a 40K stack onto the front lines, even in the 5.2 beta with the new manpower changes.

Um... have you ever played EU3? This is not how this ends in EU3. In EU3, you beat the enemy stack to the province they're retreating to and then the enemy stack is automatically obliterated when it arrives because it has to fight a battle at 0 morale. In EU3, and especially multiplayer. big, decisive battles are typically fought with what we call "doomstacks." If your main stack was routed by a doomstack, then nothing else you have nearby is going to be of any help. Attrition was an annoyance at best. It never stopped anyone from dropping a 40K stack onto the front lines, even in the 5.2 beta with the new manpower changes.
I won't work that way in EU4. Armies don't retreat to nearby provinces anymore, but to more distant, safe ones. Also, they move faster than normal and (perhaps, don't remember) can't be stopped until they reach their destination.

Looks like some good changes.

The extra cost to core will make North-West Africa less attractive for foreign conquerors without weakening it. Hopefully the AI can take that into account before declaring war on those Africans.

The MP cost to attack natives will make colonisation by killing all the natives less appealing (and consequently make it better to colonise areas with low aggression natives - so more in America and less in Africa!).

Forced marches sound interesting.

I'm relatively sure they announced that the retreat situation would change so getting to the province a retreating army came from is no longer an instant win situation.

Read the combat and units dev diaries again.

mmm... not that I would like to nit-pick or anything but calling everybody in Norther Africa "Berber" sounds like you are oversimplifying things a bit too much...

Not sure if it was already mentioned. Has the option "scorched earth" been twiked in any way? Is it now more useful when our armies got kicked and we have to step back?

I think I see a province named Kovno in Lithuania. It can be named Kaunas so it would be Lithuanian, cause Russian (or Polish, I can't really tell) name looks really bad for me as a Lithuanian :/.
Maybe it's culture based, like in CK2, when province names change depending on who holds them. So it would be "Kovno" when the holder is in slavic culture group, but Kaunas for Lithuanian.

mmm... not that I would like to nit-pick or anything but calling everybody in Norther Africa "Berber" sounds like you are oversimplifying things a bit too much...

I completely agree.

Will you also sign my petition to separate the so-called "Swedish" culture into at the very least Suioni, Geats and Gutes. This over-simplification is outrageous. :angry:

I completely agree.

Will you also sign my petition to separate the so-called "Swedish" culture into at the very least Suioni, Geats and Gutes. This over-simplification is outrageous. :angry:

at a bare minimum.

So, a couple of details I noticed...

It´s the Great Northern War, and Charles XII is on the case.

There appears to be a new province in Kurland.

If Paradox could indulge me and reveal the stats of Karl XII, I would be most grateful.