Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 32 - The more the merrier!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When I first tried to play CK2 online with a friend we spent half an hour trying to open ports, etc. Then we just gave up and used Tunngle.

The ability to hop in the middle of a game sounds fun too.

I've never played any Paradox games multiplayer before but perhaps it's time to try. My biggest concern is the inability to pause at any time and adjust the game speed based on how much stuff is going on.

Well you can pause when you want, but after a minute (maybe thirty seconds) another player can remove your pause, seems good to me.

About changing velocity, well is a thing that can be discussed with other players, during the game, at least is what happen when i play multiplayer.

I've never played any Paradox games multiplayer before but perhaps it's time to try. My biggest concern is the inability to pause at any time and adjust the game speed based on how much stuff is going on.

You get used to it.

Pause is generally disfavored save during peace negotiations or lag during warfare. If you're used to pausing, this is a bit of an adjustment, but before long your problem will likely be how slow Below Normal really is.

It would be interesting to have a game run for 24 hours and have random people join and leave at any given time. It would make things more dynamic.

How many people can play at the same time before it starts to lag or become unstable?

Dunno about EU III, but we ran a few marathon games in EU II. They were often quite interesting, as were Tsunamis (games with 18+ players), if only as an occasional novelty.

There's always a drive to add as many players as possible, but in my experience the best campaigns, even putting technical problems aside, run 8-12. Unless you're playing minors, or a randomized map, more than that, given the strong taboo against annexing players in many games, tends to stagnation.

Of course, I've always been intrigued by an East-West game, with 10 in Europe and 8 in Asia (Persia, three Indians, China divided into three, Japan, maybe toss in a Horde or two). Hotjoin and improved stability might make this feasible...

This sounds amazing. I've had a lot of issues trying to play EU3 in multiplayer, so I'm glad they've completely changed the way it works. Standalone servers also sound awesome, as you'll be able to have pub matches against other people.

Dunno about EU III, but we ran a few marathon games in EU II. They were often quite interesting, as were Tsunamis (games with 18+ players), if only as an occasional novelty.

There's always a drive to add as many players as possible, but in my experience the best campaigns, even putting technical problems aside, run 8-12. Unless you're playing minors, or a randomized map, more than that, given the strong taboo against annexing players in many games, tends to stagnation.

Of course, I've always been intrigued by an East-West game, with 10 in Europe and 8 in Asia (Persia, three Indians, China divided into three, Japan, maybe toss in a Horde or two). Hotjoin and improved stability might make this feasible...

I can't speak for EU4, but in various MP games (Paradox and not) I have played where the map gets crowded enough, the taboo simply gets relaxed. If a game has 5 more German states waiting around, annexing the one won't be so bad... and the nation's ruler can probably hop into some state which needs a sub, if you have 30+ players. Or not; if the MP becomes easy enough, maybe you won't mind so much and simply join another game after being eliminated in one.

There are no technical differences between a singleplayer game, and a multiplayer game. So if you are playing a singleplayer game, you can easily turn on hot-join and allow your friends to join it. You know, once you built up a considerable lead.

Hmm...of course I shall be sure to take advantage of this.

What about the 'co-operative' multiplayer promised in the game's features?

Is C-op not just the player's choice?

or do you mean two players as the same nation, which I heard rumours about.

Engage in Multiplayer: Battle against your friends or try co-operative multiplayer mode that allows several players to work together to control a single nation

Ah, well, that sounds interesting, however it will work.

I'm going to be joining so many random folks' games and building up massive empires on the other side of the world for them to discover.

That actually is kinda cool. I could be playing Britain and begin to discover the empire's others have built. Makes exploration more exciting!

That actually is kinda cool. I could be playing Britain and begin to discover the empire's others have built. Makes exploration more exciting!

Yeah, the might Chinese Empire and British Empire suddenly find that they own half of the world, each.

I found some good reasons at this topic to buy the game and not just download it. A game with decent MP is 10 times better than single player. I hope it will not be difficult to start and play MP games...